Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If there was any doubt about them selling out before, there certainly isn't any now.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

If there was any doubt about them selling out before, there certainly isn't any now.

:rolleyes:

[URL="http://guitarinternational.com/2011/06/16/metallica-themed-monopoly-game-hits-shelves-june-17th/"]http://guitarinternational.com/2011/06/16/metallica-themed-monopoly-game-hits-shelves-june-17th/[/URL]

[QUOTE]
    [B]Metallica-themed Monopoly Game Hits Shelves June 17th[/B]

Metallica are truly a mainstay in American culture. You have to be to get a special edition Monopoly game made after you, which is exactly what Metallica have done. The Metallica Collectors Edition Monopoly game comes out tomorrow, June 17th, so you better throw up a rock fist when you pass “Go”.

The game, instead of having “Boardwalk” and the railroads, has players journey through festival shows, childhood homes of band members, historic Metallica events, and more on their way to creating their real estate empire (or being rocked off stage by a well-placed hotel).

The game pieces are also Metallica-themed, of course. Fans can pick from the hammer from Kill ‘Em All, the scales from …And Justice For All, the snake from Black Album and others. Instead of the customary “Chance” and “Community Chest,” players will land on “Binge and Purge” and “Jump in the Fire” spaces to take their chances with… well, chance.

Pick it up tomorrow from Metallica’s online store.[/QUOTE]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    But....

Um.....

Uh......

[IMG]http://failheap-challenge.com/images/smilies/facepalm.gif[/IMG]

**** it, as long as their next album is as great as "Death Magnetic" was, they can sell all the cheap chotchki crap crap they like, a la KISS.

All that really matters is the music. More DM, less Saint Anger.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    WTF.

They want to give KISS a run for their money? :confused:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    just stop stealing music so Lars can eat....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4049329]WTF.

They want to give KISS a run for their money? :confused:[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's possible.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://www.grayflannelsuit.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/james-hetfield-robert-trujillo-shopping-metallica.jpg[/IMG]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every time I see Metallica perform or in interviews, I despise them more, especially the nearly bald, posturing, antipatico (sic) Lars. IMO, they lost every ounce of their well earned rock credibility after their disastrous film, [I]Some Kind of Monster[/I], was released. The level of "slappabilty" each of the band members achieved in that cluster f**k has only been exceeded exponentially since. Face it, other than Kirk Hammett (who still somehow maintains a respectable level of musicianship and appeal), Metallica has become a Vegas act.

Also, can Robert Trujillo tone down the stage histrionics? I feel like I'm watching a bass player imitating the drummer Animal from [I]The Muppet Show[/I].

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    AC/DC is now a sellout

[url]http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=159511[/url]

[IMG]http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/acdcmonopoly.jpg[/IMG]

According to USAopoly, AC/DC Collector's Edition Monopoly is going into production next week. The game will be available this August. Created with loyal fans in mind, AC/DC Collector's Edition Monopoly game's custom gameboard features the best of one of the greatest rock and roll acts of all time. It includes custom properties, cards, houses, hotels and tokens.

As previously reported, one of the world's most popular board games, Monopoly, has also been customized to celebrate the history and music of heavy metal giants METALLICA. The game will be available starting this Friday, June 17 from the band's official webstore.

AC/DC and METALLICA follow KISS, THE BEATLES, ELVIS PRESLEY and THE GRATEFUL DEAD, among other artists, who have their own Monopoly games.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;4049339][IMG]http://www.grayflannelsuit.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/james-hetfield-robert-trujillo-shopping-metallica.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

:clapper:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah, and there is also this in Metallica news:

[url]http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=159509[/url]

[IMG]http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/metreed.jpg[/IMG]

David Fricke of RollingStone.com spoke to METALLICA and legendary rocker Lou Reed about their new collaborative studio album. The as-yet-untitled CD features 10 songs composed by Reed with significant arrangement contributions by METALLICA and is described by Fricke as "a raging union of [Reed's] 1973 noir classic, 'Berlin', and METALLICA's '86 crusher, 'Master Of Puppets'."

On their unlikely collaboration:

Reed: "A marriage made in heaven. I knew it from the first day we played together: 'Oh, man, this is perfection, right in front of me.' "?

Lars Ulrich (METALLICA drummer): "I don't think we've ever felt this free. There's nothing that's totally outside of the boundary for us, nothing that feels like 'Oh, what happens if we go there?' The strength of us" – he gestures at Reed – "is it feels like we cannot land on a wrong place."?

Reed: "They're bringing METALLICA, with all that power. And because they're pretty sophisticated, wherever I go, they're still with me."?

James Hetfield (METALLICA guitarist/vocalist): "Lars and I listened to [Reed's demos] and it was like, 'Wow, this is very different.' It was scary at first, because the music was so open. But then I thought, 'This could go anywhere.'"

Kirk Hammett (METALLICA guitarist): "It doesn't feel like we're his backup band. It feels like we're a different band, in a situation we've never been in before."

Robert Trujillo (METALLICA bassist): "It's making us a better band."?

On their first performance in October 2009 at the 25th-anniversary Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame concerts in New York:

Reed: "We knew from then that we were made for each other."

On how and when the album will be released (Reed does not have a record deal, and METALLICA is no longer on Warner Bros.):

Lars Ulrich: "We are free to go wherever. I'm obviously psyched for people to hear this, in whatever way we feel is right."?

James Hetfield: "I told Lou I want to be there when people hear it. I want to see their faces."

Songtitles set to appear on the CD include the seven-minute "Pumping Blood", which — according to Fricke — "opens with a drone that breaks into a crunching march, goes into speed-metal gear and breaks into free-fall sections," and "Mistress Dread", which "features Reed singing across a relentless staccato riff played at manic velocity."

Read more from RollingStone.com.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eh, I think I stop caring about bands and people selling out at this point a long time ago...probably around the time I stopped obtaining their music legally.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LIDeadHead;4049343]AC/DC is now a sellout[/QUOTE]

They never painted themselves as an anti-establishment type of band. Metallica was all about that when they started out. They've become everything they used to speak out against.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;4049348]Eh, I think I stop caring about bands and people selling out at this point a long time ago[/QUOTE]

+1 tbh. The "keeping it real, thug4life, street yo" ethic many fans demand of thier favorite artists is a little much for me as I get older.

Success is success, it changes everyone who achieves it. Every single one.

The bands who "don't sell out" all have one thing in common.....they don't sell out. The records. Their tours. Their merch. It's far easy to be a non-sellout when no one (or a tiny insular fanbase) wants to buy your stuff, I suppose.

All that really matters is the music. If thats good, I forgive all else. If it's bad, then I'm dissapointed. How they wrap it up for sales means little to me tbh, as long as I can buy it and listen to it if I wish.

As for the Lou Reed/Metallica album......got to admit, didn;t see that coming. Not sure what that pairing will sound like tbh. At first glace, doesn't seem to have alot in common as a basis for colaboration, but I guess we'll see. They got balls at least, of all the possible next records they could have tossed out for the punters, a "Big 4 Colab" record was the extpected cash-grab o' fail. This, at the least, seems to have vastly more artistic integrity.

[QUOTE=sourceworx;4049349]They never painted themselves as an anti-establishment type of band. Metallica was all about that when they started out. They've become everything they used to speak out against.[/QUOTE]

Just like the Beatles, Led Zepplin's members, the Who, the Stones, and every Punk Rock act who ever made it past the age of 30?:D

Youth in Rock is about Rebellion.

The Old in Rock is about the job, the profession, the money, with a little art tossed in from time to time (we hope).
    Last edited by Warfish; 06-17-2011 at 10:25 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember buying Kill Em All on cassette the day it came out...then I remember them getting destroyed on WSOU when they put out Ride The Lightning, which I still pretty much don't like to this day.

Damn that was a long time ago...sophomore in high school...eesh

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;4049339][IMG]http://www.grayflannelsuit.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/james-hetfield-robert-trujillo-shopping-metallica.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

This drips win.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4049341]Every time I see Metallica perform or in interviews, I despise them more, especially the nearly bald, posturing, antipatico (sic) Lars. IMO, they lost every ounce of their well earned rock credibility after their disastrous film, [I]Some Kind of Monster[/I], was released. The level of "slappabilty" each of the band members achieved in that cluster f**k has only been exceeded exponentially since. Face it, other than Kirk Hammett (who still somehow maintains a respectable level of musicianship and appeal), Metallica has become a Vegas act.

Also, can Robert Trujillo tone down the stage histrionics? I feel like I'm watching a bass player imitating the drummer Animal from [I]The Muppet Show[/I].[/QUOTE]

I have not seen that film, I'm sure it was embarrassing, I have no doubt they are spoiled dicks -except Trujillo. But I would probably put Death Magnetic on my top ten album list of all time. After struggling between Lightning and Death Magnetic as my all time favorite Metallica album the new one won out. I thought they were dead after St. Anger. I never would have guessed
    the rest.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;4049441]I have not seen that film, I'm sure it was embarrassing, I have no doubt they are spoiled dicks -except Trujillo. But I would probably put Death Magnetic on my top ten album list of all time. After struggling between Lightning and Death Magnetic as my all time favorite Metallica album the new one won out. I thought they were dead after St. Anger. I never would have guessed
    the rest.[/QUOTE]

DM as a top 10 all time....seems pretty shallow. I liked it, but it definitely isn't that good. Somewhere in Top 25, maybe.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LIDeadHead;4049346]Oh yeah, and there is also this in Metallica news:

[url]http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=159509[/url]

[IMG]http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/metreed.jpg[/IMG]

David Fricke of RollingStone.com spoke to METALLICA and legendary rocker Lou Reed about their new collaborative studio album. The as-yet-untitled CD features 10 songs composed by Reed with significant arrangement contributions by METALLICA and is described by Fricke as "a raging union of [Reed's] 1973 noir classic, 'Berlin', and METALLICA's '86 crusher, 'Master Of Puppets'."

On their unlikely collaboration:

Reed: "A marriage made in heaven. I knew it from the first day we played together: 'Oh, man, this is perfection, right in front of me.' "?

Lars Ulrich (METALLICA drummer): "I don't think we've ever felt this free. There's nothing that's totally outside of the boundary for us, nothing that feels like 'Oh, what happens if we go there?' The strength of us" – he gestures at Reed – "is it feels like we cannot land on a wrong place."?

Reed: "They're bringing METALLICA, with all that power. And because they're pretty sophisticated, wherever I go, they're still with me."?

James Hetfield (METALLICA guitarist/vocalist): "Lars and I listened to [Reed's demos] and it was like, 'Wow, this is very different.' It was scary at first, because the music was so open. But then I thought, 'This could go anywhere.'"

Kirk Hammett (METALLICA guitarist): "It doesn't feel like we're his backup band. It feels like we're a different band, in a situation we've never been in before."

Robert Trujillo (METALLICA bassist): "It's making us a better band."?

On their first performance in October 2009 at the 25th-anniversary Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame concerts in New York:

Reed: "We knew from then that we were made for each other."

On how and when the album will be released (Reed does not have a record deal, and METALLICA is no longer on Warner Bros.):

Lars Ulrich: "We are free to go wherever. I'm obviously psyched for people to hear this, in whatever way we feel is right."?

James Hetfield: "I told Lou I want to be there when people hear it. I want to see their faces."

Songtitles set to appear on the CD include the seven-minute "Pumping Blood", which — according to Fricke — "opens with a drone that breaks into a crunching march, goes into speed-metal gear and breaks into free-fall sections," and "Mistress Dread", which "features Reed singing across a relentless staccato riff played at manic velocity."

Read more from RollingStone.com.[/QUOTE]

I'm excited for this.

Anyone going to the Big 4 show in September?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Metallica eats c*ck. Death Magnetic licks shaft. Metallica stopped being good when they ran out of Mustaine's material.

And that being said....Megadeth also eats c*ck now.

You're not supposed to keep releasing tired versions of the same boring riffs decade after decade. Bands just don't know when to turn off the amps and put their instruments away. That's not to say they shouldn't tour and make $$$ just playing the stuff that people liked. Why can't Metallica just have gone around the country playing pre-Black album sh*t? People would have went and they wouldn't have looked ridiculous trying to re-invent thrash metal in the 2000's. The thrash era is gone. Done. Finished. Give up the ghost. It sounds bad now. You want to have a lasting impact on music, then give younger, newer bands with newer sounds a leg up in the game. Do some collaborations. Mentor. Don't try to come out with more thrash. The sound is stale for a reason...you guys beat it to death, which was f*cking awesome in the day.

Now, you're middle-aged, balding and all due for proctology exams. You look dumb trying to emulate your Golden Years. Go sit the f*ck down.

You guys have become the Uncle Rico of metal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4049583]Metallica eats c*ck. Death Magnetic licks shaft. Metallica stopped being good when they ran out of Mustaine's material.

And that being said....Megadeth also eats c*ck now.

You're not supposed to keep releasing tired versions of the same boring riffs decade after decade. Bands just don't know when to turn off the amps and put their instruments away. That's not to say they shouldn't tour and make $$$ just playing the stuff that people liked. Why can't Metallica just have gone around the country playing pre-Black album sh*t? People would have went and they wouldn't have looked ridiculous trying to re-invent thrash metal in the 2000's. The thrash era is gone. Done. Finished. Give up the ghost. It sounds bad now. You want to have a lasting impact on music, then give younger, newer bands with newer sounds a leg up in the game. Do some collaborations. Mentor. Don't try to come out with more thrash. The sound is stale for a reason...you guys beat it to death, which was f*cking awesome in the day.

Now, you're middle-aged, balding and all due for proctology exams. You look dumb trying to emulate your Golden Years. Go sit the f*ck down.

You guys have become the Uncle Rico of metal.[/QUOTE]

Don't hold back PK.