Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USNT gold cup roster

USNT gold cup roster

thoughts?

The U.S. opens its Gold Cup schedule against Canada in Detroit on June 7 followed by matchups against Panama in Tampa on June 11 and Guadeloupe on June 14. The team is set to face Spain in a tuneup game on June 4 in Boston with the same roster.

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Etienne), Jonathan Bornstein (UANL Tigres), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Eric Lichaj (Leeds), Oguchi Onyewu (FC Twente), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Freddy Adu (Rizespor), Michael Bradley (Aston Villa), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (New England Revolution), Jermaine Jones (Blackburn Rovers), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew)

FORWARDS (3): Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Jozy Altidore (Bursaspor), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
    i'll kick it off with my thoughts

• I might be the only dude left in the Western hemisphere who wants Bornstein starting
    • Freddy Adu is reportedly in great form, interesting
    • backing up Tim Howard is the worst
    • Agudelo wearing number 9?

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    thoughts?

i'll kick it off with my thoughts

• I might be the only dude left in the Western hemisphere who wants Bornstein starting
    • Freddy Adu is reportedly in great form, interesting
    • backing up Tim Howard is the worst
    • Agudelo wearing number 9?

Freddy Adu in great form? Hope so but believe it when I see it.

Will take some convincing on Bornstein, but haven't seen hooch, chunderlo and company play in awhile.
    Last edited by frostlich; 05-23-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Freddy Adu in great form? Hope so but believe it when I see it.
    goal.com had a great article about his life in Turkey

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1614/...d-i-would-like

Itís a different feel and atmosphere compared to some of the other cities he has lived. Rize is a small town in the northeast of Turkey, and there are no distractions around for miles and he does not have the hot spots or attractions that allure young players. All he has is soccer.

ďItís a small town filled with really nice people, thereís no nightclubs or no malls," Adu says.

Sounds ideal for him. Hope he gets it right. Nothing like having expectations like the kid had at one time.

Who's the kid from Cali that Barca is looking at for development? Heard mention of him last weekend during Barcas "B" team match but didn't catch the name.

Banned
    Well, it'll beat Canada, thats for sure

No Robbie Findley

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    No Robbie Findley
    Forgot he existed. Him and Gomez were freaked out in the world cup. He has great athleticism but holy ****, his first touch is horrible. 0 creativity. Wondo and aguedelo can't do much worse albeit in a way lesser cup

Btw, bornstein?!?! Really? He's terrible. Back 4 should be Cherundolo-Onyewu-Demerit-Bocanegra
    Last edited by Bay Ridge Jet; 05-24-2011 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Forgot he existed. Him and Gomez were freaked out in the world cup. He has great athleticism but holy ****, his first touch is horrible. 0 creativity
    Absolutely, awful first touch. Dude also couldn't put the ball on net if it was 5 times the regulation size. Buddle also wasn't all that impressive in the limited time he saw.

Would also love to see Davies get back into form and make the roster once again down the road. He and Altidore together would be nice to see again and Agudelo/Altidore/Davies could potentially be a lot better than the group of forwards we saw last summer.

Agreed on the defense, but even that group leaves a lot to be desired.

All Pro
    Yea it's really terrible that we never landed Subotic. IMO, him not playing for us is worse than Rossi, who grew up idolizing team Italy. He wouldve been our defensive anchor for 10 years.

Yea it's really terrible that we never landed Subotic. IMO, him not playing for us is worse than Rossi, who grew up idolizing team Italy. He wouldve been our defensive anchor for 10 years.
    Completely agree.

My friends always complain about Rossi bailing (which really does suck), but they always fail to mention Subotic. Would have been amazing if both stayed, but I also think Subotic hurts more.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Sounds ideal for him. Hope he gets it right. Nothing like having expectations like the kid had at one time.

Who's the kid from Cali that Barca is looking at for development? Heard mention of him last weekend during Barcas "B" team match but didn't catch the name.

Rize got raped by Ordu 4-0 in the playoffs first leg match at Ordu. Now they'll have to beat Ordu at least 5-0 to get to the final. So I guess Adu's time at rize is over after the next match.

Prepare yourself for the usual 1-1 ties or 1-0 losses. Still no scorers. Altidore, IMO, will eventually be as big a bust as Gholston. Okay, maybe a wrung on the ladder better.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Prepare yourself for the usual 1-1 ties or 1-0 losses. Still no scorers. Altidore, IMO, will eventually be as big a bust as Gholston. Okay, maybe a wrung on the ladder better.
    You know he has been very disappointing over here. I was expecting more from him but he barely cracked the starting 11 at Bursa

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    You know he has been very disappointing over here. I was expecting more from him but he barely cracked the starting 11 at Bursa
    Turk, we've caught wind of Pascal Nouma's rage on the Turkish Survivor. LMAO.

You can keep him.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Turk, we've caught wind of Pascal Nouma's rage on the Turkish Survivor. LMAO.

You can keep him.
    LOL, he's become a household staple. Kebap, rakı and Pascal...He went on dancing with the stars then survivor...I don't know which country should be more embarrased France for producing such a specimen or Turkey for embracing it...

Altough to be fair the dude he went bonkers on is a real annoying piece of **** and had it coming. If anything Pascal is even more popular now than before.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    LOL, he's become a household staple. Kebap, rakı and Pascal...He went on dancing with the stars then survivor...I don't know which country should be more embarrased France for producing such a specimen or Turkey for embracing it...

Altough to be fair the dude he went bonkers on is a real annoying piece of **** and had it coming. If anything Pascal is even more popular now than before.
    I saw the video and he really looked like he wanted to pound his face in, not in a fake 'hold me back, I'll get you' kind of way. He seemed posessed.

Does he speak Turkish? I'm surprised he has enough IQ to learn a new language.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I saw the video and he really looked like he wanted to pound his face in, not in a fake 'hold me back, I'll get you' kind of way. He seemed posessed.

Does he speak Turkish? I'm surprised he has enough IQ to learn a new language.
    He is not fluent but he does speak some Turkish.

Face it you've lost him mate...

LOL
    Last edited by The Turk; 05-24-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Btw, bornstein?!?! Really? He's terrible. Back 4 should be Cherundolo-Onyewu-Demerit-Bocanegra
    People complain a ton about the back line... bornstein is bad, Chandler is good, whatever. I actually like Bornstein but either way the back line and defense isn't the problem with this team.

they need scorers. I don't really have a problem with Bob Bradley keeping his hands off the defense and going with 1 developmental player in Tim Ream. there are like 5 developmental scorers. they need to find someone who can win games. Yes theoretically a jon bornstein might get exploited by a Spain but without goals they don't get that far.

I agree with the thought about Bornstein. He's certainly not a "great" option. But he did play well in the World Cup, for some reason, that gets swept under the "I Hate Bornstein express".

The biggest concern is Tim Chandler deciding not to play. I'm not sure what it means, exactly. I'm looking forward to the Gold Cup though. The Confed Cup experience is some good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    The biggest concern is Tim Chandler deciding not to play. I'm not sure what it means, exactly.
    there's alot of rumors out there... that Chandler was going to join the German player pool... and BB was pre-emptively dumping him... We don't really know what the deal is but i wonder if there is a real difference between Chandler and Ream.

It's not like Tim Chandler is some kind of star. He's a young player with potential to be good. He's playing in the Bundesliga which could lead to people overrating him. we are talking about the 7th or 8th defender which wasn't gonna see much time anyway. It's not like Chandler was going to start over Dolo or Bocanegra... or even deserved to be in that conversation.

Fans love to talk about potential but when the lights are on it's very tough to be an international player with less than 5 caps. they have about 4 or 5 of those guys already at striker.

except for Jer Jones and the 2nd striker the lineup will basically be the same as 2008 WC.