Thread: I'm going to be Radioactive B***CHES!!!

Jets Insider VIP

I'm going to be Radioactive B***CHES!!!

[URL="http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/06/27/nebraska.flooding/index.html?hpt=hp_t2"]http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/06/27/nebraska.flooding/index.html?hpt=hp_t2[/URL]
    [QUOTE] A nuclear power plant in Nebraska, which is being threatened by rising floodwaters, switched to back-up generators for a time after a water-filled berm protecting the site collapsed Sunday, a statement from the plant said.

"As a precaution, per plant procedure, the operators started the diesel generators and temporarily disconnected from off-site power," the statement by Omaha Public Power District (OPPD), which owns the Fort Calhoun plant, said. "Plant operators later reconnected to off-site power once all safety checks had been completed."

The facility at Fort Calhoun has three back-up generators, which can be used to keep the nuclear fuel at the plant cool, said Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) spokesman Eliot Brenner. Only one is necessary to meet the plant's needs.

NRC Chairman Gregory Jaczko is scheduled to visit the site Monday.

The water-filled berm protecting the nuclear facility deflated early Sunday after some sort of machinery punctured it, said OPPD spokesman Mike Jones.

The plant, located about 20 miles north of Omaha, has been shut since April for refueling.

"The plant is still protected. This was an additional, a secondary, level of protection that we had put up," Jones said. "The plant remains protected to the level it would have been if the aqua berm had not been added."

Parts of the grounds are already under water as the swollen Missouri River overflows its banks, including areas around some auxiliary buildings, Jones said.

In addition to the berm, authorities have put in place floodgates and other barriers to help protect the facility, like sandbags.

The 8-foot-tall, water-filled berm, 16 feet wide at its base, surrounded the reactor containment structure and auxiliary buildings, according to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

"We built the plant up high enough based on history, based on the flooding in the past. If the flood would rise for some reason above that level we have taken precautions, again, per our procedures to sandbag the important equipment for the reactors," said Dave Van Der Kamp, with the Nebraska Public Power District.

He said the chances of floodwater getting into the building where the core is kept are almost zero.

The plant is designed to withstand waters up to 1,014 feet above mean sea level, according to the OPPD. The river currently stands at 1,006.3 feet and is not expected to exceed 1,008 feet, the OPPD said.

Heavy rainfall in Montana and North Dakota, combined with melting snow from the Rocky Mountains, have sent the Missouri surging downstream this summer. The river washed over and punched through levees in nearby northwestern Missouri, spurring authorities to urge about 250 nearby residents to leave their homes.

The 6 to 12 inches of rainfall in the upper Missouri basin in the past few weeks is nearly a normal year's worth, and runoff from the mountain snowpack is 140% of normal, according to forecasters.

It was catastrophic flooding from Japan's March 11 tsunami that knocked out cooling systems at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, resulting in three reactors melting down and producing the worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl. This year's Midwestern flooding has also led to a spate of rumors about the Fort Calhoun plant that OPPD and the NRC have been trying to knock down.

The utility has set up a "flood rumor control" page to reassure the public that there has been no release of radioactivity from the plant. An electrical fire June 7 did knock out cooling to its spent fuel storage pool for about 90 minutes, but the coolant water did not reach a boiling point before backup pumps went into service, it has said.

[/QUOTE]

I will be using my new superhuman powers for evil btw....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

This is one of those times when floodgates actually means gates that stop floods.

Good luck, Pee.

Jets Insider VIP
    If your weiner glows in the dark, I could see you making lots of money from that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Ending your thread title w/ *****es just inst funny anymore. Will this trend just die?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4053763]Ending your thread title w/ *****es just inst funny anymore. Will this trend just die?[/QUOTE]

I dunno. I kinda like it. I think its braggin rights.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4053763]Ending your thread title w/ *****es just inst funny anymore. Will this trend just die?[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu190/PlumberKhan/bad-fashion-hipster-glasses.jpg[/IMG]

All League

I was thinking the same thing last week. Was even gonna start a thread "Enough with the b****es, b****es", but didn't get around to it.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4053769][IMG]http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu190/PlumberKhan/bad-fashion-hipster-glasses.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

LOL

I think you mean "TEH" funny....

also... if this thread were a football player, I would sign this beast
    but only to short money.

Jets Insider VIP

This trend just got started.

Plus complaining just ensured that it will live on forever...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;4053824]This trend just got started.
    [B]
    Plus complaining just ensured that it will live on forever...[/B][/QUOTE]

+1, *****es!!!

Jets Insider VIP

Plus complaining just ensured that it will live on forever...[/QUOTE]

this is true: if nothing else, we're very immature, and if we know you don't like it...well, GFY, b1tches!!!

All League

Plus complaining just ensured that it will live on forever...[/QUOTE]

In the Hampur, beating a dead horse is ALWAYS a good time, and even encouraged.

This trend, however, has definately lost some luster.

Maybe it could use a spit shine rim job?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Big L;4053990]In the Hampur, beating a dead horse is ALWAYS a good time, and even encouraged.

This trend, however, has definately lost some luster.

Maybe it could use a spit shine rim job?[/QUOTE]

Meh, the trends are mostly subject to the rules of natural selection. They either adapt and evolve or they just peter off into extinction.

Of course, there is always thread necro.:D

Veteran

Common!

[SIZE="1"][I]Is that better? :D[/I][/SIZE]

Bewildered Beast
    Joe W. is right...b*es

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4054080]Joe W. is [B]wright[/B]...b*es[/QUOTE]

Fixed

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4054080]Joe W. is never right...b*es[/QUOTE]

[I]really[/I] fixed