Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So My Birthday is Coming Up And This is What I Got

All League

So My Birthday is Coming Up And This is What I Got

A weekend here:

http://www.harvestinnbandb.com/index.htm

For all you Long Island Locals, please enlighten me about the dos and don'ts, must sees, must avoids, best restaurants, best "beaches"?, best activities, best wineries etc. in Long Island Wine Country. I have been to Long Island only once before (sad having lived in Northern NJ my whole life, but pretty glad I don't deal with that traffic all that often) and I am a virtual Long Island Virgin.

Go...inhabitants of Long Island, enlighten me with all that is Long Island Wine Country and the surrounding areas....

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Bring a frisbee.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

The Harvest B&B?

Don't sleep on your stomach.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    The Harvest B&B?

Don't sleep on your stomach.
    The last time I went there, all the guests had on "Not that there is anything.... wrong with that" Tee shirts.

Fabulous!

-
    Last edited by 32green; 05-23-2011 at 10:51 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    They call it the Harvest Inn....because they harvest turds. Turd Burglars they are....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    They call it the Harvest Inn....because they harvest turds. ....
    Lmao...

juvenile stupidity at its highest artform sort of..... state-iness.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Seriously, the food there is delish. If you can handle the cook peeking through a crack in the door and giggling every time you take a bite.

All League
    LOL at the responses

I used to live in Peconic, and I vacation in the next town over the last few years.

Long Island wine is basically average with a higher than average price tag. Sorry.

The food at restaurants is generally quite good.

If you're looking for activities to do, I can't really think of any except go to the winery tasting rooms. Make sure you have a chauffer.

Otherwise, relax on the beach. That's what I do on my vacations.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

You could do some fishing. Check out the Prime Time 3 in Orient Point. Great boat. Captain Mike always finds the fish.

Hall Of Fame
    Don't let their website fool you. No one walks to the vineyards. Stay away from Pugliese. I've yet to find a wine there that doesn't taste like socks. Osprey's Dominion, Duck Walk and Peconic Bay have the best live music on weekends. Don't know what type of phone you have, but search for the Long Island Wine Country app. It's a pretty decent resource.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Stay away from Pugliese. I've yet to find a wine there that doesn't taste like socks.
    SAR's favorite.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    You could do some fishing. Check out the Prime Time 3 in Orient Point. Great boat. Captain Mike always finds the fish.
    Don't let their website fool you. No one walks to the vineyards. Stay away from Pugliese. I've yet to find a wine there that doesn't taste like socks. Osprey's Dominion, Duck Walk and Peconic Bay have the best live music on weekends. Don't know what type of phone you have, but search for the Long Island Wine Country app. It's a pretty decent resource.
    Beware, Orient Point is like a 20 minute drive from Peconic. Just like JT said, no one walks. Everything is too far for feet. Maybe you could walk next door to that vineyard, but that's about it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    A weekend here:

http://www.harvestinnbandb.com/index.htm

For all you Long Island Locals, please enlighten me about the dos and don'ts, must sees, must avoids, best restaurants, best "beaches"?, best activities, best wineries etc. in Long Island Wine Country. I have been to Long Island only once before (sad having lived in Northern NJ my whole life, but pretty glad I don't deal with that traffic all that often) and I am a virtual Long Island Virgin.

Go...inhabitants of Long Island, enlighten me with all that is Long Island Wine Country and the surrounding areas....

Just stayed there about a month ago, interestingly enough. JT and Tucker are the North Fork afficianados - they gave me the low down of the area. Your schedule/itinerary depends on how long you are going for. We were only out there for a day....hit a few wineries, relaxed and then went to the North Fork Table and Inn for dinner. If you are looking for a nice dinner, that's the way to go.

We weren't there during the summer so we didn't hit the beach (although we did drive out to Orient Point), so you probably want to work some outdoor activities in.

The B&B is nice and the people who run it are great and have great knowledge about wine and what to do in the area and Chris makes a mean breakfast - apple ricotta pancakes, IIRC.

I grew up on Long Island and never really spent time out there - its definitely a different pace than the Hamptons, although I'm sure in the summer that changes. You'll be absolutely shocked about how many wineries are there - you can't swing a cat without hitting another winery. Check out the tasting room - it carries a bunch of wineries that are too small to have their own tasting rooms. We also went to Micari and Peconic Bay, both of which were good (although I'm far from an expert).

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

It actually is right next door to Raphael....you could definitely walk there. If I were going on a serious wine bender, I'd drive to 2 or 3 wineries, park back at the place, walk over to Raphael and then get hammered.

Agree with the Peconic Bay rec - we caught a fun band in the afternoon, ordered a flight and some cheese and relaxed.

Edit: If you are a golfer, you are about 20 minutes away from LI National, which is definitely worthy of being played. Again, it depends on how long you are out there for.
    Last edited by crasherino; 05-24-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Charter JI Member
    stop at the Modern Snack Bar for a 50's throwback

http://modernsnackbar.com/index.html

and then go play a round of golf at LI National down the block

http://golflongislandnational.com/

All League
    Speaking of snack bars, stop at the Helenic Snack Bar on the north road just outside of Orient. One of the best gyros you'll ever have.

If you like a good steakhouse. This is the place Reasonable prices and great food. Go early because they don't take reservations and the place is small. But the marinated steak is really good.

http://www.elbowroomli.com/

Hall Of Fame
    Built on an ancient indian burial ground. Don't watch any staticky tvs.

Veteran
    Three Words

Commack

Motor

Inn

Quote Originally Posted by jetsnrangers View Post
    five Words

Commack

Motor

Inn

Jungle

Room