Thread: Too Big to Fail HBO movie

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Too Big to Fail HBO movie

Anyone get a chance to watch this movie? Great actors and interesting movie based on the book.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did catch it and it was an interesting look inside what it might have been like

the cast was ridiculous. Paul Giamatti and TOny Schalub could do a toothpaste commercial together and I'd think it was awesome.

the ending was a little gloomy. It implied that the banks all merged and the problem is worse than before. Not entirely true there are stress tests and hair triggers on the market... and a certain amount of capital the banks are required to keep... none of that existed before 2008.

I think the Fed and TARP saved a possible great depression. for all the Adam Smith right wingers who think that the free market is so great... this was a group of Republicans and business leaders (bush was still Prez), when faced with the real world decisions... got extremely Keynesian... and it worked. a slow recovery and eventual inflation is far better than complete financial collapse and every bank failing... they did the right thing, as painful as it was at the time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4038117]I did catch it and it was an interesting look inside what it might have been like

the cast was ridiculous. Paul Giamatti and TOny Schalub could do a toothpaste commercial together and I'd think it was awesome.

the ending was a little gloomy. It implied that the banks all merged and the problem is worse than before. Not entirely true there are stress tests and hair triggers on the market... and a certain amount of capital the banks are required to keep... none of that existed before 2008.

I think the Fed and TARP saved a possible great depression. for all the Adam Smith right wingers who think that the free market is so great... this was a group of Republicans and business leaders (bush was still Prez), when faced with the real world decisions... got extremely Keynesian... and it worked. a slow recovery and eventual inflation is far better than complete financial collapse and every bank failing... they did the right thing, as painful as it was at the time.[/QUOTE]

It was a great cast and I would love to know how much of the inside the room conversations were accurate.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad Obama didn't cause it, this thread would be jumping.......:cool:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4038310]Too bad Obama didn't cause it, this thread would be jumping.......:cool:[/QUOTE]

small enough to fail... frequently

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4038117]the cast was ridiculous. Paul Giamatti and TOny Schalub could do a toothpaste commercial together and I'd think it was awesome. [/QUOTE]

+1, Giamatti especially. I loved the Adams Minseries he was in on HBO< he was truly brilliant in that IMO.

I'll refrain from comment on the rest of your post, you probably already kow every word I'd say on it anyhow.:D

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4038114]Anyone get a chance to watch this movie? Great actors and interesting movie based on the book.[/QUOTE]

I was quite taken by 3 things in the movie....it left me wondering how factual it is bu I do like Sorkin when he is on CNBC. I would like to think it is close to real fact.

1) it was quite telling IMO how the SEC chairman was literally afraid of the big bankers. Until you bank 20 mil.....no one respects you in that industry. THIS SEC was also blind to Madoff.

2) they made Paulsen look like a hero..... Perhaps he was but I wonder how good the info was but I like the way Paulsen was portrayed. Ditto with Bernanke, who has disappointed me as his monetary policy seem distant from some of his writings pre fed. Paulsen has banked over 100 mil and has no fear and does NOT need the approval or backing of the bankers or congress so he did the right thing. Refreshing in comparison to then typical McCain bull crap .

3) my favorite line......"you tell Geitner to fuggin blow me.... I'm trying to save my company".

Thoroughly enjoyed the movie.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 05-30-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4038472]I was quite taken by 3 things in the movie....it left me wondering how factual it is bu I do like Sorkin when he is on CNBC. I would like to think it is close to real fact.

1) it was quite telling IMO how the SEC chairman was literally afraid of the big bankers. Until you bank 20 mil.....no one respects you in that industry. THIS SEC was also blind to Madoff.

2) they made Paulsen look like a hero..... Perhaps he was but I wonder how good the info was but I like the way Paulsen was portrayed. Ditto with Bernanke, who has disappointed me as his monetary policy seem distant from some of his writings pre fed. Paulsen has banked over 100 mil and has no fear and does NOT need the approval or backing of the bankers or congress so he did the right thing. Refreshing in comparison to then typical McCain bull crap .

3) my favorite line......"you tell Geitner to fuggin blow me.... I'm trying to save my company".

Thoroughly enjoyed the movie.[/QUOTE]

We agree. :D Well except for the Bernanke monetary policy, I have no idea. :D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished watching it.

Again, the biggest asset our country has is WB. What a fargin genius.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found it entertaining. The one thing I was happy to see was Modine's portrayal of Thain was in keeping with the general consensus that the guy is an arrogant, self-centered d00sh.