Page 18 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: The Video Game thread

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
    As much as I'd love to place a pre-order, does anyone think it's a better idea to hold off on the first ones rolling off the conveyor belt to ensure they get any glitches fixed? It seems like the first models of systems always have some kind of issue.
    I have a launch model from each. Both still working.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    I think we're at a point with technology that it shouldn't be an issue, at least for the hardware. Software patches are downloadable and those will always be needed. I feel safe with a pre-order.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I have a launch model from each. Both still working.
    Right on. I've been a home theater guy for a while and in the past, the early adopters always got screwed. Good to see the times have changed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
    As much as I'd love to place a pre-order, does anyone think it's a better idea to hold off on the first ones rolling off the conveyor belt to ensure they get any glitches fixed? It seems like the first models of systems always have some kind of issue.
    I think we're at a point with technology that it shouldn't be an issue, at least for the hardware. Software patches are downloadable and those will always be needed. I feel safe with a pre-order.
    So Im guessing the XB1 is due out in Nov, and PS4 ship date (per amazon) is 12/31?

Think it's time to sell the Wii and PS3 once the PS4 arrives; I cant afford another jumble of wires behind the wall unti, there just isnt any more room for another component.

Although I would hope they would keep the power cord input and everything else the same, this way you could just unplug one system and swap them out as needed.

My wife is going to divorce me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    So Im guessing the XB1 is due out in Nov, and PS4 ship date (per amazon) is 12/31?

Think it's time to sell the Wii and PS3 once the PS4 arrives; I cant afford another jumble of wires behind the wall unti, there just isnt any more room for another component.

Although I would hope they would keep the power cord input and everything else the same, this way you could just unplug one system and swap them out as needed.

I'm 99.9% sure that the December 31st release date is just generic until Sony makes an official statement.

No damn way they miss out on a Christmas release.

That would be beyond stupid.

Yup, that would be the one thing that worries me about the PS4 if I were to buy one. The only reason I can think they wouldn't issue a release date and this point is they aren't sure if they can make November. So retailers are going with 12/31 since Sony committed to 2013

Only if you're lucky

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I'm 99.9% sure that the December 31st release date is just generic until Sony makes an official statement.

No damn way they miss out on a Christmas release.

That would be beyond stupid.
    Yup, that would be the one thing that worries me about the PS4 if I were to buy one. The only reason I can think they wouldn't issue a release date and this point is they aren't sure if they can make November. So retailers are going with 12/31 since Sony committed to 2013

Only if you're lucky

Solid points.

On another note, I ****ing hope Bethesda announces Fallout 4 tonight, but I doubt it. Rumors are swirling like crazy, they also have a 'unannounced title' to show tonight at 8pm (5pmPST), after they show TESO, Wolfenstien, The Evil Within, ????

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post

That's pretty f-ing funny.

Someone put a lot of time into that flowchart. What's funny is that its accurate as hell.

Jets Insider VIP
    MS also said that the XB1 will not work outside of the following countries

Australia
    Austria
    Belgium
    Brazil
    Canada
    Denmark
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Ireland
    Italy
    Mexico
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Norway
    Russia
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    United Kingdom
    United States

If you're into playing imports , PS4 is region free.

Jets Insider VIP
    Also came across this handy chart of all the games from E3, and their platforms -

What was the unnamed title that they showcased tonight, Fish?

Australia
    Austria
    Belgium
    Brazil
    Canada
    Denmark
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Ireland
    Italy
    Mexico
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Norway
    Russia
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    United Kingdom
    United States

If you're into playing imports , PS4 is region free.
    This is the kind of fanboy stuff I love. Are you ever going to play your Xbox in Asia? Who cares! Not directed at you, but at the people who make this ****. I will never understand blind fandom towards a company that doesn't care one bit about you. People are unable to decide based off of games and services. There are certainly reasons to like the PS4 over the new XBOX, but Jesus these nerds will complain about not being able to watch Netflix without a gold account. You're going to have one! Who cares!?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    This is the kind of fanboy stuff I love. Are you ever going to play your Xbox in Asia? Who cares! Not directed at you, but at the people who make this ****. I will never understand blind fandom towards a company that doesn't care one bit about you. People are unable to decide based off of games and services. There are certainly reasons to like the PS4 over the new XBOX, but Jesus these nerds will complain about not being able to watch Netflix without a gold account. You're going to have one! Who cares!?
    Unless MS comes up with something out of the blue to fix this, but its a total PR nightmare...and they seemingly don't care.

There was an interview with Don Mattrick (one of the MS suits), and he was asked if someone wasnts a XB1 but has limited or no internet connectivity, and bluntly said that 'they should buy a 360'.

What?

Seriously? That's your answer?

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2013/06/...0#.UbkyofkqZy4

Edit:found the link
    Last edited by Fishooked; 06-13-2013 at 06:00 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Microsoft has brought this on themselves.

These goofy ass, non-sensical decisions serve no real purpose other than alienating consumers.

Within a mere matter of hours Microsoft went from the favorite to rule the next generation of gaming to being a worldwide laughingstock.

There's tons of people out there who basically live paycheck to paycheck. So if money is tight one month and I have to go a month without internet, by extension I can't play my XBOX?

What the hell is the purpose of this?

And you're telling me that I can no longer borrow or lend games to friends or trade in a game if I get tired of it or just flatout don't like it?

Again, what the hell is the purpose of this?

And to totally neglect Asia, by far the most populated region on the planet?

What kind of silly ass business model is that?

Australia
    Austria
    Belgium
    Brazil
    Canada
    Denmark
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Ireland
    Italy
    Mexico
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Norway
    Russia
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    United Kingdom
    United States
    what??

if you reside outside of this Cliquey and Elitist list of countries, the XBox won't work?

Jets Insider VIP

These goofy ass, non-sensical decisions serve no real purpose other than alienating consumers.

Within a mere matter of hours Microsoft went from the favorite to rule the next generation of gaming to being a worldwide laughingstock.

There's tons of people out there who basically live paycheck to paycheck. So if money is tight one month and I have to go a month without internet, by extension I can't play my XBOX?

And you're telling me that I can no longer borrow or lend games to friends or trade in a game if I get tired of it or just flatout don't like it?

Sony has always ruled that part of the planet, I think they conceded defeat in that region a long time ago.

Jets Insider VIP
    Not to throw a little curveball into the thread...but I will.

What about Apple as a gaming platform in the living room? Not just mobile games on iOS for iPhone or iPad, but hear me out...

Apple has an ecosystem (iTunes, iCloud, App Store) that in economic terms is "sticky." People don't usually have one Apple device, they have several and they use them together, sharing data like music, games, apps, etc. between their devices and with Apple TV, that little hockey puck device that gets your iTunes music, movies, your photos, etc. to the television.

Would it be a far stretch to supe up that device and leverage it for gaming? What if you already had an iPhone, iPod Touch, an iPad and you could use those as controllers, putting your iOS games up on the big screen in HD via Apple TV? Depending on how the game applications were engineered you could also leverage the computing power of the handheld device/controller like your iPhone in conjunction with some processing power of the Apple TV.

The gaming world revolves around PCs, XBox, PS3/4, Nintendo, and to an increasing degree, mobile. But mobile is a gaming platform of convenience, not necessarily for hardcore immersive gaming experiences. With the incredible talent and treasure (cash) that Apple possesses I don't think it would take a lot of effort for Apple to cannibalize the traditional gaming market by offering a path to traditional "living room" gaming using many of the products people already own.

Am I smokin' crack on this?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Not to throw a little curveball into the thread...but I will.

What about Apple as a gaming platform in the living room? Not just mobile games on iOS for iPhone or iPad, but hear me out...

Apple has an ecosystem (iTunes, iCloud, App Store) that in economic terms is "sticky." People don't usually have one Apple device, they have several and they use them together, sharing data like music, games, apps, etc. between their devices and with Apple TV, that little hockey puck device that gets your iTunes music, movies, your photos, etc. to the television.

Would it be a far stretch to supe up that device and leverage it for gaming? What if you already had an iPhone, iPod Touch, an iPad and you could use those as controllers, putting your iOS games up on the big screen in HD via Apple TV? Depending on how the game applications were engineered you could also leverage the computing power of the handheld device/controller like your iPhone in conjunction with some processing power of the Apple TV.

The gaming world revolves around PCs, XBox, PS3/4, Nintendo, and to an increasing degree, mobile. But mobile is a gaming platform of convenience, not necessarily for hardcore immersive gaming experiences. With the incredible talent and treasure (cash) that Apple possesses I don't think it would take a lot of effort for Apple to cannibalize the traditional gaming market by offering a path to traditional "living room" gaming using many of the products people already own.

Am I smokin' crack on this?
    No, because mobile gaming is obviously the fastest growing gaming segment. It's not hard-core gaming, but the mobile platform is pushing awareness of gaming, and making it much more mainstream than it used to be - whether people realize it or not. Here's an example:

Wife:"All you do is sit there in front of the TV, playing with your Sega Genesis.......game boy...."....[sneers]

Me: First of all, its a PlayStation. Secondly, what's that on your Kindle?

Wife: "Words With Friends"

Me: Hate to break it to you, but you are gaming....

Wife: "No I'm not!"

Me: Is it or is it not a game?

Wife: "It's an app...."

Me: [facepalms] ...

Anyway, what I mean is the mobile platform has turned a lot more people into gamers, whether they realize it for not.

Curious to see if the Ouya (the Android kickstarter console) does anything or not, I think Google is keeping an eye on it. Android has a much bigger market share, plus Google has the additional advantage of being able to control the delivery system (somewhat) with Google Fiber, at least from an internet perspective.

Jets Insider VIP
    Nintendo joins the fray in kicking MS in the groin:
    I've never been much of a Nintendo fan, since all of their games are either aimed at Japan, or children, but they make some good points.

Frankly, there are TOO ****ING MANY games :shakes_cane:
    I'd be happy with 2-3 rock solid AAA titles per year, myself.

Nintendo: If devs are worried about used game sales, they should make better games

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/13/442...e-better-games

Bestbuy has updated their PS4 release date to November 30th, which i believe is also the XBox1 release date.

I dont know if the is the "final date" but it would seem to make sense they release together.

Oh I agree with all of that. Microsoft absolutely blew it because they probably have the strongest gaming lineup they've ever had. They never have good exclusives and now that they do they put themselves under the ****storm that is DRM etc. I'm just saying I always have internet and I always have a gold account so I don't care. PS4 fanboys are taking to the streets to kill Microsoft when it's like...just don't buy one! Will be interesting to see the initial sales. Sony has to beat them off the starting line at this point.

As a side note to why Microsoft is also dumb. The DRM etc is a byproduct of them wanting to have this "always online" thing where you can play your games at friends' houses etc and they didn't mention for more than 5 seconds the actual benefits of this always online world. They let that be the entire story of E3 with not a whisper of what I'm sure are some cool things their new platform can do. Their publicist should be boiled in lava.