Thread: MLS vs famous club exhibitions?

MLS vs famous club exhibitions?

yesterday they announced Philadelphia Union vs Real Madrid. they also have a game against Everton that week... Im kinda new to this soccer thing... what to expect from these sorts of games? it's their preseason right?

has anyone gone to these things where a Premiership or La Liga or Serie A team faces an MLS team?

all the posters will advertise chrs. ronaldo but will he even play? Will the teams play defense? do they have unlimited subs? what are these games like? is it like the pro bowl where they are barely trying?

I dont have a lot of opportunities to go but Im wondering if these exhibitions are even worth the time? I want to see good football not say i saw Messi sit on a bench or something... would be better to save my money and time for a "real" game.

to put it into perspective i went to Union v Red Bulls in April and it seemed like an important game. both sides wanted to win.

All Pro
    If Ronaldo does come over, he'll probably give it a go. The quality isnt great, its kind of akin to a spring training game to the Europeans and the MLS players arent too nuts about it because theyre in the middle of their season. If you get cheap tickets, its worth it just because youll never see Ronaldo, Ozil, Kaka, etc. over here. Heres some friendly clips to give you an idea of what to expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUIXaLOYFI4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMnclXv7LKA

Banned
    Its fun if the mls starters play. They are in season so very competitive. At home from what i've seen the mls teams have been fairly successful as well

follow up question do the MLS teams pay for the privilege? i.e. what does Real Madrid get out of this?

I'd probably dish out the cash to see it if the Red Bulls were hosting one of these clubs.

MLS have fared pretty well against these clubs in the past, but these clubs usually don't play many starters. As far as Ronaldo, I'd say it's about 50/50 that you'll get to see him. Hard to say at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    follow up question do the MLS teams pay for the privilege? i.e. what does Real Madrid get out of this?
    I'd say so. MLS clubs benefit from it much more than a club like Real Madrid, in terms of exposure. I'm sure Real Madrid gets a pretty penny from it, which is why they make the trip and take the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    If Ronaldo does come over, he'll probably give it a go. The quality isnt great, its kind of akin to a spring training game to the Europeans and the MLS players arent too nuts about it because theyre in the middle of their season. If you get cheap tickets, its worth it just because youll never see Ronaldo, Ozil, Kaka, etc. over here. Heres some friendly clips to give you an idea of what to expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUIXaLOYFI4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMnclXv7LKA
    Woof, John Harkes makes me cringe.

Crazy that two of those Barca players are now on RBNY.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    They get exposure in the last great untapped soccer market

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I'd say so. MLS clubs benefit from it much more than a club like Real Madrid, in terms of exposure. I'm sure Real Madrid gets a pretty penny from it, which is why they make the trip and take the time.
    I disagree. Real Madrid gets exposure in US media (not a lot, but some) they get the opportunity to make some amount of headway into the growing US market.