Must be global warming.:eek:

Uh, no comment! :limp:

:jets17

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet;4046084]Uh, no comment! :limp:

:jets17[/QUOTE]

you do realize I'm being sarcastic.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetsFanatic;4046054]Must be global warming.:eek:[/QUOTE]

Hey Mr. Climatologist! Did you know...that the last time the earth had a volcanic-induced rise in global temperatures, that Europe froze?

Weird, right? I mean...mean global temperatures rose by more than 10 degrees...but an entire continent was colder. Now, Grog the Caveman in paleolithic France would have scoffed at the idea that the planet was actually warmer. "Bullsh*t, Ug.", he would have said "Ug, ug, bullsh*t. How can it be warmer? It's colder outside. It's snowing and the glaciers in the Alps are growing. Ug. Anyone who says the Earth's average temperature is RISING because of vulcanism is an idiot. It's colder. Ug."

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4046096]Hey Mr. Climatologist! Did you know...that the last time the earth had a volcanic-induced rise in global temperatures, that Europe froze?

Weird, right? I mean...mean global temperatures rose by more than 10 degrees...but an entire continent was colder. Now, Grog the Caveman in paleolithic France would have scoffed at the idea that the planet was actually warmer. "Bullsh*t, Ug.", he would have said "Ug, ug, bullsh*t. How can it be warmer? It's colder outside. It's snowing and the glaciers in the Alps are growing. Ug. Anyone who says the Earth's average temperature is RISING because of vulcanism is an idiot. It's colder. Ug."[/QUOTE]

[B]The earth's climate is always changing.[/B] Let's see it's about 4 billion years old, and we've kept weather records for a whole 150 years.

Q. What happened after the great ice age?

A.

[SIZE="7"][COLOR="Magenta"][B]GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/climate"]dictionary.reference[/URL]

Re-post

[QUOTE]
    [B][U]Climate [/U][/B]- the composite or generally prevailing weather conditions of a region, as temperature, air pressure, humidity, precipitation, sunshine, cloudiness, and winds, throughout the year, [B]averaged over a series of years [/B][/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Well, I hope no one planted this weekend with these crazy temps! :rolleyes:

I'd like to see some accurate, verified, and proven climate models AND their results coming true, before I choose to support a wholesale change in our economy, power-generation, and a deep drop in our quality of life till green-tech can (if ever) be made to be equivalent.

At current, the same folks who said Acid Rain would have eaten all the metal on the planet, and that we'd now be living in the greatest Ice Age in Earth's history, now want us to trust them that this time, they got it right. Just trust them. Their scientists.

Well, usually I would tbh. But on this issue, politics is far too involved for such unquestioned trust.

So, it's simple. Predict with accuracy the exact climate conditions on the East Coast of the US for 2020. Sea Level. Average Temps. Avg. Precip. Natural Disasters like Storms and Snow and Hurricaines. Get it all (or mostly) right, and we can talk.

Till then, demands that we simply trust them, that Man Caused Disatser Causing Climate Change is the only fact in the issue, is a step further than I will talk.

Prove you case, with evidence, not predictions as yet untested, and we can talk. Right now, they can't even tell us how much rain we'll get next year, or what the weather will be like next Tuesday.

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4046218]I'd like to see some accurate, verified, and proven climate models AND their results coming true, before I choose to support a wholesale change in our economy, power-generation, and a deep drop in our quality of life till green-tech can (if ever) be made to be equivalent.

At current, the same folks who said Acid Rain would have eaten all the metal on the planet, and that we'd now be living in the greatest Ice Age in Earth's history, now want us to trust them that this time, they got it right. Just trust them. Their scientists.

Well, usually I would tbh. But on this issue, politics is far too involved for such unquestioned trust.

So, it's simple. Predict with accuracy the exact climate conditions on the East Coast of the US for 2020. Sea Level. Average Temps. Avg. Precip. Natural Disasters like Storms and Snow and Hurricaines. Get it all (or mostly) right, and we can talk.

Till then, demands that we simply trust them, that Man Caused Disatser Causing Climate Change is the only fact in the issue, is a step further than I will talk.

Prove you case, with evidence, not predictions as yet untested, and we can talk. Right now, they can't even tell us how much rain we'll get next year, or what the weather will be like next Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

Micromanager

;)

It just seems obvious to me that for decades we have been mining and pumping and then burning Carbon that has not been part of our ecosystem for thousands of years. This carbon is now once again part of our ecosystem. This will eventually lead to problems.

It is time to stop being cheap & lazy and get the energy from the one source. Enough already, we need to cut out the filthy middlemen. Let’s deal with SOL.
    Last edited by Buster; 06-12-2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: added ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4046096]Hey Mr. Climatologist! Did you know...that the last time the earth had a volcanic-induced rise in global temperatures, that Europe froze?

Weird, right? I mean...mean global temperatures rose by more than 10 degrees...but an entire continent was colder. Now, Grog the Caveman in paleolithic France would have scoffed at the idea that the planet was actually warmer. "Bullsh*t, Ug.", he would have said "Ug, ug, bullsh*t. How can it be warmer? It's colder outside. It's snowing and the glaciers in the Alps are growing. Ug. Anyone who says the Earth's average temperature is RISING because of vulcanism is an idiot. It's colder. Ug."[/QUOTE]

Right! I saw that episode of Land of the Lost (the original series not the movie). Once Chaka got done with that conversation he got in his SUV and drove off right? That is why the mean temp went up 10 degrees after all. Because it has to be man made! Or was it the fact that the cave men harnassed the power of fire which the used to cook their food and heat their caves which gave off more green house gases and caused that 10 degree mean temp increase?

Or just possibly could it be because the Earth's climate is constantly changing when you look at it in a geological scale and none of those episodes, climate episodes not Land of the Lost episodes mind you, caused everything to die. Then again I think Al Og, former cave man VP, legislated fire credits to the other cave men to ensure that they wouldn't harm the environment.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buster;4046227]Micromanager

It just seems obvious to me that for decades we have been mining and pumping and then burning Carbon that has not been part of our ecosystem for thousands of years. This carbon is now once again part of our ecosystem. This will eventually lead to problems.

It is time to stop being cheap & lazy and get the energy from the one source. Enough already, we need to cut out the filthy middlemen. Let’s deal with SOL.[/QUOTE]

The science behind solar energy isn't ready yet not to mention the capacities batteries to get us very far from our power source. Maybe some day but unless we artificially (tax) increase the cost of oil, natural gas and coal then it will be a while before anyone can take solar seriously as a total replacement for all of our other fuel.

The good news is bettery tech has been getting better in leaps and bounds but we aren't there yet. By the way, you think polution is bad from fossil fuels? Do some research into lithium and cadmium mining not to mention the toxic waste that is left behind if the old batteries aren't recycled. Plus how are they mining the elements for batteries? Fossil fuel powered machines. Dwarves when out of fashion years ago.

Not to mention
    [QUOTE]Each termite produces, on average, about half a microgram of methane per day, a seemingly insignificant amount. However, when this is multiplied up by the world population of termites, global methane emission from this source is estimated to be about 20 million tonnes each year. [/QUOTE]

Human greenhouse gas emmisions don't come close to those of the "natural world".

All League
    [QUOTE=Trades;4046230]The science behind solar energy isn't ready yet not to [B]mention the capacities batteries to get us very far[/B] from our power source. Maybe some day but unless we artificially (tax) increase the cost of oil, natural gas and coal then it will be a while before anyone can take solar seriously as a total replacement for all of our other fuel.

The good news is bettery tech has been getting better in leaps and bounds but we aren't there yet. By the way, you think polution is bad from fossil fuels? Do some research into lithium and cadmium mining not to mention the toxic waste that is left behind if the old batteries aren't recycled. Plus how are they mining the elements for batteries? Fossil fuel powered machines. Dwarves when out of fashion years ago.

Not to mention

Human greenhouse gas emmisions don't come close to those of the "natural world".[/QUOTE]

The excess daytime electricity could be used to split water into Hydrogen and Oxygen (thru electrolysis) and that could be stored and shipped and burned and run cars and...

Stored energy AKA “batteries" does not have to be lead or lithium or cadmium. It just has to be storable.

I have also read about an idea to use excess daytime enrgy to compress air. Then at night the compressed air is released by spinning a turbine which creates electricity.

As for “science behind solar energy isn't ready” there are solar farms that are fields of mirrors that focus sunlight on a tower filled with Sodium. The sodium heats up and is used to create electricity.

Solar power is ready. It just needs some help from people who are thinking about the greater good and not ONLY thinking about “established powerbrokers” bottom lines.

global warming causes global wierding

it was 95 degrees on weds and thursday and then you could see your breath on a Saturday afternoon. it's not normal.

all these deniers can nit pick the science to death but it's getting weirder out here.

in my life i dont remember it being this way.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buster;4046233]The excess daytime electricity could be used to split water into Hydrogen and Oxygen (thru electrolysis) and that could be stored and shipped and burned and run cars and...

Stored energy AKA “batteries" does not have to be lead or lithium or cadmium. It just has to be storable.

I have also read about an idea to use excess daytime enrgy to compress air. Then at night the compressed air is released by spinning a turbine which creates electricity.

As for “science behind solar energy isn't ready” there are solar farms that are fields of mirrors that focus sunlight on a tower filled with Sodium. The sodium heats up and is used to create electricity.

Solar power is ready. It just needs some help from people who are thinking about the greater good and not ONLY thinking about “established powerbrokers” bottom lines.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say solar doesn't work or that batteries need to be lithium or cadmium just that fact that neither is ready or cost effiecient enough to supply all of our needs.

There is a huge ramp up cost to build these solar farms. There is also the environmental impact of the solar farms. They infringe on the habitat of many native animals and eco-nuts rail on as much about that as they do about any other power source. It is all extremely political.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4046235]global warming causes global wierding

it was 95 degrees on weds and thursday and then you could see your breath on a Saturday afternoon. it's not normal.

all these deniers can nit pick the science to death but it's getting weirder out here.

in my life i dont remember it being this way.[/QUOTE]

That is the worst evidence that you could bring up. As though there was not such thing has odd weather in the past. First of all we hear of every tornado, earthquake and hurricane now because of the internet and world news. Ever heard of Indian Summer? That is a hot spell in the middle of the cold months. It has happened forever!

We had a small ice age in the 1700s. Climate changes. Get used to it. Giving Al Gore and Goldman Sachs money to trade carbon credits won't make a bit of difference.

[QUOTE=Trades;4046240]That is the worst evidence that you could bring up. [/QUOTE]

there is no evidence enough to make deniers believe. We get it. You don't care. Don't insult everyone's intelligence and talk about the evidence. There are men much smarter than all of us that agree the world is warming. Legions of objective a-political scientists all over the world. The only ones who don't agree are bought and sold by corporations who stand to benefit from the status quo.

This is not unlike the dumbasses who say they can't find the missing link and evolution is false.

ya know what else they don't understand? The "theory" of gravity can't be proven. But it's still real.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Trades;4046240]That is the worst evidence that you could bring up. As though there was not such thing has odd weather in the past. First of all we hear of every tornado, earthquake and hurricane now because of the internet and world news. Ever heard of Indian Summer? That is a hot spell in the middle of the cold months. It has happened forever!

We had a small ice age in the 1700s. Climate changes. Get used to it. Giving Al Gore and Goldman Sachs money to trade carbon credits won't make a bit of difference.[/QUOTE]

Climate does change, human impact has influenced at least some of that change.

Thats the only point I wish to make on the issue.

:runs out of politicz world:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4046246]there is no evidence enough to make deniers believe. We get it. You don't care. Don't insult everyone's intelligence and talk about the evidence. There are men much smarter than all of us that agree the world is warming. Legions of objective a-political scientists all over the world. The only ones who don't agree are bought and sold by corporations who stand to benefit from the status quo.

This is not unlike the dumbasses who say they can't find the missing link and evolution is false.

ya know what else they don't understand? The "theory" of gravity can't be proven. But it's still real.[/QUOTE]

Gravitational force can be proven. When I was a senior in college majoring in physics I did a lab with a laser and 2 metal balls that measured the gravitational quotient.

The problem isn't that the Earth is warming, the problem is thinking that we can legislate against it. "I don't remember the temperature changing the way it has in the past week" is only "evidence" of the capacity of human memory. If you want data then you need to look at the temperature records of the past and prove a difference in the trends. One week of data in the climate history of our planet is nothing. Data for NYC city for one week can't prove anything except that the weather, not the climate, has been odd here this week, nothing more.

And those noble scientists you mentioned have been caught lying about their data, worshiping a false hockey stick graph and "fixing" data to meet their goals at the very least. None of this is science.

How about the FACT that many of the temperature annomolies that are in the data are a result of the fall of the Soviet Union (surprising isn't it that the temperature started rising right at that time) caused many cold weather stations to not be monitored or totally abandoned. Also many other weather stations were in semi-urban ares which have now become very urban areas which also skews sata because paved areas will show higher temperatures than rural ones.

Don't let the facts get in the way. Just follow blindly. Do you realize that the Hubbard Glacier which is the biggest glacierin Alaska, is growing so much right now both vertically and horizontally (10 feet per day) that it is about to close the Russel Fjord which will create a huge new lake. The last time the Fjord closed was in 1986. So if there is such a blight on glaciers due to global warming just what does this glacier think it is doing? I think we should write some laws to put it in its place.

[URL]http://glacierresearch.org/[/URL]

All League
    [QUOTE=Trades;4046236]I didn't say solar doesn't work or that batteries need to be lithium or cadmium just that fact that neither is ready or cost effiecient enough to supply all of our needs.

[B]There is a huge ramp up cost to[/B] build these solar farms. There is also the environmental impact of the solar farms. They infringe on the habitat of many native animals and eco-nuts rail on as much about that as they do about any other power source. It is all extremely political.[/QUOTE]

And there is no cost to being at the mercy of political upheaval in the Middle East which inevitably spikes our energy prices?

There is no health care cost created by pumping lead and radiation from coal power plants (beyond carbon) into the atmosphere?

And there is no cost to the dwindling supply of easily accessible oil?

And there is no cost to tearing down entire mountains to get coal?

And there is no cost to poisoning ground water to get natural gas?

I’m just saying we should think long term. Short term investing in the infrastructure of solar will cost us but long term we will benefit.

Are we going to set up the next generation of Americans for failure or for success?