Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: The Video Game thread

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    It's not much of a trailer, unfortunately. I'm not sure how much they could improve upon an already great looking game. If you haven't played it before and just got a PS4, then I'd say it's well worth it.
    I would also hope they would bundle 'Left Behind' along with it.
    That would be me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    That would be me.
    As a PS3/PS4 owner I'd be curious to see how big the difference is, but there is no way I'm buying the game twice.
    Really wish they were going to come up with another single player DLC besides Left Behind but oh well. I haven't played the DLC yet but I heard it's great, I may wait until the price drops some or it goes on sale.

Really want to do another playthrough but the game itself is pretty tense, at least for me it was.

Jets Insider VIP
    Another episode of Clueless Gamer -

http://teamcoco.com/video/dallas-clueless-gamer

Practice Squad
    need some input guise. not really loving the xbox one right now... been thinking about switching to ps4 for a while. thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TJ Sanchez View Post
    need some input guise. not really loving the xbox one right now... been thinking about switching to ps4 for a while. thoughts?
    There's really no reason to do so at the moment. I have both and there are few quality games available for either at the moment. I'd have to say that the upres-ed Tomb Raider is probably the best game available on next gen. I have the PS3 version, but the same game with better visuals would blow Infamous and Titanfall out of the water. Watch Dogs is the next big game coming out, but that's a multi-platform release. Ditto for Dragon Age: Inquisition and Destiny, which are due out later this year.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark TJ Sanchez View Post
    I'm actually looking to sell my Xbox One. No time to play plus I still have a bunch of unfinished PS3 and Xbox 360 games to finish.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    There's really no reason to do so at the moment. I have both and there are few quality games available for either at the moment. I'd have to say that the upres-ed Tomb Raider is probably the best game available on next gen. I have the PS3 version, but the same game with better visuals would blow Infamous and Titanfall out of the water. Watch Dogs is the next big game coming out, but that's a multi-platform release. Ditto for Dragon Age: Inquisition and Destiny, which are due out later this year.
    In your opinion, is it safe to go ahead and pick up WD on PS3 or go all in and make the switch to a PS4? I'm curious based on WD using a new game engine and whether or not the PS3 can keep up with it, performance-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
    In your opinion, is it safe to go ahead and pick up WD on PS3 or go all in and make the switch to a PS4? I'm curious based on WD using a new game engine and whether or not the PS3 can keep up with it, performance-wise.
    I know that WD was originally developed for the PC with the intention of scaling it down for the PS3 and 360. When Ubisoft got their dev kits for the PS4 and XBone, they became the new target platform, with the PC version able to run at a higher resolution, and the PS3 and 360 receiving scaled down versions. What's been scaled down? Well not the frame rate, which I think is a big win for people that don't want to make the jump just yet (if it's true). As far as I'm aware, the only differences outside of the graphical realm are going to be density related. The PS3 version won't have as many people walking around or as many cars on the streets.

That's the "official" rundown of where we stand. What comes next is my personal intuition.

I played AC: Black Flag on both the PS3 and PS4 (did the upgrade) and the difference in frame rate was very noticeable in the cities. There was also a ton of pop-in on the PS3 version that disappeared completely on the PS4. These issues were almost non-existent on the sparsely populated islands and in the jungles. Watch Dogs is running on a "new" engine, but it's been built on the foundation of the Anvil engine, which was what ran the Assassin's Creed games. If Anvil was struggling to populate a moderately sized island town, I wonder how the new engine will deal with recreating Chicago on the PS3?

Even if it does struggle some, that may not be something that's a gamebreaking issue for you. If you really don't want to get the PS4 right now, which is a completely reasonable position at the moment, wait for a few days after WD releases then scour the internet looking for comments on frame rate and pop-in. Maybe the new engine will help things, but knowing that it was originally designed for PCs and next-gen consoles, I remain a little skeptical. One last bit of information. I don't know if anything can be gleaned from the fact that Assassin's Creed: Unity, which presumably will be running on the same engine (having also been developed by Ubisoft Montreal and schedule for release only a few months later), is only being released for PC, PS4, and XBone. Did their experiences with WD convince them that it wasn't worth it? If they felt great about the WD port, wouldn't that be on all platforms as well?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I know that WD was originally developed for the PC with the intention of scaling it down for the PS3 and 360. When Ubisoft got their dev kits for the PS4 and XBone, they became the new target platform, with the PC version able to run at a higher resolution, and the PS3 and 360 receiving scaled down versions. What's been scaled down? Well not the frame rate, which I think is a big win for people that don't want to make the jump just yet (if it's true). As far as I'm aware, the only differences outside of the graphical realm are going to be density related. The PS3 version won't have as many people walking around or as many cars on the streets.

That's the "official" rundown of where we stand. What comes next is my personal intuition.

I played AC: Black Flag on both the PS3 and PS4 (did the upgrade) and the difference in frame rate was very noticeable in the cities. There was also a ton of pop-in on the PS3 version that disappeared completely on the PS4. These issues were almost non-existent on the sparsely populated islands and in the jungles. Watch Dogs is running on a "new" engine, but it's been built on the foundation of the Anvil engine, which was what ran the Assassin's Creed games. If Anvil was struggling to populate a moderately sized island town, I wonder how the new engine will deal with recreating Chicago on the PS3?

Even if it does struggle some, that may not be something that's a gamebreaking issue for you. If you really don't want to get the PS4 right now, which is a completely reasonable position at the moment, wait for a few days after WD releases then scour the internet looking for comments on frame rate and pop-in. Maybe the new engine will help things, but knowing that it was originally designed for PCs and next-gen consoles, I remain a little skeptical. One last bit of information. I don't know if anything can be gleaned from the fact that Assassin's Creed: Unity, which presumably will be running on the same engine (having also been developed by Ubisoft Montreal and schedule for release only a few months later), is only being released for PC, PS4, and XBone. Did their experiences with WD convince them that it wasn't worth it? If they felt great about the WD port, wouldn't that be on all platforms as well?

That is about as solid a post as I've ever seen in this thread - well done.

All Pro
    I was about to echo the same sentiments, very thoughtful post indeed.

As much as I love getting games on release date, I agree with your strategy of waiting and seeing what other folks are saying once it's out in the wild. Right now for me, the PS3 is just fine, no real need for me to upgrade other than having the latest and greatest. Actually, the fact that it is not backwards compatible simply reinforces this position.

Hall Of Fame
    Really having a hard time deciding which platform to purchase Watch Dogs on. PS4 or Xbox One. I opted to go with PS4 for Ghosts b.c of the resolution but I regret it b.c PSN gets all the DLC like a month after Xbox. Also looking for some games to play on my Xbox One besides Titanfall.

Hall Of Fame
    JB is the man. Great on the Strip as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    The 10 Most Beautiful Walks In All Of Gaming

Can't say I would disagree, even though I haven't played all of these titles. My faves always will be Fallout3 / New Vegas & Skyrim.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...alks-in-gaming

Hall Of Fame
    Pre-ordered MLB The Show a few weeks ago. Game was supposed to be available for download at midnight. Stood up to download it but it wasn't available. Just checked some gaming websites and it seems it still isn't available. Its bad enough we have to wait over a month into the season for the game and now it isn't available when they said it would be. Now I am regretting all the pre-orders I have made. Just when I thought they were moving ahead of Microsoft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Pre-ordered MLB The Show a few weeks ago. Game was supposed to be available for download at midnight. Stood up to download it but it wasn't available. Just checked some gaming websites and it seems it still isn't available. Its bad enough we have to wait over a month into the season for the game and now it isn't available when they said it would be. Now I am regretting all the pre-orders I have made. Just when I thought they were moving ahead of Microsoft.

This may help -

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/...its-ps4-today/

All Pro
    Watch Dogs in 3 weeks!

Hall Of Fame
    Yeah. When I got home from work it was available. Downloading now.

Jets Insider VIP

Jets Insider VIP
    I can't link it because of work, but it looks like ELder Scrolls Online is delayed 6 months for console version (PS4, XB1)

Six months from now this thing could be DOA, thanks to all of the issues on the PC/Mac versions and the mixed reviews....and they want 14.99 per month? They can go pound salt, it pains me to say it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Microsoft announces 399.00 XB1 without Kinect...at least they are finally listening to what their consumers have been asking for, but is it too late?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di0F0vp8ViQ