Thread: Holy crap...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Holy crap...

spin away, I'd like to hear it

[URL]http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gawker/2011/07/0706_whchart.jpg[/URL]

[IMG]http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gawker/2011/07/0706_whchart.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    What? You mean you don't get a 20% annual salary increase? I thought EVERYONE did!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    In fairness, alot of those positions seem quite under-paid for the responsabillities involved.

Director of the Travel Office making 45K? Um, lol?

Apart from the various Propaganda Office folks on the list (seriously, wow at some of them), a number of these jobs are the types I'd expect to make 200K or therabouts.

I have remarkably little bitter about this list tho, tbh. I'm betting many of us make more than quite a few folks on this lists 2010 salaries, with a debatable amount of responsabillity/workload vs. them.

Ugh, defending Govt pay just hurts.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4057996]In fairness, alot of those positions seem quite under-paid for the responsabillities involved.

Director of the Travel Office making 45K? Um, lol?

Apart from the various Propaganda Office folks on the list (seriously, wow at some of them), a number of these jobs are the types I'd expect to make 200K or therabouts.

I have remarkably little bitter about this list tho, tbh. I'm betting many of us make more than quite a few folks on this lists 2010 salaries, with a debatable amount of responsabillity/workload vs. them.

[B]Ugh, defending Govt pay just hurts[/B].[/QUOTE]

exactly, as it is coming out of your paycheck.

That being said, what exactly does the Director of African-american Media do? I assume it is more than a liaison to Ebony and Jet magazines, if they still exist...and what could he do that warrants an 86% increase in pay?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    On the other hand, that Deputy Director of Scheduling really earned her boost. Have you ever tried to arrange tee times on some of these courses?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4057986]spin away, I'd like to hear it [/QUOTE]

They must have unionized.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some are clearly better off than they were 4 years ago.

Good for them.

That Deputy Director must be a really important guy.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the Special Assistant to the President for Economic Policy has definitely earned the right to double his salary.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4057999]exactly, as it is coming out of your paycheck.[/QUOTE]

Well, hence my comment of "Propaganda" positions.

But I stick with my post, many o fthose listed I have no issue with their post-raise salary point, given their jobs.

You should check what the average Police Chief, School Principal/Administrator, or any number fo departmental drones make, then see if these folks are over/under paid compared to them. Then check the titles/responsabillities, and see if the private sector equivalents are paid more/less.

/shrug

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4058012]Well, hence my comment of "Propaganda" positions.

But I stick with my post, many o fthose listed I have no issue with their post-raise salary point, given their jobs.

You should check what the average Police Chief, School Principal/Administrator, or any number fo departmental drones make, then see if these folks are over/under paid compared to them. Then check the titles/responsabillities, and see if the private sector equivalents are paid more/less.

/shrug[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Then HEADLINE jobs are sexy, but the average public employee, retiring at 55, costs this country or municipality in excess of 2 million dollars AFTER retirement. JUST MIND BOGGLING and if younask them...they earned it. YET no other company can do it without going bankrupt.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4057999]exactly, as it is coming out of your paycheck.

That being said, what exactly does the Director of African-american Media do? I assume it is more than a liaison to Ebony and Jet magazines, if they still exist...and what could he do that warrants an 86% increase in pay?[/QUOTE]
    He spins for KING Magazine. :cool:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4058018]but the average public employee, retiring at 55[/quote]

For the record, I know many Federal, State and Local Govt. workers, and none of them have/can retire at 55. Most had to put in a certain number of years (usually 30-35) in whatever system they were paying into.

[quote]....costs this country or municipality in excess of 2 million dollars AFTER retirement. JUST MIND BOGGLING and if younask them...they earned it.[/QUOTE]

Thats because they did.

This is where your logic and outrage fails. These employees/retirees took a job, and that job came with a very specific benefits package. They worked teh job, served the years, and finished their time. Thats called earning whatever benefit meeting those criteria provide.

You or I may hate X aspect that these employees are offered as part of their public emply, but that policy-based issue does not invalidate that the employees took a job, a job with a certain package of bennies, they met the criteria, and are now enjoying the rewards of having done so.

TLDR: Don't hate the player, hate the game. The problem (assuming there is one) is one of policy, not one of current retirees somehow getting more than they earned. Change the policy going forward if it's objectionable (and I agree in some cases it clearly is).

But to imply a Govt. worker who put in 35 years based on X, should now have X taken away from him....is an idea I am so vehemently against I cannot even put it into words. You do not break contracts after the fact, period. Not in the private sector (barring bankruptcy) and never in the public sector (as rhetoric aside, there is no public bankruptcy).

Double Super TLDR: If you hire me at $5.00/hour, I work an hour, then you tell me "sorry, was a tough day, I can only pay you $2.00, my reaction (and it's the right one) is to punch you in the face, repeatedly. I earned that $5.00, period. Welching after the fact is bad business no matter how you slice it.
    Last edited by Warfish; 07-06-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4058018]...the average public employee, retiring at 55, costs this country or municipality in excess of 2 million dollars AFTER retirement....[/QUOTE]

Link.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4058025]Link.[/QUOTE]

Google retirement income calculator and use vanguards or t rowe price or ANY basic finance tool can demonstrate this EASILY.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4058030]Google retirement income calculator and use vanguards or t rowe price or ANY basic finance tool can demonstrate this EASILY.[/QUOTE]

Link. Not your use this calculator rubbish. A link. It should be fairly easy....as you live, eat, breath, sleep outrage for policeman, teachers, fireman and sanitation workers.

I Googled "public workers make a gazillion billion hundred quadrillion dollars every 5 mins after retirement" and all it is is links to your posts on this site....
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 07-06-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4058032]Link. Not your use this calculator rubbish. A link. It should be fairly easy....as you live, eat, breath, sleep outrage for policeman, teachers, fireman and sanitation workers.

I Googled "public workers make a gazillion billion hundred quadrillion dollars every 5 mins after retirement" and all it is is links to your posts on this site....[/QUOTE]

For the sake of time, we of of course we need GOOD people in govt. Govt by its own design grows. NAme ONE agency that had significant reductions. Management justifIes it's existence by MORE people.

Govt. should pay well enough to be equal to similar private sector jobs. No private sector jobs have packages like government.

the math is very easy.... A 55 year old to live to 85 (some more some less)with a pension of 50k, adjusted for inflation with healthcare would need in excess of 2 mil to guarantee safety.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4058051]For the sake of time, we of of course we need GOOD people in govt. Govt by its own design grows. NAme ONE agency that had significant reductions. Management justifIes it's existence by MORE people.

Govt. should pay well enough to be equal to similar private sector jobs. No private sector jobs have packages like government.

the math is very easy.... A 55 year old to live to 85 (some more some less)with a pension of 50k, adjusted for inflation with healthcare would need in excess of 2 mil to guarantee safety.[/QUOTE]

My agency has cut significantly over the past two fiscal years, both in spending and through the dangerous practice of not hiring after losses through attrition.

The average life expectancy of the American male (for argument's sake) is ~76 years. The average for a retired cop or correction officer in NYC is ~53 years old.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4058051]the math is very easy.... A 55 year old to live to 85 (some more some less)with a pension of 50k, adjusted for inflation with healthcare would need in excess of 2 mil to guarantee safety.[/QUOTE]

Except we all know that's not how pensions work. The pension money a worker receives comes from a lifetime of deferred compensation that is "supposed" to be invested in pools where the money earns money while the worker is employed. Some pensions have employer matching contributions.

How this money is invested, borrowed and unfunded by the state is a WHOLE other topic...and a worthy topic at that.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's interesting that the Senior Legislative Affairs Advisor only makes $80k, compared to the $130k the Director of Scheduling rakes in.

Maybe that's why Obama's relations with Congress suck.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4058073]Except we all know that's not how pensions work. The pension money a worker receives comes from a lifetime of deferred compensation that is "supposed" to be invested in pools where the money earns money while the worker is employed. Some pensions have employer matching contributions.

How this money is invested, borrowed and unfunded by the state is a WHOLE other topic...and a worthy topic at that.[/QUOTE]

OK....we'll leave the finance part to the plumbers:rolleyes: and totally discount a CPA CFP position.

The investment returns are the issue. regardless of HOW the money is invested...it would need to grow to 2 million on retirement date.