Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well this is just depressing

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    They could always take that diploma and become a civil servant. You actually need 60 credits (Associates) to be a NYC cop (much to the detriment of good cops everywhere).

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xNFPaPor8A[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ruby2;4032998]The choice of major is quite important. Certain majors had better luck finding a job that required a college degree, according to an analysis by Andrew M. Sum, an economist at Northeastern University, of 2009 Labor Department data for college graduates under 25.

! I had that guy as my professor. He was a real smart dude.[/QUOTE]

For a period from about 1988 to 1998... an accounting major was worth it's weight in $hit unless you went to a TOP school. Wages were depressed by over supply of candidates etc...

NOW? Kids form basic accounting schools are making 45K to 65K to start.

There are jobs out there BUT they are NOT run of the mill and require certain skills.

Look...even RUBY2 got a good job and he posts on JI all day.;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;4033081]This is the problem. "Humanities" majors are only fit to teach....Humanities. People who attend college for 7 years wasting their lives and tens of thousands of dollars in financial aid just to graduate with a Doctorate in "Womens Studies", Philosophy, Italian Studies, or some other nonsensical field of "study" that has no practical value beyond being qualified to teach the subject they have a Doctorate in is a joke. It just furthers the problem.

Ask people with MEDICAL degrees or Engineering, Math, or other "hard" sciences it is to get a job, and you'll find that it isn't all the difficult. Because those degrees are in applied fields that are actually useful to employers.

My wife has a BA in "Communications". Complete waste of time. She wishes she could just return it for a refund. I was a history major, which pretty much amounted in me being decent at Jeopardy and enjoying the History Channel, but my AS degrees in Emergency Medical Services and Fire Science have proven a heck of a lot more useful in the job market.

Oh, and Kyle? Maybe your friends who went to "worse schools" than you are just smarter or were better candidates than you, or have better attitudes and act less entiitled than you - despite their educations at "worse schools"....[/QUOTE]

While I agree mainly...in my field there are a LOT of financial advisors with degrees in history etc...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the same boat as you JetsPennyFan. Graduated last May - majored in History with Political Science and English minors.

Worked in landscaping for most of the year, though I just recently moved out of the parents house after saving up and moved to Colorado.

I'll be two weeks into my move tomorrow, and all I'm doing is applying for jobs in near every field and mulling over what I would study in graduate school if I can't find anything.

I just want that interview. I bet half of these places would love me if I they just spoke to me.

Good luck and stay positive.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4033635]I'm in the same boat as you JetsPennyFan. Graduated last May - majored in History with Political Science and English minors.

Worked in landscaping for most of the year, though I just recently moved out of the parents house after saving up and moved to Colorado.

I'll be two weeks into my move tomorrow, and all I'm doing is applying for jobs in near every field and mulling over what I would study in graduate school if I can't find anything.

I just want that interview. I bet half of these places would love me if I they just spoke to me.

Good luck and stay positive.[/QUOTE]

Genuine question, please don't take this as an attack - Can you explain the logic of going for your Masters (assuming it is in the same field) and adding to your student debt load when you can't find a job in the field in the first place? Do you feel that the only reason you aren't getting a job is because you are underqualified/under-educated? What opportunities will a Masters in History open up that a Bachelors hasn't?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4033645]Genuine question, please don't take this as an attack - Can you explain the logic of going for your Masters (assuming it is in the same field) and adding to your student debt load when you can't find a job in the field in the first place? Do you feel that the only reason you aren't getting a job is because you are underqualified/under-educated? What opportunities will a Masters in History open up that a Bachelors hasn't?[/QUOTE]

When I said:

[QUOTE]all I'm doing is applying for jobs in near every field and mulling over what I would study in graduate school if I can't find anything. [/QUOTE]

That means I'm applying to entry level jobs of every stripe - marketing, real estate, sales, - hell even catering positions and one bank teller job.

And as for graduate school, I'm not looking at graduate school for history. I took the LSAT's, applied and got in to several law schools in NY - but the money and the amount of out of work kids with law degrees dissuaded me.

Anyway, next time try not to come off as judgmental and condescending - and work on those reading comprehension skills. Good talk.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4033635]I'm in the same boat as you JetsPennyFan. Graduated last May - majored in History with Political Science and English minors.

Good luck and stay positive.[/QUOTE]

Ever consider taking the Foreign service exam?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4033683]When I said:

That means I'm applying to entry level jobs of every stripe - marketing, real estate, sales, - hell even catering positions and one bank teller job.

And as for graduate school, I'm not looking at graduate school for history. I took the LSAT's, applied and got in to several law schools in NY - but the money and the amount of out of work kids with law degrees dissuaded me.

Anyway, next time try not to come off as judgmental and condescending - and work on those reading comprehension skills. Good talk.[/QUOTE]

Why move to Colorado?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyway, next time try not to come off as judgmental and condescending - and work on those reading comprehension skills. Good talk.[/QUOTE]

MS in accounting...one year full time you wil command 70k EASY to start.
    Don't care what it costs, it's worth it. Of course you must like business. Excellent field right now.

BTW....I don't think he was condescending or judgmental. IMO.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4033471]There are jobs out there BUT they are NOT run of the mill and require certain skills.[/QUOTE]

Addition and subtraction? :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4033683]Anyway, next time try not to come off as judgmental and condescending - and work on those reading comprehension skills. Good talk.[/QUOTE]

Wow.

:nono:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4033702]Addition and subtraction? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Some even need color by number......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4033687]Why move to Colorado?[/QUOTE]

Have you ever been to Boulder? Great looking women. Great looking mountains. They even have pot stores there, "dispensaries" they're called.

Or the recent college grad can stomp around Manhattan where it costs $20/hr to park your car.

The better question here is: why even stick around New York? This place sucks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;4033749]Have you ever been to Boulder? [B] Great looking women. Great looking mountains.[/B] They even have pot stores there, "dispensaries" they're called.

Or the recent college grad can stomp around Manhattan where it costs $20/hr to park your car.

The better question here is: why even stick around New York? This place sucks.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I've seen one fat chick. ONE in two weeks. I walk around a lot. Think about that.

I'm gonna be holding off on the dispensaries till I get a job. Haven't even applied for the MMJ license yet... but eventually.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plus I got sick of going to bars on LI and in the city with people that look (and more importantly, act) like this:

[IMG]http://cdn.buzznet.com/media-cdn/jj1/headlines/2009/12/jersey-shore-ratings.jpg[/IMG]

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;4033749]Have you ever been to Boulder? Great looking women. Great looking mountains. They even have pot stores there, "dispensaries" they're called.

The better question here is: why even stick around New York? This place sucks.[/QUOTE]

Touché

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4033104]

I have to say, my Political Science degree was pretty damn useless. And I learned zero practical skills for the real world. [/QUOTE]

If nothing else, I've noticed that you can debate longer in here without posting "GFY" than anyone else.

So there's that. :D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;4033749]Have you ever been to Boulder? Great looking women. Great looking mountains. They even have pot stores there, "dispensaries" they're called.

[B]The better question here is: why even stick around New York? This place sucks.[/B][/QUOTE]

+10000

My wife and I talk about moving to Colorado all the time. Lower cost of living, open space, nice weather, and completely devoid of arrogant, judgemental f*cksticks, unlike NY/NJ.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Oversensitive much? Wow. I even said I was genuinely curious. Hopefully you don't take this response approach during interviews. Maybe you should work on your writing skills because you never said the above in this thread before. See now that was judgemental.