Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gold Cup thread...

The Gold Cup thread...

yes?

no?

POSSIBLY???

Well...if Saturdays friendly w/Spain tells us anything....hope US doesn't field the B team.

I do want to see more of this Agudelo kid though...maybe the Red Bullers can chime in on him.

my impressions from the Spain game

-without Dempsey and Donovan they are a medicore (Terrible) team

- Robby Rogers sucks

- Tim Ream... sucks

-Sasha Klijstan... borderline at best

- people talk alot of crap about Michael Bradley, he's clearly one of their best midfielders

- Gooch actually played some D. He's not bad. Another guy people talk endless crap about... but he's tall (useful for headers on set pieces) and can stop runs in the middle.

-Jozy Altodore is in terrible form and has been useless for more than a year. I'd almost rather see Wondo at this point. it's getting close.

Never understood the hate on Gooch. Played his azz off in the win vs Spain. Got buried on the Milan bench and has taken awhile to get back in form after that nasty injury awhile back.

Although I want the US to win, I'll be pulling for Costa Rica. I mean, who wouldn't love to play with Angie Quesada? Oh, I forgot, we're on JI, home of the über-captious.

She is such a sweetheart.

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Never understood the hate on Gooch. Played his azz off in the win vs Spain. Got buried on the Milan bench and has taken awhile to get back in form after that nasty injury awhile back.
    The dude is a statue, I'm sorry. He's playing because the US doesn't have any better, but he's not the guy he used to be. It's like he's running in cement out there.

I've never understood the Michael Bradley hate, the guy has always played well for the US team. The only guy in his position that has been as good is Holden, and sadly, the guy just can't catch a break (He's been injured by thugs in 2 consecutive seasons).

For all the crap Bob Bradley gets, he does try new things, I think the bottom line is that the US team is just not that talented. Right now, it's hard to imagine this team beating Mexico in the Gold Cup, but stranger things have happened.

The forward situation is a total disaster right now. There isn't a forward who can put the ball on net, I keep waiting for Altidore to snap out of it, but it just hasn't happened.

Banned
    i'm going to the red bull arena to get smashed and root for jamaica in their game

Well...if Saturdays friendly w/Spain tells us anything....hope US doesn't field the B team.

I do want to see more of this Agudelo kid though...maybe the Red Bullers can chime in on him.
    Agudelo certainly has the talent and head, but he's still just so damn young and inexperienced. He doesn't get a whole lot of time for RBNY anymore. Pretty much a late game sub, but he has looked pretty solid in his time. The emergence of Luke Rodgers at forward has limited Agudelo's role to that late game spark plug. I'd say he likely becomes a full time starter next season.

He likes to dribble and get a little flashy, but I don't mean that in a negative sense. Even at his young age, he does a good job picking his spots and draws a ton of fouls from making guys miss with their tackles. It's hard to judge from his small body of work, but he looks like he can be an excellent finisher. The goal he scored against DC earlier in the season was brilliant. I'd be willing to bet he becomes far and away our best option up top come 2014.

I was at a friends graduation party Saturday, so when Spain jumped ahead in the first half I decided I had more important things to focus on than that blowout. Therefore, I can't really comment on how he played.

However, he was absolutely putrid in that friendly against Argentina a couple months ago IMO. Granted he was playing against an attack that included Messi, which can make any defender look foolish, but he just looked lost back there.

Jets Insider VIP
    What was the logic behind fielding a B team?

B

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    What was the logic behind fielding a B team?
    I think the idea was to give the starters a rest before copa cup. Brutal to watch. Only saw the first half. 3-0 at end of half and it didn't look like ESP was even trying.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think the idea was to give the starters a rest before copa cup. Brutal to watch. Only saw the first half. 3-0 at end of half and it didn't look like ESP was even trying.
    Bad idea IMO.

Never give up the opportunity to measure yourself against the best. Great pick btw with Stam. He was on my list.

It's weird, it's like Bradley and the USSF weren't on the same page, because I get the feeling that the US team didn't really want to play this game, and it was a money grab (65,000 at Foxboro), but they could not have looked worse.

Mexico is the clear favorite right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Although I want the US to win, I'll be pulling for Costa Rica.

I mean, who wouldn't love to play with Angie Quesada?
    good to have you on our side, Borgo

although, it'd be even better to be on/in Angie's backside

What channel is the match on tonight? Please don't say FSC, I don't feel like watching online.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    What channel is the match on tonight? Please don't say FSC, I don't feel like watching online.
    sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyPaige View Post
    sorry...
    Damn

If anyone finds a good link to watch, would they mind posting it?

Pathetic goalkeeping by the Canadian keeper, but I'll take it. Maybe that gets Jozy going.

US still has a lot of trouble making the final pass and finishing, but they were in control most of the game, in particular Bradley was all over the place, and Altidore looked good too (though it seemed like the US did a lot of walking around without the ball).

Good lord terrible goalkeeping on Canada's part, but that field was a total joke. I'm pretty sure that's the last Gold Cup game in Detroit, I don't think they should play any more games there. woof.