Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Judge Rules Loughner not competent to stand trial

All Pro
    Life in a mental ward can not be as pleasant as TV and ping pong, But how would I know,

I just keep thinking of Nurse Ratchet and One Flew Over The Coocoo Nest.

How do you sane folks spell cukoo?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4037199]I think it was you who described such perpetrators as lacking "sentience," not me. I was merely pointing out that you were describing an animal, not a human being. On the other hand, I would sustain my opinion that the Walker case is a prime example of a life without parole/death penalty case. A severely autistic, impulsive, violent killer of his own mother (who died because she gave him love) doesn't leave much room for rehabilitation. You would have more likelihood of rehabilitating Charles Manson than him and I think you know it.

Now I didn't say anything about [U]all[/U] mentally ill or mentally disabled people and how they should be treated by society. I don't see someone who is mentally of developmentally disabled as less than me at all. In fact I use the same yardstick fo their criminal behavior as I would myself. To the extent that someone is in need of support, supervision, and structure, I think it's a reflection of a civilized society to provide these resources. To the extent that one of the developmentally disabled is an unpredictable killer, I think the needs of society outweigh his rights to be treated by a different yardstick. You want special rules. I don't.

The rest of your attempts at insult are just vacuous. And I'm not even sure what you're talking about because they don't reflect my views at all... so quote away.[/QUOTE]

Poor choice of words on my part, but since you are in the field I think you know what I was getting at there. As for the rest of it, I agree that there is no chance of any type of rehab, but this kid was going to be institutionalized either way. And if I can admit that, you have to be able to admit that there was little to nothing criminal in this beyond the actual death. There was no intent, no motive, nothing.

As for the rest, as many are aware, this is an emotionally charged topic for me and I let it determine my words. I apologize for judging you in such a harsh fashion.

for all those concerned about this miscarriage of justice

here's what will likely happen:

they will put him on enough drugs that his condition is controlled

it might take as little as four months... it might take a decade

[url]http://www.slate.com/id/2295582/[/url]

but what won't happen is this dude hanging out playing ping pong.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4037214]Poor choice of words on my part, but since you are in the field I think you know what I was getting at there. As for the rest of it, I agree that there is no chance of any type of rehab, but this kid was going to be institutionalized either way. And if I can admit that, you have to be able to admit that there was little to nothing criminal in this beyond the actual death. There was no intent, no motive, nothing.

As for the rest, as many are aware, this is an emotionally charged topic for me and I let it determine my words. I apologize for judging you in such a harsh fashion.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough and no apology necessary. Obviously I touched a personal nerve without knowing it. I will say that the fact that there was no intent, no motive, etc. can also be viewed as quite frightening, particularly as the killing was perpetrated on a loved one. The lives of many many people can be improved with proper help and support. But it would be arrogant to assume that everyone can be. I'll leave it there...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Jetworks;4037214]Poor choice of words on my part, but since you are in the field I think you know what I was getting at there. As for the rest of it, I agree that there is no chance of any type of rehab, but this kid was going to be institutionalized either way. And if I can admit that, you have to be able to admit that there was little to nothing criminal in this beyond the actual death. There was no intent, no motive, nothing.

As for the rest, as many are aware, this is an emotionally charged topic for me and I let it determine my words. I apologize for judging you in such a harsh fashion.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4037219]Fair enough and no apology necessary. Obviously I touched a personal nerve without knowing it. I will say that the fact that there was no intent, no motive, etc. can also be viewed as quite frightening, particularly as the killing was perpetrated on a loved one. The lives of many many people can be improved with proper help and support. But it would be arrogant to assume that everyone can be. I'll leave it there...[/QUOTE]

Just want to say I was riveted by both of your postings as regards this issue..and you both handled what could have been an ugly meltdown better than I prolly would have.

Refreshing!

:D

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4036594]i've never understood why revenge is considered the same as justice. killing this man might make society a safer place... but it won't bring back those he's killed.[/QUOTE]

The first part of that is what matters, because we are alive. Bullet to the brain.