Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY Knicks most critical need

NY Knicks most critical need

There is a lot of talk about drafting a PG as the successor for Chauncey. Point guard is the most critical position in any team and developing a PG with Chauncey's mentoring can pay off for the Knicks. However, one of the biggest problems we had last year was on the boards with Stoudemire wearing down the stretch. If Jerome Jordan is ready to contribute, should we focus this draft on a PG?

Here is the list of top prospects that might be around for pick # 17: (source: Knicks.blog)

Charles Jenkins, G, 6-3, 220, Hofstra, senior
    (my #1 choice)

Iman Shumpert, G, 6-5, 212, Georgia Tech, junior

Keith Benson, 6-11, 230, Oakland, senior

Mike Davis, F, 6-9, 225, Illinois, senior

Chris Singleton, F, 6-9, 225, Florida State, junior (2nd Choice)

At least to start the season, I believe they're just going to roll with Chauncey and Douglas again. Bringing back Chauncey pretty much tells me they aren't looking to address PG until the trade deadline or next off-season, which most expected (would have been the case if we still had Felton, as he was on a two year deal). Possibly trade for Paul at the deadline somehow if the Hornets want to deal him or try and get him or Deron Williams in free agency.

I think the biggest splash that they will attempt is to try and bulk up in the middle. Obviously, Turiaf/Jeffries just doesn't cut it. I would love Tyson Chandler, but I don't know how realistic that actually is. Marc Gasol is another option, as well. I don't know a whole lot about Jerome Jordan, but I'm not counting on him to be the solution as early as next season.

Let's just all hope and pray that Dolan doesn't bring back his butt buddy, Isiah, to **** this franchise yet agin.

the Knicks biggest need has been the same for the past decade, ever since we got rid of Ewing and Camby:

a legit C who will crash the boards and protect the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    the Knicks biggest need has been the same for the past decade, ever since we got rid of Ewing and Camby:

Maybe they'll get it right this time.

The failed signings of Luc Longley, Jerome James, and Jared Jeffries still make me cringe.

Bingo!!!!

I don't think there are any legit centers in this draft unless we look for a mammoth elsewhere (ie, Russia or Turkey).

These are the prospect centers for this year's draft:

Enes Kanter, Kentucky
    Height: 6-11. Weight: 260. Year: Fr.
    Projected Selection: top five-ten.
    '10-'11: n/a

Jonas Valanciunas, Lithuania
    Height: 6-11. Weight: 240. Year: 1992.
    Projected Selection: mid-late lottery.

Lucas Nogueira, Brazil
    Height: 7-0. Weight: 225. Year: 1992.
    Projected Selection: late lottery-late teens.

Jeremy Tyler, USA
    Height: 6-11. Weight: 240. Year: 1991.
    Projected Selection: early-mid second.

Keith Benson, Oakland
    Height: 7-0. Weight: 225. Year: Sr.
    '10-'11: 17.9 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 3.6 bpg, 54.7 FG%, 64.3 FT%

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Maybe they'll get it right this time.

The failed signings of Luc Longley, Jerome James, and Jared Jeffries still make me cringe.
    Ah the good ole days of Scott Layden and Isiah Thomas.

Good luck finding that in today's NBA. Quality defensive Centers are getting rarer by the year.

Knicks' #1 priority is finding a way to sign-and-trade for Chris Paul who has said publicly he wants to play with Melo and Amare in NY. That's also the #2 priority.

I do think the Knicks should use the MLE (assuming one even exists with whatever the new CBA looks like) to get Grant Hill. He's become an excellent perimeter defender and role player and fits into D'Antoni's offensive system plus I think he'd be willing to come off the bench here.

Intellect, especially at ownership level.

Coach

All Pro
    Actual role players

Coach that takes defense seriously.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorJet View Post
    Good luck finding that in today's NBA. Quality defensive Centers are getting rarer by the year.

Knicks' #1 priority is finding a way to sign-and-trade for Chris Paul who has said publicly he wants to play with Melo and Amare in NY. That's also the #2 priority.

I do think the Knicks should use the MLE (assuming one even exists with whatever the new CBA looks like) to get Grant Hill. He's become an excellent perimeter defender and role player and fits into D'Antoni's offensive system plus I think he'd be willing to come off the bench here.
    What are they trading for him? Is he gonna sign less than max? What if the new CBA has a hard cap?

Theres a lot of questions post-lockout about having a big 3. You dont want it to be Paul, Carmelo and Amare with nothing but scrubs. That probably isnt going to work

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    What are they trading for him? Is he gonna sign less than max? What if the new CBA has a hard cap?

Theres a lot of questions post-lockout about having a big 3. You dont want it to be Paul, Carmelo and Amare with nothing but scrubs. That probably isnt going to work
    Knicks would have to offer expiring contracts (Billups etc.) Fields, Douglas and offer to also take Okafor's contract which would save the New Orleans Hornets around $40 mil. As far as the whole "Paul, Melo and Amare" is not enough argument that doesn't hold any water when Lebron, Bosh and Wade just barely missed winning a championship with a supporting cast made up of old washouts like Mike Bibby, Juwan Howard and Zydrunas Ilgauskas. If Lebron had a clutch bone in his body he'd be celebrating a championship but he didn't.

Hornets are trading Paul to an Eastern Conference team. Superstars don't get traded inside of their own conference for a number of reasons (Allen, Garnett, Iverson, Shaq, T-Mac, Carmelo etc.). Who else is in the running? Heat are over the cap, Bulls already have a PG, so do the Celts, Nets and Wizards. Howard might as well put on a Laker jersey already all of his "I want to stay in Orlando" talk is nonsense if it was true he'd sign an extension so forget about Orlando. I don't see Paul accepting a sign and trade to a team like the Raptors, Pistons or Sixers he might as well just stay in New Orleans.

The CBA is a tricky issue however Stern opened up the books and it showed the NBA's overall revenues increased by 1% in the 2009-2010 season and it's a given they increased even more this season with tv ratings for regular season and playoffs going through the roof.

In short Stern has nothing to stand on in his arguments for cutting the cap by $10 mil. League revenues are increasing and if owners want to cut payroll all they have to do is not spend their own money.

NBA's players union is not a joke union like the NFL players' union they will not stand for a hard cap and/or a $10 million reduction in the cap. They will strike and strike to the point where there won't even be a season next year.
    Last edited by TerminatorJet; 06-13-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Definitely sign me up for signing Grant Hill to the MLE.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Definitely sign me up for signing Grant Hill to the MLE.
    I rather get younger.

Sources: Ricky Rubio inked with Wolves

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6663540

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Sources: Ricky Rubio inked with Wolves

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6663540

No thanks. He wasn't even a starter in the league, a future project in D'Antony's world means he will never have a future with the Knicks.

Quote Originally Posted by 82nd Airborne View Post
    I don't think there are any legit centers in this draft unless we look for a mammoth elsewhere (ie, Russia or Turkey).

These are the prospect centers for this year's draft:

Enes Kanter, Kentucky
    Height: 6-11. Weight: 260. Year: Fr.
    Projected Selection: top five-ten.

Jonas Valanciunas, Lithuania
    Height: 6-11. Weight: 240. Year: 1992.
    Projected Selection: mid-late lottery.

Lucas Nogueira, Brazil
    Height: 7-0. Weight: 225. Year: 1992.
    Projected Selection: late lottery-late teens.

Jeremy Tyler, USA
    Height: 6-11. Weight: 240. Year: 1991.

Keith Benson, Oakland
    Height: 7-0. Weight: 225. Year: Sr.
    '10-'11: 17.9 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 3.6 bpg, 54.7 FG%, 64.3 FT%

What about Nikola Vucevic from USC?

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...-Vucevic-5828/

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

What the Knicks *need* next season will not be found in the draft, so I wouldn't sweat it. If they get someone with size that can play D and rebound for a few minutes a night, I will call it a victory.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    What about Nikola Vucevic from USC?

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...-Vucevic-5828/
    I don't think he is a good fit for the Knicks: (if he can't run the floor he be useless under D's system)

Weaknesses:

1) Lacks ideal NBA athleticism
    2) Running the floor
    Needs to get more comfortable turning over his right shoulder
    Not a real threat to take his defender off the dribble
    Lateral quickness on defense