Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Gold Cup thread...

wondering where that game was played....field couldn't have been much worse. Detroit I gather.

Bradley looked inspired...how his pass off of Cherundelo(I think) early on didn't go in I'll never know.

Got hopes for the Agudelo kid. Looks to have potential.

Good result.

Those consecutive saves by Howard near the end were fantastic.

Tim howard was great

Donovan and Dempsey were outstanding

Bradley, Jones played very well

good to see Jozy get out of his slump

Ream and Goodson are not really the starters are they?

that turf was atrocious

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Tim howard was great

that turf was atrocious
    I thought Bradley was ebtter than Jones, but they both played well. The US has a defense issue, Ream got beat a few times, but wasn't terrible, but it's not like they have more top defenders waiting in the wings. Onyewu is very slow, Bornstein is borderline at best (and I'm someone who thinks he gets a bit of an unfair rep)

I thought Donovan was all right, but hideous on corner kicks. He made some great passes, though. The turf was a total joke.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Tim howard was great

that turf was atrocious
    Not that he was terrible, but I actually wasn't all that impressed with Donovan. Seemed to kind of disappear at times.

I actually thought Bradley was the best field player over the full 90. From my own view, I give him and Howard a share of man of the match.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I thought Bradley was ebtter than Jones, but they both played well. The US has a defense issue, Ream got beat a few times, but wasn't terrible, but it's not like they have more top defenders waiting in the wings. Onyewu is very slow, Bornstein is borderline at best (and I'm someone who thinks he gets a bit of an unfair rep)

I thought Donovan was all right, but hideous on corner kicks. He made some great passes, though. The turf was a total joke.
    I'm not all that comfortable with Ream back there at the moment. He's regressed from last season. He was phenomenal for the Red Bulls last year, while playing every minute of the season. This year he's made his share of mistakes for them, including a handful of really boneheaded plays on passes and clearing attempts. This has also carried into his international caps, as I haven't been overly impressed with him in the few matches he's seen significant action.

All Pro
    Donavan was the definition of meh

I wish they played a game here...instead they play in Detroit, Tampa and Kansas City?!?!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I'm not all that comfortable with Ream back there at the moment. He's regressed from last season. He was phenomenal for the Red Bulls last year, while playing every minute of the season. This year he's made his share of mistakes for them, including a handful of really boneheaded plays on passes and clearing attempts. This has also carried into his international caps, as I haven't been overly impressed with him in the few matches he's seen significant action.
    +1

Much more comfortable with DeMerit, especially after schooling Rooney in the WC.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    +1

Much more comfortable with DeMerit, especially after schooling Rooney in the WC.
    Whoa, a JT appearance in here?

We won't tell anyone.

It doesnt really matter who the second center back is. The way the bracket sets up we won't play another team who can beat us until the final. At that point it doesnt matter either because Chicharito will have his way with who ever we throw out there.

Mexico's biggest strength matches up with the US biggest weakness right now. ****ing sucks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post

We won't tell anyone.
    lol

I often lurk.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post

We won't tell anyone.
    Noted.

Exclamation ruh-roh...

http://www.fmfstateofmind.com/2011/6...mexico-vs-cuba

Six Mexican National Team Players Removed From Gold Cup Squad, Banned From Team For Positive Doping Tests

Ezra Shaw - Getty Images

An incredible story has come out today that six Mexican national team players have failed doping tests. Ricardo Osorio was one of the players, but he had already left the squad due to injury. The five other players who tested positive for the banned substance clenbuterol are Fransisco 'Maza' Rodriguez, Guillermo 'Memo' Ochoa, Edgar Dueñas, Sinha, and Christian 'Hobbit' Bermudez.

All five players have been removed from the team and will not participate further in the Gold Cup. The tests were done outside of the competition by the FMF, so there is no risk of Mexico having to forfeit their result against El Salvador. If the positive tests are upheld, all six players face one year bans from the national team.

The FMF is thoroughly investigating the case, and they believe that tainted chicken was to blame for the positive tests, not intentional doping. Nonetheless, as the investigation and appeals process takes its course, all six players will stay out of the team. Mexico is asking CONCACAF to allow them to call in replacement players, but they will play today with less than a full 18 man squad.

Wow.

Too bad Chicharito wasn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyPaige View Post
    It doesnt really matter who the second center back is. The way the bracket sets up we won't play another team who can beat us until the final. At that point it doesnt matter either because Chicharito will have his way with who ever we throw out there.

Mexico's biggest strength matches up with the US biggest weakness right now. ****ing sucks.
    Yup, freaking blows.

I'd say we are on par with them otherwise, maybe even better in the midfield, but their attack has the ability to torch our defense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    lol

I often lurk.
    Welcome

Jets Insider VIP
    Too late to sub in Alexi Lalas and Marcelo Balboa?

Terrible half in all aspects. Pathetic.

Jets Insider VIP
    If I were Howard, I'd be choking Ream and Goodson.

Boos and the finish. Ouch.