Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPad Question

All Pro

iPad Question

I've always gotten good responses to my questions in the off topic forum. I'm considering purchasing an iPad (probably the iPad 3 when it comes out in October). My only concern is the lack of Flash. I've heard of iSwifter and the Skyfire browser but I've heard Skyfire doesn't work with Hulu and iSwifter is subscription paid app. My question is, are there ways to get Flash on iPad without jailbreaking it or paying a subscription fee?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

With or without flash, you're not going to get hulu on a mobile device - hulu blocks access.
    I used to get flash on my pocket pc phone via skyfire, and on my droid before the native implementation came out, and it worked well for the most part. Can't help you with flash on the ipad w/o jailbreaking though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

All Pro
    Thanks isired, I had no idea. So even a Galaxy or Xoom wouldn't be able to get Flash?

My big want would be to be able to watch TV shows on it. Any advice excluding buying the iTunes episodes?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=isired;4057429]With or without flash, you're not going to get hulu on a mobile device - hulu blocks access.[/QUOTE]

Why do they do that? :confused:

[QUOTE=ChadOwnsBrady;4057419]I've always gotten good responses to my questions in the off topic forum. I'm considering purchasing an iPad (probably the iPad 3 when it comes out in October). My only concern is the lack of Flash. I've heard of iSwifter and the Skyfire browser but I've heard Skyfire doesn't work with Hulu and iSwifter is subscription paid app. My question is, are there ways to get Flash on iPad without jailbreaking it or paying a subscription fee?[/QUOTE]

Hulu is paywalled, there's no workaround.

Flash is completely overrated on mobile devices and unnecessary on an iPad. Flash gobbles up memory, uses huge amounts of data, and is a security risk. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been on my iPad and said "damn, wish I could see this site" and I cursed [I]them [/I]for not making an iPad-friendly experience, not Apple keeping my browsing experience quick and efficient.

SAR I

[QUOTE=ChadOwnsBrady;4057433]Thanks isired, I had no idea. So even a Galaxy or Xoom wouldn't be able to get Flash?

My big want would be to be able to watch TV shows on it. Any advice excluding buying the iTunes episodes?[/QUOTE]

TV episodes are $1.99. If you can't afford $1.99 a couple of times a week, well, you shouldn't be looking at a $700 piece of consumer electronics.

SAR I

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4057488]TV episodes are $1.99. If you can't afford $1.99 a couple of times a week, well, you shouldn't be looking at a $700 piece of consumer electronics.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Ah, a money attack! Classic SAR!

The guy who calls up Francesa and says "For those of us who have money."

I can afford 1.99, but why the hell should I pay for something I can get for free on my tivo or anywhere on my computer? It's merely for convenience.

But that's for judging what I should and shouldn't get, dick.

[QUOTE=ChadOwnsBrady]

I can afford 1.99, but why the hell should I pay for something I can get for free on my tivo or anywhere on my computer? It's merely for convenience.

But that's for judging what I should and shouldn't get, dick.[/QUOTE]

1. "Convenience" equals spending a few cents to not have to waste time searching around for ways to not spend a few cents. That's why iTunes is so successful. Back in 2004 everyone realized that it just wasn't worth $0.99 cents to waste time on Limewire searching for songs. Same for TV shows today.

2. Mobile devices are all about data consumption. Unlike a wired computer or wired HDTV, mobile devices have bandwidth issues on our dicey and underdeveloped US networks. If 10% of ATT and Verizon users streamed TV shows on the commute to work, the other 90% wouldn't be able to make a phone call or send a text.

3. My name isn't Dick.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 07-06-2011 at 06:53 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    What's this iPad you speak of?

:huh: :(

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4057754]What's this iPad you speak of?

:huh: :([/QUOTE]

I hope you didn't lose anything else in that big dust storm.

[QUOTE=SAR I;4057562]

3. My name isn't Dick.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Dickberg?

Dickenstein?

Dickenheimer?

:dunno:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;4057787]Dickberg?

Dickenstein?

Dickenheimer?

:dunno:[/QUOTE]

Dickman
    Dickwad
    Dickawitz

[QUOTE=LockeJET;4057841]Dickman
    Dickwad
    Dickawitz[/QUOTE]

Dickwartz, perhaps?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;4057842]Dickwartz, perhaps?[/QUOTE]

DickCurl?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4057776]I hope you didn't lose anything else in that big dust storm.[/QUOTE]

An hour with the broom and a hose this morning wasn't fun.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;4057787]Dickberg?

Dickenstein?

Dickenheimer?

:dunno:[/QUOTE]

Woodhead?

Smallwood?

Woodcock?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;4057842]Dickwartz, perhaps?[/QUOTE]

Dickcharge?

cablevision is coming out with an ap where you can watch all the shows on your home tv for free.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=ChadOwnsBrady;4057433]Thanks isired, I had no idea. So even a Galaxy or Xoom wouldn't be able to get Flash?

My big want would be to be able to watch TV shows on it. Any advice excluding buying the iTunes episodes?[/QUOTE]

No, you WOULD get flash but hulu would be blocked.

Not sure if I agree with SAR re: flash on a mobile - and I know apple doesn't (i.e., data and user experience are not why ipads don't have flash yet). I don't think it's a dealbreaker, but when I'm surfing around for info or entertainment, and i do that increasingly more on my mobile device, there's nothing I hate more than to have that interrupted, as with the occasional 'your flash should be updated', etc. That said, it's not going to be an issue most of the time, most corporate our informational sites have been going away from flash for years, so you're really only going to run into it when there's a site that either requires or prefers that functionality, like games, videos, etc.

And I do agree with SAR that for the show you 'need' to see, 1.99 is a pretty far convenience fee. Also look st sops like HBOtoGo, ESPN, Discovery channel, TV.com, etc. that show video content.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=Alkrotraz;4057889]cablevision is coming out with an ap where you can watch all the shows on your home tv for free.[/QUOTE]

....right. But did you read the fine print?

If you did, you'd see that you can use it in your home when you're on your home wi-fi network. You can't stream your shows on a train using Verizon or AT&T's 3G network which is what everyone would love to do.

Until then, you pay your whopping $1.99, you download last week's episode of The Bachelorette, and you move on with your life.

SAR I