Thread: Midtown West Bars/Clubs

Midtown West Bars/Clubs

Looking for some tips on good spots to go out in Midtown West for 6 22-23 year olds (3 dudes, 3 chicks). Since I've been of legal drinking age (about 2 years ago), I primarily go out on the Upper East Side, because I have a couple friends with an apartment up there, or stay on my side of the river and go out in Hoboken. I'm meeting up with some friends on 10th Ave. on Saturday. Other than a couple places, I've never really went out drinking in this part of the city. Not looking to dish out a lot of money for cab fare so any suggestions on places within reasonable walking distance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hall Of Fame
    You're young so I'll give a pass on hanging out on the Upper East Side. But you won't find much in Midtown West either. Mostly tourist traps.

I've done the bar scene for a long time and trust me on this: the best places to go (even for a guy your age), whether it is for a mellow night out with your friends, a raucous night of debauchery or you're just looking to meet some girls, stay out of those areas.

Go to West Village and East Village haunts (but stay out of the middle NYU area). If you must go above 14th street, then Hell's Kitchen has some really cool places. Search these neighborhoods - they have something for everyone and you will find something that suits your comforts. Much cooler crowds than the dooshiness of the Upper East. That neighborhood has no personality whatsoever in its architectire, layout or even its people.

Hall Of Fame
    Oh and who takes cabs? Get a friggin MetroCard and learn the subway system.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4058234]You're young so I'll give a pass on hanging out on the Upper East Side. But you won't find much in Midtown West either. Mostly tourist traps.

I've done the bar scene for a long time and trust me on this: the best places to go (even for a guy your age), whether it is for a mellow night out with your friends, a raucous night of debauchery or you're just looking to meet some girls, stay out of those areas.

Go to West Village and East Village haunts (but stay out of the middle NYU area). If you must go above 14th street, then Hell's Kitchen has some really cool places. Search these neighborhoods - they have something for everyone and you will find something that suits your comforts. Much cooler crowds than the dooshiness of the Upper East. That neighborhood has no personality whatsoever in its architectire, layout or even its people.[/QUOTE]

Midtown West actually has some good places, but I would agree that East Village is the best place to be for all kinds of bars. But there are so many different kinds of bars, that it's hard to recommend places, a big thing right now is the "speakeasy" style of bars where the bartenders make intricate cocktails.

One recommendation I would have is [url]http://www.barcelonabarnyc.com/[/url]. It's a silly shots bar, but they have all kinds of crazy shots with varying amounts of alcohol, it can be a lot of fun for a group.
    Last edited by Batmans A Scientist; 07-07-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;4058240]Midtown West actually has some good places, but I would agree that East Village is the best place to be for all kinds of bars. But there are so many different kinds of bars, that it's hard to recommend places, a big thing right now is the "speakeasy" style of bars [B]where the bartenders make intricate cocktails. [/B]

One recommendation I would have is [url]http://www.barcelonabarnyc.com/[/url]. It's a silly shots bar, but they have all kinds of crazy shots with varying amounts of alcohol, it can be a lot of fun for a group.[/QUOTE]

Eh, the mixology places are a fun gimmick to do for one drink (Death and Co. being the best one IMO). Especially since they're $12-14 per drink. When you're 22-23 there's no need for that. The days of the hotshot new money Wall St kid are over. Better off finding a good whiskey or beer bar where you can still grab drinks for 3 or 4 bucks.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;4058240]Midtown West actually has some good places, but I would agree that East Village is the best place to be for all kinds of bars. But there are so many different kinds of bars, that it's hard to recommend places, a big thing right now is the "speakeasy" style of bars where the bartenders make intricate cocktails.

One recommendation I would have is [url][B]http://www.barcelonabarnyc.com[/B]/[/url]. It's a silly shots bar, but they have all kinds of crazy shots with varying amounts of alcohol, it can be a lot of fun for a group.[/QUOTE]

Mahoney said this restaurant has the best salad bar in town.

Hall Of Fame
    Have you considered riding around and window-shopping for upscale kitchen appliances?

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4058234]You're young so I'll give a pass on hanging out on the Upper East Side. But you won't find much in Midtown West either. Mostly tourist traps.

Go to West Village and East Village haunts (but stay out of the middle NYU area). If you must go above 14th street, then Hell's Kitchen has some really cool places. Search these neighborhoods - they have something for everyone and you will find something that suits your comforts. Much cooler crowds than the dooshiness of the Upper East. That neighborhood has no personality whatsoever in its architectire, layout or even its people.[/QUOTE]

I've been out in the East Village plenty, as well. Definitely prefer it.

I really never have a reason to go into midtown, other than MSG, so I don't know any good nightlife options in the area. I strongly dislike Times Square and the touristy **** that goes along with it.

Never done the bar scene there, but I really like the West Village. I'll make sure we head down there.

Thanks.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... can't answer this question until we see a photo of said girls :yes: ...

l_j_r

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4058259]Eh, the mixology places are a fun gimmick to do for one drink (Death and Co. being the best one IMO). Especially since they're $12-14 per drink. When you're 22-23 there's no need for that. The days of the hotshot new money Wall St kid are over. Better off finding a good whiskey or beer bar where you can still grab drinks for 3 or 4 bucks.[/QUOTE]

$3 - $4 drinks are tough. But Blue & Gold on 7th between 1st and 2nd has great cheap drinks. The problem with the EV bars is that they are all packed on the weekend, it's tough to even move around. There are a lot of great Dive-y places along avenue A and B (Sophie's, Lucy's, Manitoba's, 7A, immediately spring to mind). 9th Avenue in general is a good place to go for bars in midtown, there are a lot of bars and restaurants up and down 9th ave between 46th and 57th street.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Midtown West and Hell's Kitchen are essentially the same thing - especially in this context where he is referring to going somewhere near 10th Ave. Just depends on who is doing the describing.

If you want a good beer bar (but also has a full bar) check out Valhalla on 54th and 9th. And right down the block is a really small, but cool bar with an outdoor area called Disiac. Bar 9 is kind of a cool space - at least it used to be.

Unfortunately I don't know where the 23 year olds hang out as I haven't been one for a fairly long time - I haven't even been seeking them out for a long time as well :mad: