Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obama To Unveil Gun Control Reforms In Near Future

All Pro

Obama To Unveil Gun Control Reforms In Near Future

I worry anytime any politician mentions the phrase 'common sense'. It usually translates to 'I know what's better for you than you so bend over'.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_892633.html
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42063945...t-gun-reforms/
    Obama To Unveil Gun Control Reforms In Near Future

Obama calls for agreement on gun reforms - politics - msnbc.com
    WASHINGTON -- Half a year after the shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), the Obama administration is set to release a series of reforms to the current gun law, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said on Thursday.

The reforms, which are being crafted by the Department of Justice, come after a series of meetings with relevant stakeholders in the Second Amendment debate. But in a nod to the difficulties of getting legislation through a Republican-run House of Representatives, only executive orders or administrative actions -- and not an actual bill -- are expected to be handed to Congress.

Administration officials were coy on the specifics, from the reforms the Department of Justice would recommend or when it would actually make those recommendations.

"The president directed the Attorney General to form working groups with key stakeholders to identify common sense measures that would improve American safety and security while fully respecting Second Amendment rights," Carney said at Thursday's briefing. "That process is well underway at the Department of Justice with stakeholders on all sides working through these complex issues and we expect to have more specific announcements in the near future."

Just how near? Carney would only say "not far in the future." Another administration official said weeks would be an appropriate measurement.

When the recommendations do come, it will represent the most comprehensive move on the gun control front from this administration to date. The president has largely punted on the issue since entering the White House, save issuing carefully worded reactions to Supreme Court rulings on local gun laws or bans.

The Giffords shooting had, seemingly, upped the pressure to implement reforms. Obama himself used the occasion to pen an op-ed for the Arizona Daily Star advocating for stronger state-to-state coordination with respect to gun data, expedited background checks and greater enforcement of the laws already on the books. The Department of Justice meetings commenced not too long later and have continued over the course of several months, according to an administration official. They are now finished.

The end result, one source close to the discussions said, was a package of reforms "not huge in scope." They are largely expected to mirror the topics covered in the president's op-ed. Gun control advocates have pushed for more, including legislation that would limit the size of magazines -- such as the 32-round clip that Giffords' shooter used -- or a bill that would force private sellers to conduct background checks at gun shows -- which was pushed in the wake of the Virginia Tech shooting.

Hall Of Fame
    When I see a leader, especially a minority leader tell it's young minority men they are dooshbags for being gang bangers , then I will feel the right approach is coming.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    You know what I found pretty funny?

Obama using "holding a gun to the head of the American People" as part of his talking points on the Debt Limit/Budget Crisis.

Sarah Palin's Target Markers, NO!

B.H.Obama sayig Repubs are "holding a gun to the heads" of Americans, A-OK!

That the civility I've come to expect of the great man! Nice work!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

What?????????????

All Pro
    You know what I found pretty funny?

Obama using "holding a gun to the head of the American People" as part of his talking points on the Debt Limit/Budget Crisis.

Sarah Palin's Target Markers, NO!

B.H.Obama sayig Repubs are "holding a gun to the heads" of Americans, A-OK!

maybe the greater issue might be whether or not further gun control regulations are necessary or right and exactly what regulations is he proposing.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm shocked the Rightwing has stated since he won the primaries "He's going to take your guns!!!!".

http://factcheck.org/2008/12/obamas-gun-ban/

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post

maybe the greater issue might be whether or not further gun control regulations are necessary or right and exactly what regulations is he proposing.
    Wait, so when it's convenient for political gain, the "issue" is violent rhetoric from the evil gun-toting right-wingers.

But when it's inconvenient, like whenever Obama opens his mouth, then the issue is something else.

"Guns to the heads of American Citizens", B.H.Obama
    Gotcha.

I'd love to judge the "issue" as you sau, gun control, but as there is no actual plan as yet, just word Obama might consider putting forth a plan (kinda like he considered putting forth a budget), I'll have to withhold judgement till we actually see his plan.

I could certainly see some space for restrictions/regulations. But till there is plan, no point is discussing it really.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    I'm shocked the Rightwing has stated since he won the primaries "He's going to take your guns!!!!".

http://factcheck.org/2008/12/obamas-gun-ban/
    =================================================

There was quite a stir when Obama was a elected and gun prices went through the roof, ammo disapered from store shelves due to hoarding.

The fact is Obama has done nothing but strengthen gun rights, as proved by the fact under his watch we are now allowed to carry in national parks.

I think if there was something O could do to make the background checks quicker, that would be nice.

All Pro
    Wait, so when it's convenient for political gain, the "issue" is violent rhetoric from the evil gun-toting right-wingers.

But when it's inconvenient, like whenever Obama opens his mouth, then the issue is something else.

Gotcha.

I'd love to judge the "issue" as you sau, gun control, but as there is no actual plan as yet, just word Obama might consider putting forth a plan (kinda like he considered putting forth a budget), I'll have to withhold judgement till we actually see his plan.

I could certainly see some space for restrictions/regulations. But till there is plan, no point is discussing it really.
    ===========================================

I wonder what further restrictions or regulations are needed that have not already been addressed under the 20,000 some gun laws already on the books.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post

Agreed. let's establish the federal anti gun department. each state can have the state equivalent, empowered to work with the Feds. We can unionize them, give them full federal benefits and problem solved. Oh wait...in a few years, when NOTHING changes , we can blame it on lack of funding. Perhaps union leaders from the NEA can assist in setting it all up.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    ===========================================

I wonder what further restrictions or regulations are needed that have not already been addressed under the 20,000 some gun laws already on the books.
    Well, part of the problem is 20,000 guns Laws that could (I have no doubt) do more good as 100 GOOD, unified Laws.

But I would say some of the loopholes of purchases at Gun Shows is one area I could support. Although I AM in the market for some Gun Show Gusn myself in the not too distant future (WWII stuff).

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Agreed. let's establish the federal anti gun department. each state can have the state equivalent, empowered to work with the Feds. We can unionize them, give them full federal benefits and problem solved. Oh wait...in a few years, when NOTHING changes , we can blame it on lack of funding. Perhaps union leaders from the NEA can assist in setting it all up.
    Better hope that doesn't happen, the "Dorks (CPA's) shouldn't have guns" law will be enacted!!!!

All Pro
    The gun show loop hole is a red herring, maybe 5 states in the US still allow the gun shows to sale with out back ground checks. Most state due allow face to face private sales between residents of the same state that are otherwise legal to own a gun.

I like the idea of condensing the existing gun laws to clear up so much of the confusion.

I covet a M1 Garrand.

Hall Of Fame
    I bet if the Bears sign Plaxico, this all goes away immediately

All Pro
    Better get more ammo and maybe a few new guns now too. The bill of rights is under attack from all sides, one piece at a time.

It is not the sane folks that have guns who do these crazy things.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Better get more ammo and maybe a few new guns now too. The bill of rights is under attack from all sides, one piece at a time.

It is not the sane folks that have guns who do these crazy things.
    I do not think you know what you are talking about, at all.

JetsFan2012
    I don't think the gun laws here in NJ can get any more strict.

Also, Eric Holder seems to be one of the most unsure, inept Attorney Generals in history. I'm not optimistic about this.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    I do not think you know what you are talking about, at all.
    Let's see, Obama arms Mexican Drug Lords and disarms American Citizens and I don't know what I am talking about?

The Bill of Rights is under attack again by the Police State Mentality of the pols running this nation. Let them limit your rights and freedoms of you choose to do so.

I choose another route. I will continue to use my rights as an American

All Pro

States rights issue, not federal.
    If NY and NJ etc. want tough laws, let the people through their legislators decide that. It is not happening in the South. Or even Pennsylvania for that matter.
    What's next? Age for driver's licenses? Age of consent? Perhaps Obama could spend more time worrying about the budget and jobs. Unemployment at 9.2%. + 18% from GWB, No new jobs. Can't keep blaming George for BHO's incompetence.