Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Well this is just depressing

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4034580]+10000

My wife and I talk about moving to Colorado all the time. Lower cost of living, open space, nice weather, and completely devoid of arrogant, judgemental [B][I]f*cksticks[/I][/B], unlike NY/NJ.[/QUOTE]

I love the way we NYers INVENT new curse words......

My buddy Rocco from the Bronx invented "You C0ckF*CK"

BTW.... I mean no disrespect to anyone in NY/NJ but leaving NY, while difficult was a great move. Took a while to get adjusted, but I personally am shocked by how happy I am here in Charlotte. It aint perfect but, NY/NJ has a way of making you believe nothing is better. Not sure I agree anymore.

Banned
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4034715]I love the way we NYers INVENT new curse words......

My buddy Rocco from the Bronx invented "You C0ckF*CK"
    [/QUOTE]

I didn't make it up. I got it from Shawshank Redemption.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4034715]BTW.... I mean no disrespect to anyone in NY/NJ but leaving NY, while difficult was a great move. Took a while to get adjusted, but I personally am shocked by how happy I am here in Charlotte. It aint perfect but, [B]NY/NJ has a way of making you believe nothing is better. [/B] Not sure I agree anymore.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Growing up I felt that way. Now I'm at the point where I'd leave tomorrow if the opportunity presented itself.

Some of my friends still seem to think the town we grew up (Islip) is the center of the universe. One of them keeps telling he hopes i sell my place so I can move back there. No matter how many times I tell him I'm not moving back under any circumstances, it doesn't penetrate his thick (and empty) skull.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 05-23-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4034736]I didn't make it up. I got it from Shawshank Redemption.

I agree. Growing up I felt that way. Now I'm at the point where I'd leave tomorrow if the opportunity presented itself.

Some of my friends still seem to think the town we grew up (Islip) is the center of the universe. One of them keeps telling he hopes i sell my place so I can move back there. No matter how many times I tell him I'm not moving back under any circumstances, it doesn't penetrate his thick (and empty) skull.[/QUOTE]

Charlotte is always looking for teachers, my kids went to Charlotte Catholic and I moved here 15 years ago with NO JOB and very little money. Teaching jobs here don't pay well unfortunately but just a thought. It takes balls to move sometimes.

I grew up in Brentwood and my sister lives in Islip. She HATES the school system and is putting both her young daughters in private school. All those tax dollars.....

Banned
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4034783]Charlotte is always looking for teachers, my kids went to Charlotte Catholic and I moved here 15 years ago with NO JOB and very little money. Teaching jobs here don't pay well unfortunately but just a thought. [B]It takes balls to move sometimes.[/B][/QUOTE]

It certainly does. My wife and I would love to leave, the thought of dropping everything and going is a bit scary. I'm sure she can find work, but while my field seems to be fairly strong here I'm not sure if it is elsewhere. And while the cost of living is less in other places, it's hard to accept a pay cut (something I'd probably have to do).

The other thing is our parents are starting to get older, and it's hard to leave them.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4034783]I grew up in Brentwood and my sister lives in Islip. She HATES the school system and is putting both her young daughters in private school. All those tax dollars.....[/QUOTE]

I don't know why, but Islip seems full of arrogant, conceited a$$holes. Plus the town has gone downhill a bit. It's not a dump, but it's seen better days.

Patchogue (where I live now) isn't the greatest town, but it's making a comeback. The downtown area is being rebuilt, and some nice restaurants and stores are moving in (Blue Point Brewery is down the road from me :yes: ). There's still some rundown areas but that will change over time. The thing is the taxes have been climbing steadily.

Don't get me started on the school taxes......

All League
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4033091]Pretty interesting study, and frankly, not very surprising.

There are no jobs out there right now. I don't care what anyone says, the economy is still in the tank and businesses still live in fear. They don't want to put out money for new employees.[/QUOTE]

I actually don't know anyone who is unemployed right now.

[QUOTE=adb280z;4035193]I actually don't know anyone who is unemployed right now.[/QUOTE]

Well la di da.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=adb280z;4035193]I actually don't know anyone who is unemployed right now.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=pauliec;4035241]Well la di da.[/QUOTE]

Weird.

I got new college grads all around me begging for baby sitting work.

Its good for me since I have a 5 year old...but doesnt portend well for the future.

Oddly, every fast food place I go into seems to have a gaggle of illegal alien chicks working there.

Are our kids spoiled and refusing this work?

Or are they not even an option any more?

:dunno:

I worked, happily, at 3:35 an hour during high school and college...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=32green;4035244]
    Oddly, every fast food place I go into seems to have a gaggle of illegal alien chicks working there.

[/QUOTE]

Did you strip down and attack them, yelling "Don't you know who I am?!"?

I hear they love when that happens....