Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: The Video Game thread

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also an interesting article regarding Microsoft and their new CEO; there are rumblings from some investors that they may want to kill the Xbox (and or
    Bing / Surface tablets)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...g-and-surface/

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Xbox One update 1 month later:

OK, first and foremost-games selection is still terrible. I find myself playing Lego games all the time now. Seriously, has no game developer even bothered to start building on this platform? COD was blah, Ryse was great graphics but boring smash X gameplay, Madden was typical same ol', and honestly the Lego games seem to be the most entertaining at the moment and I'm a 37 y/o man.

Menu, voice commands, tv interface-The menu is great. utilizing apps is easy, and the apps (such as Netflix) have been updated from 360 and other means to be much more streamlined and easy to navigate.

Voice commands are convenient, though definitely not perfect at all. It will sometimes bring up a menu when you're having a convo with someone in the room, and other times it will not bring it up at all when you are saying commands. My 2 month old seems to trigger it quite a bit with her coos and other baby noises. (Actually there's a funny side story to this. I was playing Madden in the SB Jets vs Atlanta in my season. We were tied and ATL had the ball backed up against their own end zone and about 15 seconds left in regulation. I called a prevent defense. Before the ball was snapped my 2 month old girl started getting noisy, which XBox recognized as an audible to blitz all LB's. Before I could correct it the ball was snapped and my LB's sacked Matt Ryan for the Safety and I win the SB. True story!) That said the voice commands are convenient when your hands are full, like say feeding the baby a bottle, and you want to change channels.

The TV interface I think needs more instruction. It works, however in this day and age there are sometimes 3 different channels for the same station (ie Discovery, Discovery Kids, Discovery HD, etc...). It does not seem to have any rhyme or reason as to which channel it goes to. I'm sure there's some way to program this but I have no idea how. Also, it's not the best for channel surfing. Say you give command "XBox Select, watch CBS". It will change to CBS for you. Let's say there's not something on and you want to quickly change to another channel, simply saying "watch Fox" doesn't work. It seems you have to say "Stop listening", wait, then say "Xbox select, watch Fox". That gets annoying fast.

The Kinect is pretty much non existent. There are no games for it except the demo for XBox Sport, which is just jetskiing. I tried the Kinect commands tutorial as well as the Jetski game and I gotta be honest it is glitchy, annoying, and frustrating. It lost recognition of my hands constantly (no they were not down my pants!), and thwe new motions are frustratingly difficult. For example, in the old Kinect you just hover over a button and it will select it after the timer cycles. In the new one you "press" the button you want to select, meaning you hover over it, push forward, and pull back quickly. Problem is if you don't do the motion perfectly it does not work. Annoying for an adult, downright impossible for a child that might want to play some potential future game like Kinectimals or the Sesame Street kinect game. I can't possibly see my 5y/o being able to initiate the commands at the moment.

I also wonder how much energy this thing is drawing. My electric bill has skyrocketed over the last month or 2. The only thing different is the XBox One, which is on all the time when the TV is on. My wife is also now home all day on Maternity Leave, but my bill went from an avg of $120-$150 last year in winter up to $363 last month. Again, she's home all day now so I get the increase, but not that much. I really do wonder how much this thing is drawing.

All in all, I have been yearning to reconnect my 360. I've also considered disconnecting the tv interface as well. I see the potential, but it still has not even come close to my expectations yet.
    Cant imagine that the Xbox rose your electric bill that much. Are you on a budget with your company? Dont know how they work bc I just pay in full but I think they might have hit you with your balance.

Right now the Xbox One is behind not only PS4 but it is also behind its predecessor. But it is only a matter of time. You are just experiencing the common issues all early adopter run into. I haven't turned my Xbox One on in weeks and I never even bothered hooking up the Kinect yet. But by this time next year I suspect we will all love our consoles.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Cant imagine that the Xbox rose your electric bill that much. Are you on a budget with your company? Dont know how they work bc I just pay in full but I think they might have hit you with your balance.

Right now the Xbox One is behind not only PS4 but it is also behind its predecessor. But it is only a matter of time. You are just experiencing the common issues all early adopter run into. I haven't turned my Xbox One on in weeks and I never even bothered hooking up the Kinect yet. But by this time next year I suspect we will all love our consoles.

So I preordered a PS4 in the summertime....and I literally have not even opened the box yet.
    I was actually going to sell it, but this was the first console launch I can remember where there was not even a real shortage.

Then I got PS+, and I got a Vita for Christmas.
    Between the free games on the PS3 + Vita, there hasn't been any reason to open the PS4 yet (for me, anyway).

Right now The Witcher 3 is what I'm waiting for.....and The Division.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep telling myself this lol.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    So I preordered a PS4 in the summertime....and I literally have not even opened the box yet.
    I was actually going to sell it, but this was the first console launch I can remember where there was not even a real shortage.

Then I got PS+, and I got a Vita for Christmas.
    Between the free games on the PS3 + Vita, there hasn't been any reason to open the PS4 yet (for me, anyway).

Right now The Witcher 3 is what I'm waiting for.....and The Division.
    Precisely the reason why I waited, not needed just yet. When Watch Dogs comes out, I'll buy a PS4 and hopefully by then any glitches will be worked out.
    Last edited by RageATL; 02-17-2014 at 09:03 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always wait about a year or so to get the new console. Get the bugs worked out, get a better deal on the console, and by that time there may actually be people already playing on it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got done playing some Titanfall beta on Xbox One. Definitely going to purchase.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got done playing some Titanfall beta on Xbox One. Definitely going to purchase.
    It's fantastic.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    It's fantastic.
    I've only watched it so far but it does look incredible... I'm kind of peeved they don't support any competitive aspects as it's always nice to play with more objective minded players rather than kill whores but I'm still buying this ****ing game

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just an update, the electric bill was NOT the XBox or the fact my wife is home all day. My well pump crapped the bed and was running the whole time.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^
    Titanfall does look pretty fun, when does it come out for real?

Some random stuff - 15 minutes of Infamous: Second Son gameplay (Russian)
    I've never played either, I heard they are both good, just haven't gotten to them yet -

On another note I just finished playing Metro Last Light (free this month for PS+), pretty sweet game albeit maybe a little shorter than I would have liked.
    Definitely gets some high marks for me as far as graphics, the story is pretty good (you dont really need to play Metro 2033 beforehand, just read the plot on the wiki and you should be set), and the creatures are pretty creepy. Great sound in this game, and having the game set in Russia (with Russian voice actors) was a nice change of pace.

If you like shooters & post-apocalyptic games give it a try.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    FYI, for those of you with Playstation PLus , sale tomorrow - prices in bold are the PS+ price.

Might be time to finally pick up Guacamelee! for 7 bucks - heard a lot of great things about NNK, but Japanese RPGs aren't really my bag.

PS Vita Anniversary Sale:

• Castlestorm (cross-buy) PS Vita $4.89, $6.99
    • CastleStorm Complete Edition $6.99, $9.99
    • Escape Plan PS Vita (cross-buy) $7.34, $10.49
    • flOw PS Vita (cross-buy) $2.79, $3.99
    • Flower PS Vita (cross-buy) $3.49, $4.99
    • Hotline Miami (cross-buy) $2.50, $4.99
    • Killzone Mercenary $17.49, $24.99
    • Machinarium $1.75, $3.49
    • Malicious Rebirth $7.34, $10.49
    • Open Me! $4.89, $6.99
    • Orgarhythm $4.89, $6.99
    • Proteus (cross-buy) $4.19, $6.99
    • Ragnarok Odyssey $14.69, $20.99
    • Stick it to the Man (cross buy) $6.29, $8.99
    • Sumioni: Demon Arts $4.89, $6.99
    • Valhalla Knights 3 $14.69, $20.99
    • Velocity Ultra $2.09, $3.49

Back To 2013 PSN Sale

• Diablo III $35.99, $39.99
    • Dragon’s Crown (PS Vita) $17.49, $24.99
    • Dragon’s Crown (PS3) $17.49, $24.99
    • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City $4.89, $6.99
    • Guacamelee! (Cross-buy) $7.34, $10.49
    • Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition (PS Vita) $14.69, $20.99
    • Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition (PS3) $24.49, $34.99
    • Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition (PS4) $24.49, $34.99
    • Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch $6.99, $9.99
    • Persona 2: Eternal Punishment $3.49, $4.99
    • Persona 4 Arena $7.50, $14.99
    • Rayman Legends $29.39, $41.99
    • Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS Vita) $17.49, $24.99
    • Spelunky (Cross-buy) $7.34, $10.49
    • Super Motherload (Cross Buy) $3.75, $7.49
    • Tales of Xillia $14.99, $19.99
    • Terraria (PS3) $5.99, $9.99
    • The Walking Dead: Season 2 – Ep. 1, All That Remains $2.79, $3.99
    • The Walking Dead: Season 2 – Season Pass $10.49, $14.99
    • The Wolf Among Us – Episode 1: Faith $2.39, $3.99
    • The Wolf Among Us Season Pass $8.99, $14.99
    • WWE 2K14 $29.99, $39.99

Other Sales

• Velocity Ultra $2.39, $3.99
    • STARHAWK 10.49, $14.99

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I think the biggest question for me is if The Division can live up to the gameplay trailer when it showed off the Snowdrop engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir5qGJjf41k

But action-based RPG set in the not too distant future of a NYC post-apocalyptic wasteland? Sign me up.

That's it....I think the Division was pushed too.
    Just got around to watching that trailer...hot damn, that looks pretty sick.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    This Rambo game looks pretty terrible lolz

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Castlevania: Lords Of Shadows article, trailer
    Looks pretty slick, I never played the first although it's supposed to be a classic.
    Curious to see what the reviews say but this trailer looks pretty sweet.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Cas...ome-62457.html

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm about to go pick up Thief on PS4 in a little bit. I'll post my thoughts

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin&theJets View Post
    I'm about to go pick up Thief on PS4 in a little bit. I'll post my thoughts
    Initially I was looking forward to that one, but then I realized how much I suck at stealth in videogames, so I might need to pass on that one for now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So how are you guys liking PS4, worth it?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
    So how are you guys liking PS4, worth it?

Mine is still in the box - no lie. Probably not for long though.

But the problem is PlayStation Plus keeps giving me great games to play on the PS3.
    Just finished Metro Last Light, and for March, they are giving away Tomb Raider on the PS3. I was actually going to buy both of these titles.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone in here got a solid-working N64 they'd be willing to send my way? I have all the games and stuff, but the stupid thing just gave out. It was awesome, and got me through some of the best years and toughest times...but it was its time. It had to go...