Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hot as hell

hot as hell

where are all these climate change deniers today?

from USA Today

[quote]
    [b]Soaring temps bake nation, shorten school days[/b]

WASHINGTON (AP) The mercury climbed into the 90s across more than half the country Wednesday in an early-June blast of August-like heat, forcing schools with no air conditioning to let kids go home early and cities to open cooling centers. And scientists say we had better get used to it.

By Alex Brandon, AP

A new study from Stanford University says global climate change will lead permanently to unusually hot summers in the coming years.

Temperatures around 90 and higher were recorded across much of the South, the East and the Midwest. By 2 p.m., Washington had tied the record high for the date of 98 degrees, set in 1999, according to preliminary National Weather Service data. The normal high is about 82. Philadelphia was at 94, one degree shy of the record. Chicago reached 94 by midafternoon.

Forecasters said it felt even hotter because of the high humidity. The ridge of high pressure that brought the broiling weather is expected to remain parked over the region through Thursday.

"I'm staying in my house. I'm going to watch TV and have a cold beer," said 84-year-old Harvey Milliman of Manchester, N.J. "You got a better idea than that, I'd love to hear it."

Youngsters sweltered in Hartford, Conn., where school would have ended for the summer by now if not for the heavy snows last winter that led to makeup days.

"I'm not even going to go outside this summer if it's going to be like this, unless my mom makes me," said seventh-grader Kemeshon Scott, putting the final touches on a social studies paper in a Hartford school with no air conditioning.

Public schools in Philadelphia and parts of New Jersey and Maryland cut their days short. But Baltimore students were disappointed to find a public pool closed when school let out early. The mayor later ordered the pools to open.

In Oklahoma, where temperatures have reached 104 four times so far this month, the Salvation Army said more people are seeking help with high utility bills earlier in the season, and paramedics responded to more heat-related illnesses.

The deaths of five elderly people in Tennessee, Maryland and Wisconsin have been blamed on the heat in recent days.

Cooling centers were opened in cities such as Chicago, Memphis, Tenn., and Newark, N.J., as a refuge for those without air conditioning. City officials in Norfolk, Va., teamed up with nonprofit groups to deliver cold water and sunscreen to the homeless.

And this could be just the beginning.

The six-to-10-day outlook from the federal Climate Prediction Center calls for continued above-average readings centered on the mid-South, including Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, and extending as far as the Great Lakes and New York and New Jersey.

That is likely to continue in the coming month, with the hot weather extending west into New Mexico and Arizona. The three-month outlook shows excessive heat focused on Arizona and extending east along the Gulf Coast. Cooler-than-normal readings are forecast from Tennessee into the Great Lakes states.[/quote]

NYC-area also had a cold and snowy 2010-11 winter. I don't know, JETS fans!! :eek:

:jets17

All League
    I don't know anybody who denies that the weather of late has been wacky.....but that whole "Carbon Dioxide is a toxic pollutant and the reason for all of our troubles" thing, well, not so much....

Hall Of Fame
    bit, you know "global warming" and "climate change" are cyclical, right? We humans haven't helped, but its inevitable.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4044254]where are all these climate change deniers today?

from USA Today[/QUOTE]

Correlation does not imply causation (cum hoc ergo propter hoc): a faulty assumption that correlation between two variables implies that one causes the other.

Incomplete comparison: where not enough information is provided to make a complete comparison

Fallacy of composition: assuming that something true of part of a whole must also be true of the whole

Fallacy of the single cause (causal oversimplification[24]): it is assumed that there is one, simple cause of an outcome when in reality it may have been caused by a number of only jointly sufficient causes

Cherry picking (suppressed evidence, incomplete evidence): act of pointing at individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position, while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position.

Hasty generalization (fallacy of insufficient statistics, fallacy of insufficient sample, fallacy of the lonely fact, leaping to a conclusion, hasty induction, secundum quid, converse accident): basing a broad conclusion on a small sample

Misleading vividness: involves describing an occurrence in vivid detail, even if it is an exceptional occurrence, to convince someone that it is a problem.

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

Yes, it was very hot today. The temperature of one place, on one day, that is somewhat above average.....is not proof of Global Warming.

You do the issue a disservice Bit. It's this exact type of sillyness that makes many discount your side on this issue. Glboal Warming may exist, and we may be a part (perhaps a big part) of why, but arguments like this do not help the cause.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4044349]
    Yes, it was very hot today. The temperature of one place, on one day, that is somewhat above average.....is not proof of Global Warming.

You do the issue a disservice Bit. It's this exact type of sillyness that makes many discount your side on this issue. Glboal Warming may exist, and we may be a part (perhaps a big part) of why, but arguments like this do not help the cause.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY! +100000000

[/QUOTE]

On their couch, remembering the 6 feet of snow they were buried under in February.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4044398]On their couch, remembering the 6 feet of snow they were buried under in February.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you got the first part right. But I was looking at the Blake Lively thread. Snow was the last thing on my mind.

from USA Today[/QUOTE]

Its June it's supposed to be hot. I guess it can't hit 90 without global warming. What idiocy.

Jets Insider VIP
    And there was global warming in 1930 when the last 97 degree on this day in NYC was right? It was all the Model As SUVs that people were driving that caused it?

It snowed 2 days ago in Hawaii so then we can say Aloha to Global cooling because of that localized (global) change right?

And it is hotter on Jupiter and Mars too, must be because of human activity. I don't think people are discounting the temperature data as much as they are discounting the idea that it is a result of human activity rather than the normal climate and solar cycles.

I also think the politically motivated policies such as carbon credits that are a means to move more money to Goldman Sachs and Al Gore's cronies and policies that will further destroy the American economy for a (hopefully) .7 degree F change in a decade is rediculous. Similar to how the stimulous would make sure unemployment would never rise above 8%. What is it now?

Jets Insider VIP
    [LEFT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][QUOTE]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]7 Jun 11 - NOAA's National Climate Data Center shows 1,103 low temperature records broken in the United states for May plus 627 tied records, for a total of 1,730. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]Includes AL, AK, AR, AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, HI, ID, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV and WY.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/QUOTE]

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][URL]http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/extremes/records/daily/mint/2011/05/00?sts[]=US[/URL][/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]

where were all these climate change proponents in May?

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/climate"]http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/climate[/URL]

[QUOTE]
    Climate - the composite or generally prevailing weather conditions of a region, as temperature, air pressure, humidity, precipitation, sunshine, cloudiness, and winds, throughout the year, [B]averaged over a series of years[/B][/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    OMG I aqree (to an extent) with Bit

Hall Of Fame
    I just dont know how people can go from summer to summer seeing it get hotter and hotter and think that it is out of the realm of possibility that at least some portion of that is not due to human activity.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JetsFanatic;4044421]Its June it's supposed to be hot. I guess it can't hit 90 without global warming. What idiocy.[/QUOTE]

It is not supposed to be 90+ for a week in the begining of June.

We are not in the middle of summer.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Ruby2;4044563]I just dont know how people can go from summer to summer seeing it get hotter and hotter and think that it is out of the realm of possibility that at least some portion of that is not due to human activity.[/QUOTE]

Because we understand science.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4044570]Because we understand science.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess you just choose to overlook that increased carbon in the atmosphere traps heat.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Ruby2;4044569]It is not supposed to be 90+ for a week in the begining of June.

We are not in the middle of summer.[/QUOTE]

It was last year. At least in DC and NC.

Same (almost exact) weather this year as last.

[QUOTE=Ruby2;4044563]I just dont know how people can go from summer to summer seeing it get hotter and hotter and think that it is out of the realm of possibility that at least some portion of that is not due to human activity.[/QUOTE]

it's called denial. and it's not a partisan disease. politicians on both sides have to wait for massive disaster to occur before they feel the need to act.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4044573]It was last year. At least in DC and NC.

Same (almost exact) weather this year as last.[/QUOTE]

And you dont see that as a problem?

It was over 90 almost every day in Jluy in NYC last year.

Call me crazy, but I dont remember that ever happening before.