Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 "80's Metal" Albums

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Top 10 "80's Metal" Albums

[B]Mods, is it possible to create a songs forum? [/B]

1. Metallica - 'Master Of Puppets' (1986)

Metallica's third album is their best. It doesn't have the radio singles and MTV videos as some of their later releases, but is a musical tour de force. From the trademark thrash of "Battery" to the instrumental stylings of "Orion," it's a sound of a band on top of their game. The songs are diverse and the musicianship is simply incredible.

2. Slayer - 'Reign In Blood' (1986)

This is one of the top 3 thrash metal albums and one of the top 10 metal albums ever. Many publications have named it the best metal album ever. This is speed metal at its finest, with compact songs jam packed with riffs and head banging intensity. The lyrics are also filled with dark and disturbing images. Slayer released several fantastic albums, and this is their masterpiece.

3. Iron Maiden - 'The Number Of The Beast' (1982)

After losing their lead singer, Iron Maiden found Bruce Dickinson and rebounded with their best album and one that is a true heavy metal classic. "Run To The Hills" and the title track are among the best singles you'll ever hear, and there is not a bit of filler on this album. It features spectacular and diverse songwriting, great vocals from Dickinson and is one of the best metal albums ever.

4. Metallica - 'Ride The Lightning' (1984)

Metallica's first album was groundbreaking, and Ride The Lightning, their second release, was another big step forward. Their songwriting improved dramatically, and they also expanded their musical horizons and the result was a much more diverse effort. Some of the classics on this album include "Creeping Death," "Fade To Black" and "For Whom The Bell Tolls."

5. Judas Priest - 'British Steel' (1980)

After releasing several good albums in the 1970's, this is the one that sent Judas Priest to the stratosphere. It is widely considered to be their best album. By this time Priest had refined and perfected their sound and focused on writing catchy arena rock anthems, and they hit home runs with "Breaking The Law" and "Living After Midnight."

6. Queensryche - 'Operation Mindcrime' (1988)

With their third album Queensryche brought together a great concept and great songs. Operation Mindcrime tells a story filled with political intrigue and romance. The songs are complex, yet catchy, and Geoff Tate's vocals never sounded better. Highlights include "Eyes Of A Stranger" and "I Don't Believe In Love." As a political statement of what was happening at the end of the Reagan era it is very effective. As a musical statement it's even more effective.

7. Metallica - Kill 'Em All' (1983)

Metallica didn't invent thrash, but they certainly brought it to the masses, and this album is the one that started it all. Their debut album was groundbreaking, packed with raw power and blazing fast riffs that they would polish and perfect over the years. Dave Mustaine co-wrote several songs on this album, although he was no longer a member of the band by this time. Highlights include "Whiplash," "No Remorse" and "Seek and

8. Metallica - 'And Justice For All' (1988)

Metallica's fourth studio album is the one that launched them into the mainstream. The video for the song "One" received extensive airplay on MTV. One of my all time favorite Metallica songs, "Blackened," is also on this album. And Justice For All was one of their most musically complex album, utilizing unusual time signatures, orchestration and epic compositions.

9. Megadeth - 'Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?' (1986)

Megadeth really hit their stride on this, their second album. It's a speed metal classic with great songs like "Wake Up Dead," "Devil's Island" and "Peace Sells." The band's songwriting improved quite a bit from their debut album and 20 years later it still holds up extremely well.
    Compare Prices

10. Dio - 'Holy Diver' (1983)

After fronting Rainbow and Black Sabbath, Ronnie James Dio formed his own group. He did a great job selecting his bandmates. Vivian Campbell is an outstanding guitarist and Vinny Appice a rock solid drummer. Their debut is a heavy metal classic. Dio has one of the best voices in metal, and some put him at the top. All 9 songs on the album are excellent, including the hits "Rainbow In The Dark" and the title track. "Stand Up And Shout" is also a very memorable song.
    Last edited by JetsKnicksYankeesRangers; 07-05-2011 at 05:34 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    No way should Ride The Lightning be on that list - one of their worst albums, IMO.

Also I was a huge Priest fan and while British Steel finally put them on the map, Screaming For Vengeance finally put them over the top.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsKnicksYankeesRangers;4056990]

8. Metallica - 'And Justice For All' (1988)

Metallica's fourth studio album is the one that launched them into the mainstream. The video for the song "One" received extensive airplay on MTV. One of my all time favorite Metallica songs, "Blackened," is also on this album. And Justice For All was one of their most musically complex album, utilizing unusual time signatures, orchestration and epic compositions.

[/QUOTE]

The sound engineer for that album should be shot for wasting an awesome album with tin can drums and ear piercing guitars (not the good kind).

I would love for that album to be remastered with a better sound.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm....we have a different opinion on what 80's metal refers to. I always think more of the glam scene first when you think of 80's metal. Perhaps I shall think about this and do two: one of glam metal, one of not-so-glam metal.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;4057001]Hmmmm....we have a different opinion on what 80's metal refers to. I always think more of the glam scene first when you think of 80's metal. Perhaps I shall think about this and do two: one of glam metal, one of not-so-glam metal.[/QUOTE]

I think this article was just going off of anything released in the 80s.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;4057003]I think this article was just going off of anything released in the 80s.[/QUOTE]

No, the article is an actual compilation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay...
    Non Glam (at least, what I call non-glam) in no particular order:
    1. Number of the Beast-Iron Maiden.
    2. Screaming for Vengeance-Judas Priest.
    3. Among the Living-Anthrax.
    4. Ride the Lightning-Metallica (sorry Fishhooked)
    5. Holy Diver-Dio
    6. Badlands-Badlands
    7. Forged in Fire-Anvil
    8. Appetite for Destruction-Guns and Roses
    9. Mechanical Resonance-Tesla
    10. Operation Mindcrime-Queensryche

Glam: (no particular order)
    1. Motley Crue-Too Fast for Love
    2. Black N' Blue-Without Love
    3. Twisted Sister-You Can't Stop Rock and Roll
    4. Ratt- Out of the Cellar
    5. Bon Jovi-Slippery When Wet
    6. Def Leppard-Pyromania
    7. Quiet Riot-Metal Health
    8. Van Halen-1984/5150
    9. Wrathchild-Stakk Atakk
    10. David Lee Roth-Eat Em' and Smile.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;4057006]Okay...
    Non Glam (at least, what I call non-glam) in no particular order:
    1. Number of the Beast-Iron Maiden.
    2. Screaming for Vengeance-Judas Priest.
    3. Among the Living-Anthrax.
    4. Ride the Lightning-Metallica (sorry Fishhooked)
    5. Holy Diver-Dio
    6. Badlands-Badlands
    7. Forged in Fire-Anvil
    8. Appetite for Destruction-Guns and Roses
    9. Mechanical Resonance-Tesla
    10. Operation Mindcrime-Queensryche

2. Black N' Blue-Without Love
    5. Bon Jovi-Slippery When Wet
    6. Def Leppard-Pyromania
    7. Quiet Riot-Metal Health
    8. Van Halen-1984/5150
    9. Wrathchild-Stakk Atakk
    10. David Lee Roth-Eat Em' and Smile.[/QUOTE]

Surprisingly no Ozzy anywhere!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;4057006]Okay...

[/QUOTE]

... first thought before opening thread was ... motley crue, twisted sister, & ratt should be on list for 80's metal ...

l_j_r

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;4057014]... first thought before opening thread was ... motley crue, twisted sister, & ratt should be on list for 80's metal ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

Can't go wrong with them 3, like I stated Ozzy!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Poison - Open up and say ahh
    GNR - Appetie for Destruction
    Sikd Row - Skid Row
    Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
    Def Leppard - Hysteria

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4057029]Poison - Open up and say ahh
    [/QUOTE]

Your penis called, he wants his buddies back.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4057029]
    Def Leppard - Hysteria[/QUOTE]

What?

The only thing close to metal Def Leppard ever put out was High N Dry - that was their best album bar none...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [LIST][*]Anthrax - Among the Living[*]Metallica - Master of Puppets[*]Scorpions - Blackout[*]GnR - Appetite[*]Slayer - Raining Blood[*]Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath[*]Ozzy - Blizzard of Oz[*]Testament - The Legacy[*]Megadeth - Peace Sells...[*]Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood[/LIST]

:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4057055][LIST][*]Slayer - [B]Raining [/B]Blood[/LIST]

:yes:[/QUOTE]

:P

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;4057061]:P[/QUOTE]

lolz....I herped my derp list

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does Pfail Jam count?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very little of whats on that list would I describe as "80's Metal".

When I think 80's Metal, I think Hair Metal, Def Leppard (post Hysteria), Poison, Motley Crew, Ratt, Slaughter and the various others. Plenty of great (if in hindisght VERY cheesy) tunes and albums in that lot.

The albums on the list tho, are almost all bands who eclipse the limiting aspect of "80's" anything. All have had great success to one degree or another either before or after the 80's, whereas "80's Metal" bands as I define them are almost all exclusive to the 80's in their windows of activity and success.

Not trying to be nitpicky, but when I saw the list I was very much in the "huh? Thats not 80's metal" mindframe.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mods, are we talking best "80's metal" album or best album by "metal bands of the 80's? Any clarification would be helpful...Tx.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4057081]Very little of whats on that list would I describe as "80's Metal".

When I think 80's Metal, I think Hair Metal, Def Leppard (post Hysteria), Poison, Motley Crew, Ratt, Slaughter and the various others. Plenty of great (if in hindisght VERY cheesy) tunes and albums in that lot.

The albums on the list tho, are almost all bands who eclipse the limiting aspect of "80's" anything. All have had great success to one degree or another either before or after the 80's, whereas "80's Metal" bands as I define them are almost all exclusive to the 80's in their windows of activity and success.

Not trying to be nitpicky, but when I saw the list I was very much in the "huh? Thats not 80's metal" mindframe.[/QUOTE]

That list just got Warfisted.

I agree in that most people hear the term '80s metal' immediately think of hair bands. They really should define their criteria more.

4 Metallica albums in the top 10 :rolleyes: I love them too but try to do an objective list.