Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: School/Work Dilemma

  1. #1

    School/Work Dilemma

    Hey guys, have a dilemma with school and work that's stressing me out quite a bit and I'm hoping for some additional advice from the wise members of the Hampur.

    I plan on graduating next May. I originally was supposed to graduate now, but due to transferring and switching majors I'm behind by a year. Anyway, as far as number of credits, I can fit them all into the next two semesters and graduate next May. However, due to 3 core Marketing classes I need to take, each being a prerequisite course to the next, it's thrown a wrench into my plans. The courses are MKTG 341, 442, and 446. I was hoping for a couple of things. Option 1: Take 341 in the fall, 442 in the winter, and 446 in the spring. This option is out because I just found out 442 isn't offered in the winter. Option 2: Talk to the department head and get him to waive a prerequisite, so I could take two of those courses simultaneously (i.e. take 341 and 442 in the fall and 446 in the spring OR take 341 in the fall and 442 and 446 in the spring). This option is out because after putting in my request the department chair denied the request. So, I'm now left with the two options I didn't want to resort to. Option 1: Take 341 this summer (starting next week) and graduate when I'm hoping or Option 2: Work full time this summer and put off graduating until next summer, as I would take 446 next summer.

    Now, the biggest problem arose today. I spoke to my boss and was told that if I take this summer class, he unfortunately may have to let me go. Business has been quite slow and he needs to maximize the value of each employee. He can't afford the inconsistency of a part-time employee at the moment. He wants things as consistent and efficient as possible. Due to my poor financial situation at the moment, this poses quite the problem. I can probably find some type of job somewhere to help get me by, but I obviously want to have some stability knowing that I have a job.

    My dilemma is that I can't decide if I should take this class and likely search for work elsewhere or keep my current job and delay graduating, which I really don't want to do any further. Normally this wouldn't stress me out so much, but some unforeseen expenses throughout the school year, coupled with limited work at a ****ty job at school, have left my finances in shambles.

    All advice and wise cracks are welcome. Thanks, gentlemen.
    Last edited by DevsJetsYanks88; 05-18-2011 at 07:30 PM.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    great midwest -well not so great
    Posts
    9,610
    If ur anything like me, if you don't get it now, you'll put it off for a long time...get the paper now.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    It looks like you don't really have a choice at this point.

    Unless you have a connection to a well-paying summer job that will work with your schedule this summer, you have to finish up next summer -- it's the easiest way. Just make sure the course is offered next summer.

  4. #4
    [QUOTE=Peebag;4032290]If ur anything like me, if you don't get it now, you'll put it off for a long time...get the paper now.[/QUOTE]

    Paper as in money or diploma? Lol

    I know I'll get the class done and over with next summer, if that's the route I choose to take. I've just had it set in my mind that I'll have graduated by next May.

  5. #5
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;4032292]It looks like you don't really have a choice at this point.

    Unless you have a connection to a well-paying summer job that will work with your schedule this summer, you have to finish up next summer -- it's the easiest way. Just make sure the course is offered next summer.[/QUOTE]

    Yes, that's the last thing I need them to assure before I make my decision. That the course is definitely offered next summer. It's offered this summer, so I assume it would likely be offered next summer as well, but I need to find out definitively.

    This is a good, well-paying job (considering I'm just a student) so I'm reluctant to let it go.
    Last edited by DevsJetsYanks88; 05-18-2011 at 07:43 PM.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    [QUOTE=DevsJetsYanks88;4032294]Yes, that's the last thing I need them to assure before I make my decision. That the course is definitely offered next summer. It's offered this summer, so I assume it would likely be offered next summer as well, but I need to find out definitively.[/QUOTE]

    You may not get a definitive answer, since sometimes schools don't make the decision this early.

    If they do, some colleges will let you walk in May with your class if you have just one class to finish up, which is a plus for your family to come out and enjoy the ceremony.

  7. #7
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;4032296]You may not get a definitive answer, since sometimes schools don't make the decision this early.

    If they do, some colleges will let you walk in May with your class if you have just one class to finish up, [B]which is a plus for your family to come out and enjoy the ceremony.[/B][/QUOTE]

    Another thing that I was thinking about.

    I'm of the first generation in my family to go through college and will be the first to graduate other than my cousin. I want my family to be able to enjoy it with the ceremony and that whole nine yards.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    [QUOTE=DevsJetsYanks88;4032302]Another thing that I was thinking about.

    I'm of the first generation in my family to go through college and will be the first to graduate other than my cousin. I want my family to be able to enjoy it with the ceremony and that whole nine yards.[/QUOTE]

    yeah that was a big deal for me, I was in an identical situation and it meant a lot for my mom, dad, brother, grandparents, etc. to come out.

    Ask the school about their policy.

  9. #9
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;4032305]yeah that was a big deal for me, I was in an identical situation and it meant a lot for my mom, dad, brother, grandparents, etc. to come out.

    Ask the school about their policy.[/QUOTE]

    Definitely going to be something I ask when I call tomorrow.

    Appreciate the advice.

  10. #10
    In 5 years or so.....won't matter so do what you want.

    marketing??? Take them all at the same time. the school is full of $hit with the pre req stuff. :yes:

    It ain't brain surgery......

  11. #11
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4032395]In 5 years or so.....won't matter so do what you want.

    marketing??? Take them all at the same time. the school is full of $hit with the pre req stuff. :yes:

    It ain't brain surgery......[/QUOTE]

    Yea, after thinking it over for a few hours I think I'm going to stick with the job.

    Not worried about the classes at all, just wish the school could see it that way. I've already taken 4 marketing classes and the lowest grade I received was an A-. I could easily take the classes at the same time, just wish they would let me. The school is totally full of ****. I probably should have seen this coming. They've been nothing but a pain in the ass with everything the past 3 years. Whether it be parking, housing, financial aid, class registration, you name it. There's always a problem.

  12. #12
    [QUOTE=DevsJetsYanks88;4032286]Hey guys, have a dilemma with school and work that's stressing me out quite a bit and I'm hoping for some additional advice from the wise members of the Hampur.

    I plan on graduating next May. I originally was supposed to graduate now, but due to transferring and switching majors I'm behind by a year. Anyway, as far as number of credits, I can fit them all into the next two semesters and graduate next May. However, due to 3 core Marketing classes I need to take, each being a prerequisite course to the next, it's thrown a wrench into my plans. The courses are MKTG 341, 442, and 446. I was hoping for a couple of things. Option 1: Take 341 in the fall, 442 in the winter, and 446 in the spring. This option is out because I just found out 442 isn't offered in the winter. Option 2: Talk to the department head and get him to waive a prerequisite, so I could take two of those courses simultaneously (i.e. take 341 and 442 in the fall and 446 in the spring OR take 341 in the fall and 442 and 446 in the spring). This option is out because after putting in my request the department chair denied the request. So, I'm now left with the two options I didn't want to resort to. Option 1: Take 341 this summer (starting next week) and graduate when I'm hoping or Option 2: Work full time this summer and put off graduating until next summer, as I would take 446 next summer.

    Now, the biggest problem arose today. I spoke to my boss and was told that if I take this summer class, he unfortunately may have to let me go. Business has been quite slow and he needs to maximize the value of each employee. He can't afford the inconsistency of a part-time employee at the moment. He wants things as consistent and efficient as possible. Due to my poor financial situation at the moment, this poses quite the problem. I can probably find some type of job somewhere to help get me by, but I obviously want to have some stability knowing that I have a job.

    My dilemma is that I can't decide if I should take this class and likely search for work elsewhere or keep my current job and delay graduating, which I really don't want to do any further. Normally this wouldn't stress me out so much, but some unforeseen expenses throughout the school year, coupled with limited work at a ****ty job at school, have left my finances in shambles.

    All advice and wise cracks are welcome. Thanks, gentlemen.[/QUOTE]

    Are the classes you need offered at night instead of day?

  13. #13
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;4032420]Are the classes you need offered at night instead of day?[/QUOTE]

    Nope, only offered in one time slot over the summer.

    9 - 12 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Right in the middle of the work day.

  14. #14
    Finish the classes, if you boss is going to deep six you even though you just need these last few credits he will dump you the moment things get the least bit worst and you'll be back at square one.

    Tell boss you are committed to finishing your schooling and let the chips fall where they may. If you have to leave, leave on good terms shake his hand and tell him to keep you in mind once your schooling is done. If he doesn't understand that you don't want to work for him long term anyway.

  15. #15
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4032484]Finish the classes, if you boss is going to deep six you even though you just need these last few credits he will dump you the moment things get the least bit worst and you'll be back at square one.

    Tell boss you are committed to finishing your schooling and let the chips fall where they may. If you have to leave, leave on good terms shake his hand and tell him to keep you in mind once your schooling is done. If he doesn't understand that you don't want to work for him long term anyway.[/QUOTE]



    I'm on very good terms with my boss and I have a great deal of respect for him. I place blame on myself for letting this situation take me by surprise. Based on conversations I had with friends and an advisor, I thought it was a foregone conclusion that either the class would be available in the winter or a prerequisite would be waived. It's my own fault for making assumptions and leaving open the possibility of something like this happening.

    If I decide to hold off on the class, I'll have this job full time until the end of August, which is all I need. It's a long story, but I've worked here on and off for the past 3 years (he's always been very flexible with my school schedule). It's just that this time around circumstances are different, due to the state of the business and the positions available. I didn't mean to make it sound as if my boss was screwing me over in the original post. If anything, I'm the one putting him in the tough spot.

    Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by DevsJetsYanks88; 05-18-2011 at 11:45 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us