Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone own a tablet OTHER than an iPad?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone own a tablet OTHER than an iPad?

My laptop crapped out recently and I'm thinking of replacing it with a tablet. I don't need to do anything too intensive these days involving speadsheets or word processing, so I need it mostly for web surfing, email, remote video, etc.

Although I'm an Apple fan, I think the web would be too limiting without Flash, so I'm considering a Tab running Android 3.1, but have read both hot and cold reviews. I'm consiodering primarily the Acer or Asus, and maybe the new Toshiba due out next month. All run about $100 less than the comparable iPad FWIW.

Anyone with real world experience with these types of tablets?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4051968]My laptop crapped out recently and I'm thinking of replacing it with a tablet. I don't need to do anything too intensive these days involving speadsheets or word processing, so I need it mostly for web surfing, email, remote video, etc.

Although I'm an Apple fan, I think the web would be too limiting without Flash, so I'm considering a Tab running Android 3.1, but have read both hot and cold reviews. I'm consiodering primarily the Acer or Asus, and maybe the new Toshiba due out next month. All run about $100 less than the comparable iPad FWIW.

Anyone with real world experience with these types of tablets?[/QUOTE]

It seems like the Motorla Xoom is one of the best. If you look on "android central" you can probably get a ton of information...detailed about the tabs....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4051968]

Yes. Awesome battery life.

[IMG]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9uW9OD2IF-WM8-TNwNNgSf6k2yrhSMNnPPWaocBq_aAfbpuIY[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Samsung Galaxy 10.1 is supposed to be the shiz; not sure I can justify the price tho...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4052022]Samsung Galaxy 10.1 is supposed to be the shiz; not sure I can justify the price tho...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but both price and the fact there's no SD or micro SD slot is a deal-breaker.

Both the Acer and Asus have the price value won, and the SD expansion capabilities, it's the questionable build quality that's a draw back I think.

At $399 and $449 entry, that's tough to beat.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a store credit at PC Richards after my Yamaha receiver died in the 4year 11 month mark of a 5 year warranty. I bought a lesser cost receiver and used the rest of the store credit on a no name brand tablet, a company called Archos. They are basically a low end maker of tablets, addressing the needs that Ipad users have wanted. I picked up the Archos 101 model with 16GB storage. I gave it to my wife as a 'starter' tablet.

Its kinda of cheap feeling. And the screen although larger then a iPad, has poor views when looking at it sideways.

The only thing decent really about is, is the ability to run Netflix on it (which requires some work to install). They don't even load Android Market on it, but instead, their own App store interface. It is possible to install Android Market.

Bottom line, it's a piece of crap and not worth the money. I can't complain because it was in a sense, free.

Would it make a good gift for someone, no way.

Avoid at all costs and find a familiar brand name (if your avoiding Apple).

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4051968]My laptop crapped out recently and I'm thinking of replacing it with a tablet. I don't need to do anything too intensive these days involving speadsheets or word processing, so I need it mostly for web surfing, email, remote video, etc.

If you're an Apple fan, there's no reason to leave behind their greatest product. I've played with all the tablets, even ones not out yet, and none compare to the iPad. To hit the right retail, they all take shortcuts on fit/finish and much of the OS is unintuitive and sluggish.

Having had an iPad for over a year now, I can tell you I don't miss Flash at all. Most sites are moving away from Flash towards HTML5 anyway, considering how popular the iPad has become.

My advice: Apple has a 30 day return policy. Go get an iPad, put it through its paces, and see what you think in 29 days time.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my wife an ipad 2 a couple of weeks ago, she seems to like it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4052059]If you're an Apple fan, there's no reason to leave behind their greatest product. I've played with all the tablets, even ones not out yet, and none compare to the iPad. To hit the right retail, [B]they all take shortcuts on fit/finish and much of the OS is unintuitive and sluggish.[/B]Having had an iPad for over a year now, I can tell you I don't miss Flash at all. Most sites are moving away from Flash towards HTML5 anyway, considering how popular the iPad has become.

My advice: Apple has a 30 day return policy. Go get an iPad, put it through its paces, and see what you think in 29 days time.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

As much as I am not a fan of Apple, this is a good point. The Blackberry and maybe it was the Xoom both needed to have updates performed within the first months and one had to be sent back to the factory so there is definitely a rush to get these out. If you were looking for an andriod tablet, it makes sense to check out the Xoom

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LIDeadHead;4052051]I had a store credit at PC Richards after my Yamaha receiver died in the 4year 11 month mark of a 5 year warranty. I bought a lesser cost receiver and used the rest of the store credit on a no name brand tablet, a company called Archos. They are basically a low end maker of tablets, addressing the needs that Ipad users have wanted. I picked up the Archos 101 model with 16GB storage. I gave it to my wife as a 'starter' tablet.

Its kinda of cheap feeling. And the screen although larger then a iPad, has poor views when looking at it sideways.

The only thing decent really about is, is the ability to run Netflix on it (which requires some work to install). They don't even load Android Market on it, but instead, their own App store interface. It is possible to install Android Market.

Bottom line, it's a piece of crap and not worth the money. I can't complain because it was in a sense, free.

Would it make a good gift for someone, no way.

Avoid at all costs and find a familiar brand name (if your avoiding Apple).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've seen the Archos for under $200 and some other off-brands for even less. I don't have interest in those. Anyway, I wouldn't even consider a Tab that's running Android 2.0 or even 3.0 to be honest. honeycomb 3.1 is the way to go if going non-iPad.

[QUOTE=SAR I;4052059]If you're an Apple fan, there's no reason to leave behind their greatest product. I've played with all the tablets, even ones not out yet, and none compare to the iPad. To hit the right retail, they all take shortcuts on fit/finish and much of the OS is unintuitive and sluggish.

Having had an iPad for over a year now, I can tell you I don't miss Flash at all. Most sites are moving away from Flash towards HTML5 anyway, considering how popular the iPad has become.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I've played with the iPad and it's certainly a great product. Functionally, however, having a tablet that's android based is easier to use than an Apple based product when interfacing with a PC. No coversion fo files necessary.

I do think I'd miss Flash, and it will be many years, if ever before it goes away.

Playing around with a decent Tab running Honeycomb is neither slow, nor counter-intuitive to me at least for the light workout I've been able to give them.

[QUOTE=frankiepapa;4052079]As much as I am not a fan of Apple, this is a good point. The Blackberry and maybe it was the Xoom both needed to have updates performed within the first months and one had to be sent back to the factory so there is definitely a rush to get these out. If you were looking for an andriod tablet, it makes sense to check out the Xoom[/QUOTE]

Xoom is way too much money fro what it is. Both the Acer and the ASUS are essentially the same tablet for a few hundred less. A tad lesser build quality perhaps, but one of them are even rumoured to be built on the same line as the Xoom.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Last edited by GronkWelkhead; 06-23-2011 at 01:31 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4052090]Both the Acer and the Acer are essentially the same tablet [/QUOTE]
    I've heard that

:erm:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4052095]I've heard that

:erm:[/QUOTE]

lol...fixed.

helluva proof-reader there JW!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How do netbooks stack up in all of this?

The seem to be able to do most of what a PC does for about $300.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4052059]If you're an Apple fan, there's no reason to leave behind their greatest product. I've played with all the tablets, even ones not out yet, and none compare to the iPad. To hit the right retail, they all take shortcuts on fit/finish and much of the OS is unintuitive and sluggish.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I received my iPad as a birthday gift last year and I thought I'd never use it. Instead, I literally use it everyday, most of the time. I'm using it right now to type and post this. I take it on every trip and use it far more than I thought I ever would.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4052070]I bought my wife an ipad 2 a couple of weeks ago, she seems to like it.[/QUOTE]

lol - you ballbuster! :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This article (and its 102 comments) may be of some help...

[B]The Best iPad 2 Alternatives: 7 Competing Tablets To Check Ou[/B]t

[url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/23/best-ipad-2-alternatives-tablet-competitors_n_882478.html#s295999&title=Samsung_Galaxy_Tab[/url]

-

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Phoenixx;4052539]This article (and its 102 comments) may be of some help...

[B]The Best iPad 2 Alternatives: 7 Competing Tablets To Check Ou[/B]t

[url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/23/best-ipad-2-alternatives-tablet-competitors_n_882478.html#s295999&title=Samsung_Galaxy_Tab[/url]

-[/QUOTE]

Thanks a bunch. Although the article was pretty much a rehash of what I've already read, the comments from many actual users were informative. Thanks for the post.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4052166]I received my iPad as a birthday gift last year and I thought I'd never use it. Instead, I literally use it everyday, most of the time. I'm using it right now to type and post this. I take it on every trip and use it far more than I thought I ever would.[/QUOTE]

Same thing here, same experience.

Bought it on a whim, use it more than any other device. Once you realize that you don't need to build spreadsheets much, everything else falls into place. We surf websites, we read email, we play games, we listen to music, we watch video, we post on message boards. Nothing does [I]that[/I] set of functions better than an iPad. And once you ger used to instant on/off, you can't go back to a notebook.

I'm here in London in a hotel and my iPad is silently working, making no noise and no heat and still is on 68% battery life after a 6 hour flight.

Take away spreadsheets and there's nothing the iPad can't do.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Heynowguy;4052106]How do netbooks stack up in all of this?

The seem to be able to do most of what a PC does for about $300.[/QUOTE]

A Netbook is an awful product. It's a de-featured laptop with no software and no RAM for poor people.

Buy a used notebook off Craigslist before you get a Netbook.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4052861]A Netbook is an awful product. It's a de-featured laptop with no software and no RAM for poor people.

Buy a used notebook off Craigslist before you get a Netbook.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

You're in Europe and it's 3 am local time.

And you're on teh Hampur.

What is wrong with you?

I'm glad I didn't give you any advice on trips to Europe.

Would have fallen on deaf ears.

_