Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Gold Cup thread...

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Oof. That red card to Taylor was ****.
    That sequence could have easily ended with the US playing 10 on 11, instead of the other way around.

Freddy Adu sighting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyPaige View Post
    Freddy Adu sighting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweeeeeet ball on that goal.

Jets Insider VIP
    lolz at Panama trying to goad Howard into flying off the handle every chance they got.

Honduras/Mexico has turned out being interesting. 0-0 heading into extra time.

So apparently you can score with your arms now. Cool.

im very much looking forward to sat final. these teams are very evenly matched, despite what you might read. Freddy Adu was an awesome sub, BB deserves credit for that change. Bedoya looked great as well.

Veteran
    I am looking forward to the GC Finals. I hope it doesn't turn into a bloodbath. El Tri is notorious for dirty fouls against the US. The Mexican National team is third on my most hated list. They are behind only the Patriots and Dolphins, but not by much.
    Agree about Freddy Adu. He brought some individual skill and creativity unusual to see from the Americans.
    Last edited by RoadFan; 06-23-2011 at 02:52 PM.

US / Mexico is one the great rivalries. Best of the CONCACAF for sure. I have my doubts about the US, though. It just seems like Mexico is the much more talented team right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    US / Mexico is one the great rivalries. Best of the CONCACAF for sure. I have my doubts about the US, though. It just seems like Mexico is the much more talented team right now.
    We're the underdog, but I think it will be a tight match that could go either way. We'll have to win an ugly one. We have the clear advantage at keeper and I'd say we probably have a better midfield. They have the clear advantage at forward (not even close) and I honestly don't know much about their defense, but I'd say they are equal to us at the very least.

Ugh.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

it wasn't a pretty ending but that's about how that game should go... Mexico does have more talent, especially up front. end of the day their world class strikers were better than our world class goalie... tim let a couple get away from him.

I thought BB did a good job with the starting lineups and Adu could be a fixture on this team for years to come (he's naturally left footed and they don't have any others like him). towards the end of the game you get to see what kind of talent Bradley has to work with... when bringing in Sasha k is your last move it speaks to the depth of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    it wasn't a pretty ending but that's about how that game should go... Mexico does have more talent, especially up front. end of the day their world class strikers were better than our world class goalie... tim let a couple get away from him.

I thought BB did a good job with the starting lineups and Adu could be a fixture on this team for years to come (he's naturally left footed and they don't have any others like him). towards the end of the game you get to see what kind of talent Bradley has to work with... when bringing in Sasha k is your last move it speaks to the depth of the program.
    I think bring Bornstein was a mistake. Though, not so much because I thought he would play as bad as he did (After all, he did play pretty well in the WC last year). But Bradley disrupted everyone on the defensive line. Lihaj was doing okay at Left Back, why move him over, when you could have brought Ream over. Obviously Gooch must be hurt (or just been terrible in practices). The US does not have a lot of depth, that is obvious.
    But I think the way that the US got embarrassed is a dark sign. If the US is to fire Bradley, they need to get someone who's allowed total control, if the new coach is not allowed that, then it doesn't matter.

All Pro
    This tournament showed what the red tape in the managment of US soccer has done. At what point do they realize what a true football manager could do with the development of young talent. We should be a consistent top 10 (8-12) team.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    This tournament showed what the red tape in the managment of US soccer has done. At what point do they realize what a true football manager could do with the development of young talent. We should be a consistent top 10 (8-12) team.
    Unless you think that the management of US Soccer could find a way to break into the talented athletes in the cities of america then I don't see how it's going to be a consistent top 10 team.
    If kids started playing soccer on basketball courts in the city, then there's no question the US would be a very good team. And while soccer has made waves in the last generation (remember it's only 20 years since the US made their first world cup of the modern era and only 15 years since they started a league) I don't believe they have the same kind of market penetration in cities as they do in the suburbs.
    That's an issue that's far deeper than whoever's coaching the US team.

I think bring Bornstein was a mistake. Though, not so much because I thought he would play as bad as he did (After all, he did play pretty well in the WC last year).

Ive defended Bornstein before... that's over with. He does in fact suck. I understand the thinking... put a natural left back over on the left side, take Lihaj put him at his natural right back position... especially with Bornstein playng in Mexico he should have some knowledge of these players... but Bornstein didn't hold up his end of the bargain.

Definitely it was a move based on injury, i don't think Bradley went into the gold cup final planning on putting Bornstein in the 20th minute.

I don't believe they have the same kind of market penetration in cities as they do in the suburbs.
    That's an issue that's far deeper than whoever's coaching the US team.
    +1 look at the greatest players in the world, they almost always come from squalor. a "just me and my football" situation. I could be wrong... but off the top of my head no one great comes from a stable household and a travel team. Even look at the USA their best player Clint Dempsey comes from an angry place. we can talk all day about "why" this is the case but it doesn't change the facts.