Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Surviving TWO Plane Crashes, in One Lifetime

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Surviving TWO Plane Crashes, in One Lifetime

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/26/indiana-basketball-standout-survives-2nd-plane-crash/?test=latestnews[/url]

[QUOTE]Austin Hatch, 16, of Fort Wayne, Ind., was in critical condition Saturday in a northern Michigan hospital after the Friday evening crash that killed his father, Dr. Stephen Hatch, and his stepmother, Kim. Austin and his pilot father had survived a 2003 crash that killed Austin's mother and two siblings.[/QUOTE]

Read more: [url]http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/26/indiana-basketball-standout-survives-2nd-plane-crash/#ixzz1QUWTPdcR[/url]

Not sure if lucky, or cursed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I am a pilot and I kill my wife and kids in a plane crash, no way I ever pilot a plane again...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign this beast.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ...because Austin Hatch is 'Unbreakable'

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFreak89;4053828]If I am a pilot and I kill my wife and kids in a plane crash, no way I ever pilot a plane again...[/QUOTE]

Agreed...IMO he put proving a point ahead of safety when he decided to risk flying again with his surviving son. That poor kid.:(

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFreak89;4053828]If I am a pilot and I kill my wife and kids in a plane crash, no way I ever pilot a plane again...[/QUOTE]

Tough call. I got myself, wife and son into a pretty bad rollover accident a few years ago that we were all very lucky to walk away from. It was extremely stressful to get back behind the wheel with them after that, and I made sure to buy a vehicle that had a very small chance of ever rolling over, but I had to get back on the horse. It doesn't really bother me anymore, I just get in the car and go without thinking about it.

Of course you don't [i]have[/i] to fly - you have to drive and I never had anyone die on me. I'd imagine that he probably felt he was safe flying and didn't really think about the first crash anymore. They also say that the odds of a fatal plane crash are much less than a fatal car crash.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatriotReign;4053835]Agreed...IMO he put proving a point ahead of safety when he decided to risk flying again with his surviving son. That poor kid.:([/QUOTE]

There is something to be said however, for overcoming your fears. Had the father driven a car that crashed and killed his children, should he have risked ever driving again with the surviving one?

I'd also think that the odds of being in a plane crash as small as they are, the chances of not only surviving one, but then being in a second crash would be even smaller.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4053831]Sign this beast.[/QUOTE]

Strangely enough, he is an athlete. Recruited heavily by Michigan to play BB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I made my family my Caesar Salad many years ago with bad anchiovies.

Everyone got sick.

Took me years to make it for them again.

But at some point, you have to get back up on that anchiove.

[SIZE="1"](Queue: Dirtstar with the softball)[/SIZE]
    _

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Equilibrium;4053851]There is something to be said however, for overcoming your fears. Had the father driven a car that crashed and killed his children, should he have risked ever driving again with the surviving one?

I'd also think that the odds of being in a plane crash as small as they are, the chances of not only surviving one, but then being in a second crash would be even smaller.[/QUOTE]

Good point but the margin for error so to speak is a bit more forgiving in a car when it comes to crashes. The NTSB cited "inaccurate preflight planning resulted in the plane not having enough fuel" as the cause in the first crash. The dad disputed the findings but if true it was a tragic error. In that light it's not unreasonable to at least question whether the dad (once again) put his passion for flying ahead of safety.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4053894]I made my family my Caesar Salad many years ago with bad anchiovies.

Everyone got sick.

Took me years to make it for them again.

But at some point, you have to get back up on that anchiove.

[SIZE="1"](Queue: Dirtstar with the softball)[/SIZE]
    _[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTn6cmQ5ihXROO-SIzNsZR8k9EbP1s21domHgeMVXkzKgP69IBjeA[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You gotta wonder if people who survive these types of events are blessed or cursed...take for example Roy Sullivan...

[QUOTE]Roy Cleveland Sullivan (February 7, 1912 September 28, 1983) was a U.S. park ranger in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. Between 1942 and 1977, Sullivan was hit by lightning on seven different occasions and survived all of them. For this reason, he gained a nickname "Human Lightning Conductor" or "Human Lightning Rod". Sullivan is recognized by Guinness World Records as the person struck by lightning more recorded times than any other human being. He died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound at the age of 71 over an unrequited love[/QUOTE]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;4053834]...because Austin Hatch is 'Unbreakable'[/QUOTE]

:D:D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatriotReign;4053835]Agreed...IMO he put proving a point ahead of safety when he decided to risk flying again with his surviving son. That poor kid.:([/QUOTE]Was it foolhardy verve, or a deeper motive?

"I know those bad feelings will go away if we can just start flying again...don't you agree, son?"

not saying this is what happened, but iffin this was Dad's line of thinking, how horrible was it to live with yourself after being ultimately responsible for the lives of wife and daughters...