Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Talk 2011

Veteran

Transfer Talk 2011

We just signed Johan elmander from Bolton (formerly of Toulouse) RD what's your take about him?

BD, Kewell and Neill are gone. After the year we've had we're cleaning house. I think Kewell's next stop is either MLB or Australia, sorry to say but he just can't finish a european season anymore...

And it's a German/Turkish midfield at Real Madrid with Nuri Sahin and Hamit Altintop going there with Mesut already there. They'll be interesting to see, I hope it benefits the national team so we can watch some top level matches again.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    We just signed Johan elmander from Bolton (formerly of Toulouse) RD what's your take about him?

BD, Kewell and Neill are gone. After the year we've had we're cleaning house. I think Kewell's next stop is either MLB or Australia, sorry to say but he just can't finish a european season anymore...

And it's a German/Turkish midfield at Real Madrid with Nuri Sahin and Hamit Altintop going there with Mesut already there. They'll be interesting to see, I hope it benefits the national team so we can watch some top level matches again.
    Elmander had a hot streak during his stay at Toulouse where he was absoultely on fire. Then kind of pooped out like the rest of the team.

Big guy, sort of Milan Baros type striker. Good technically, and doesn't need to be in a perfect position to shoot. Very combative, will hound defenders when they have the ball. Will also get yellow cards. Have no idea what he's done since he left Toulouse though.

I'd say he's good for 12-15 goals at least. More if he finds a groove.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Elmander had a hot streak during his stay at Toulouse where he was absoultely on fire. Then kind of pooped out like the rest of the team.

Big guy, sort of Milan Baros type striker. Good technically, and doesn't need to be in a perfect position to shoot. Very combative, will hound defenders when they have the ball. Will also get yellow cards. Have no idea what he's done since he left Toulouse though.

I'd say he's good for 12-15 goals at least. More if he finds a groove.
    Baros is reportedly on the way out, he has been good here but he has also been injured too much. He's played like 20 games total the past two years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Baros is reportedly on the way out, he has been good here but he has also been injured too much. He's played like 20 games total the past two years.
    I think he has the record for speeding here for a football player around 230 km/h when he played for Lyon. That's about the only thing of interest he did.

Veteran
    Speaking of transfers rumor is controlling interest in PSG is being sold to a fund from Qatar...Here comes the arabic sugardaddies RD, I'm sure the Boulogne Boys will love being owned by arabs, LOL

Jets Insider VIP
    Speaking of transfers rumor is controlling interest in PSG is being sold to a fund from Qatar...Here comes the arabic sugardaddies RD, I'm sure the Boulogne Boys will love being owned by arabs, LOL
    It’s a done deal. A quatari investment group now has 70% of PSG.

We actually had an amazing season playing arguably the most offensive football in Ligue 1. Bad efficiency in front of the net and some bad goalkeeping kept us out of Champions League contention.

I wouldn’t read too much into it. We’re not going to turn ourselves into a Manchester City. Quatari’s are patient (again from what I’ve read) compared to Arab emirates who make a big splash in transfers. It’s still Ligue 1 (ie: not extremely attractive in terms of exposure).

It’s good news nonetheless.

I wouldn’t read too much into it. We’re not going to turn ourselves into a Manchester City.
    just cherrypicking is it a bad thing to be Man City? They seem to have a pretty awesome roster.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    just cherrypicking is it a bad thing to be Man City? They seem to have a pretty awesome roster.
    Not at all. I'd die from masturbation if we started spending like Man City. That's my point. For various reasons, I doubt we're going to be buying top tier guys left and right just because our owners are filthy rich.

Veteran
    Depends on the club culture and the legal status Bit.

The sports culture is very different in europe and the states. For example our clubs are not franchises, in Turkey they are set up as associations and have very conservative management structures. There is a bylaw that governs the association and also under Turkish law associations are not-for-profit organizations.

To give an example from Galatasaray;

We are a sporting club association founded in 1905. Since that time there has been only about 17000 people that have become members of the associations. It's those 17000 people that vote as a general assembly on all important matters (such as election of the BoD, buying and selling real estate, investments of any sort etc.) So no one has ever owned Galatasaray, it is truly owned by its members. So when we see a sporting club being bought and sold like a commodity or a business its very strange for us.

To be an "Abrahamovic" is very much a curse in Turkey.

There is also a very strong resistence amongst the hardcore supporters against "industrialesed football" In extreme cases they will not buy any product made for commercial gain like replica jerseys, they do not accept commercials on jerseys, they do not accept players names being written on jerseys etc.

When you look at it from that perspective Man City was a better club when it was playing for a full stadium in the second division then when they sold their sould for money.

Personally I'm somewhere in the middle, I would abhor a sugerdadhy but I'm not so extreme as to not buy jerseys etc.

Veteran
    We've signed Ujfalusi from atletico madrid and the Uruguayan keeper Muslera.

I like both signings nothing flashy but good.

Black Death you guys are coming over for a friendly at the end of the month in our new stadium.

I like both signings nothing flashy but good.

Black Death you guys are coming over for a friendly at the end of the month in our new stadium.
    Sweet mate - our two countries a pretty close (no homo) so should be truly a friendly.

Apologies - haven't dropped in on this forum for a while - life has interrupted which happens.

Hope Kewell and Neill gave you some good service - believe Harry did for a while at least. As you say his career is basically shot and now he's cashing in his celebrity over here while he can. The game just isn't big over here so he'll be a big fish in a small bowl. At the moment its the AFL season over here so I've been following that - that's the biggest winter sport out here and the players who play it are loved much more here than "soccer" players. Went to a fantastic AFL game in Melbourne last weekend and can see why "soccer" will never get a foothold out here among the greater sporting public. "Aussie" Rules is just built into the fabric of the community out here and watching it you can see why.

Obviously I follow 'Pool and the Jets so I can follow some type of football year round which is great for me.

Cold as a seal's cod bag right now so I'll sign off.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    Sweet mate - our two countries a pretty close (no homo) so should be truly a friendly.

Apologies - haven't dropped in on this forum for a while - life has interrupted which happens.

Hope Kewell and Neill gave you some good service - believe Harry did for a while at least. As you say his career is basically shot and now he's cashing in his celebrity over here while he can. The game just isn't big over here so he'll be a big fish in a small bowl. At the moment its the AFL season over here so I've been following that - that's the biggest winter sport out here and the players who play it are loved much more here than "soccer" players. Went to a fantastic AFL game in Melbourne last weekend and can see why "soccer" will never get a foothold out here among the greater sporting public. "Aussie" Rules is just built into the fabric of the community out here and watching it you can see why.

Obviously I follow 'Pool and the Jets so I can follow some type of football year round which is great for me.

Cold as a seal's cod bag right now so I'll sign off.
    Sorry mate it's not the Aussies that are coming its L'pool.

It should still be a friendly though most of our fans have always had a strange affection for L'pool and Barça for no apperant reason.

We were happy with both aussies for a year but we had such a crappy year last year they stunk along with everybody else. But still they'll always be welcome if they ever come to watch a match or something.

All Pro
    I support Arsenal and things seem to be a bit of a mess right now.

They just signed Gerviniho from Lille and are talking to Gary Cahill from Bolton (along with the other big clubs) with Samba from Blackburn as a back-up plan.

It seems they are trying to lure Karim Benzema with a 27 million pound offer from Madrid to replace the inevitable move of Cesc to Barca but Jose sees Karim as a big part of the team next season. Meanwhile, Wenger has sold Clichy to Man City and has United offering 20 million for Nasri.

The club is in flux right now. This transfer window is huge.

Btw Turk, I saw a report linking Arshavin to galatasaray....you hear anything?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    I support Arsenal and things seem to be a bit of a mess right now.

They just signed Gerviniho from Lille and are talking to Gary Cahill from Bolton (along with the other big clubs) with Samba from Blackburn as a back-up plan.

It seems they are trying to lure Karim Benzema with a 27 million pound offer from Madrid to replace the inevitable move of Cesc to Barca but Jose sees Karim as a big part of the team next season. Meanwhile, Wenger has sold Clichy to Man City and has United offering 20 million for Nasri.

The club is in flux right now. This transfer window is huge.

Btw Turk, I saw a report linking Arshavin to galatasaray....you hear anything?
    There was some reports of that but personally İ don't think theres any truth to them as we have many needs but a winger/forward is not one of them we were very interested in forlan, reyes Drogba and Fabiano but couldnt convince
    them to come. İ expect us to get a striker and close up the window unless the mother****ers are really relegated in which case we may transfer a couple of their guys.

Not at all. I'd die from masturbation if we started spending like Man City. That's my point. For various reasons, I doubt we're going to be buying top tier guys left and right just because our owners are filthy rich.

lmao...

or at the very least, develop sloped shoulders

Not a huge move, but good news for US Soccer. Altidore is going to AZ Alkmaar on a transfer (rather than a loan). I think the Dutch league will be good for him, but then again, I thought he was going to succeed in England a year ago.

Either way, Holland is a solid league, and he could be doing worse than playing for a Europa level team.

hes still fairly young for a GK (25) and he makes some amazing saves. Acrobatic, great leaping ability. Has to work on his consistency and guiding a defense but alot of upside there. Has his best football still in front of him.

just wanted to follow up, Muslera had an AMAZING game in Uruguay's win over Argentina in Copa America. He played his ass off. good news for you Turk

just wanted to follow up, Muslera had an AMAZING game in Uruguay's win over Argentina in Copa America. He played his ass off. good news for you Turk
    +1. Was wondering who that guy was. He'll have a nice highlight reel after that performance.

Veteran
    hes still fairly young for a GK (25) and he makes some amazing saves. Acrobatic, great leaping ability. Has to work on his consistency and guiding a defense but alot of upside there. Has his best football still in front of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    +1. Was wondering who that guy was. He'll have a nice highlight reel after that performance.
    Thanks guys very good news indeed, we've been having problems in goal for several years now I hopw this guy is the real deal.