Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to Long Island *****es

Going to Long Island *****es

Could not resist. Anyway. We will be there for the Hofstra lacrosse tourney this weekend. While I lived in Hicksville and moved to NC from Levittown it was 15 years ago. I am looking for good food. Particularly a deli. A real freggin deli, not a Jersey Mikes or Subway bull****. Also a good place for dinner. Keep in mind I will be with a bunch of people who do not know the island or NY so I do not want to travel to far for the LI Marriott if I do not have to. I was told recently that the place across from the park that used to be Fuk yu dia or something like that turned into a decent Italian place. Anyone know?
    How bad is Roosevelt field now a days? was the chit when we left.

I hope your bus doesn't break down on the way out there.

[QUOTE=victor roget;4060293]I hope your bus doesn't break down on the way out there.[/QUOTE]

Wah?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=TKasper01;4060287]Could not resist. Anyway. We will be there for the Hofstra lacrosse tourney this weekend. While I lived in Hicksville and moved to NC from Levittown it was 15 years ago. I am looking for good food. Particularly a deli. A real freggin deli, not a Jersey Mikes or Subway bull****. Also a good place for dinner. Keep in mind I will be with a bunch of people who do not know the island or NY so I do not want to travel to far for the LI Marriott if I do not have to. I was told recently that the place across from the park that used to be Fuk yu dia or something like that turned into a decent Italian place. Anyone know?
    How bad is Roosevelt field now a days? was the chit when we left.[/QUOTE]

I grew up in East Williston, but now I'll only venture back to the Island for weddings and funerals.

Haven't eaten out there for years. Sorry, enjoy the tourney--my sopne's teammates are playing in it, but he's at a Lax Goalie camp and couldn't play.

_

[QUOTE=JStokes;4060308]I grew up in East Williston, but now I'll only venture back to the Island for [B]weddings and funerals[/B].

Haven't eaten out there for years. Sorry, enjoy the tourney--my sopne's teammates are playing in it, but he's at a Lax Goalie camp and couldn't play.

_[/QUOTE]

Only if I like/liked them. Been 6 years since my last trip back. I fly my kids up every summer for a few weeks so they know the family.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=TKasper01;4060309][B]Only if I like/liked them[/B]. Been 6 years since my last trip back. I fly my kids up every summer for a few weeks so they know the family.[/QUOTE]

I meant to say that :D

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Old Country Road is not too far from Hofstra, the Roosevelt Field area, there used to be a ton of branch type restaurants there...I was out there for a tourney 2 weeks ago, there is a quickie burito place accross the street (Stuart Stadium side) that was pretty good and had coronas! Of course I can't remember the name.

You probably won't have time for fine dining with a lax tournament.

btw you will be at the old Jets training camp site

Jets Insider VIP
    MYYYYYY ISLAND!!

[IMG]http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/2860/183914-vlcsnap_2010_05_16_21h56m39s78_super.jpg[/IMG]

I like Baci's on Old Country Road but there is everything there..PF Changs..Olive Garden, Cheesecake Factory..Ruby Tuesdays.

Hall Of Fame
    Actually, there's a Vincent's Clam Bar on Old Country Road--I think it's owned by the same family that owns the original Vincent's Restaurant in Little Italy--but I haven't been there in over a decade.

Pretty good fried calamari with Vincent's hot marinara.

_

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JStokes;4060561]Actually, there's a Vincent's Clam Bar on Old Country Road--I think it's owned by the same family that owns the original Vincent's Restaurant in Little Italy--but I haven't been there in over a decade.

_[/QUOTE]

I've eaten at both the Vincent's in Little Italy and the one on Old Country Road -- and the LI version is FAR superior. Shockingly so.

Good eats. Especially if you like your Italian food with a bit of heat to it. The medium marinara sauce is HOT by most standards. The Hot marinara sauce is suicidal...

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;4060572]I've eaten at both the Vincent's in Little Italy and the one on Old Country Road -- and the LI version is FAR superior. Shockingly so.

Good eats. Especially if you like your Italian food with a bit of heat to it. [B]The medium marinara sauce is HOT by most standards. The Hot marinara sauce is suicidal[/B]...[/QUOTE]

It's bottled now. They sell it in most major supermarkets.

Yeah, haven't been to the one in Little Italy in a while either, but the last time I was there I was really underwhelmed.

Used to be one in Glen Cove we used to go to all the time, but I think it closed a long long time ago.

_

If you want fine northern Italian cuisine and don't mind paying for it go to Giulio Cesare Ristorante at 18 Ellison Ave., immediately north of the corner of Old Country Rd in Westbury. 516-334-2982. As its close to the Coliseum, it seems that every NHL star has stopped there at one time or another, judging from the pictures on the wall. Get the Osso Bucco. Absolutely amazing.

[url]http://www.zagat.com/r/giulio-cesare-ristorante-westbury[/url]

Coliseum Deli is on Hempstead Tpke in the Hofstra area and is decent, if not the greatest. I prefer Village Heroes on Jericho Tpke in Syosset but that might be a little out of the way from Hofstra (about 15-20 mns away). But if you want huge overstuffed sandwiches, hot or cold, then its the place to go. Closed on Sunday though. HTH.
    Last edited by nyahay bus; 07-12-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Tennessee Jed's BBQ on Merrick Road in Wantaugh is great as well. Probably 10 mns away from the Marriott.

[url]http://www.tennesseejeds.li/[/url]

[QUOTE=nyahay bus;4060617]Tennessee Jed's BBQ on Merrick Road in Wantaugh is great as well. Probably 10 mns away from the Marriott.

[url]http://www.tennesseejeds.li/[/url][/QUOTE]

Just a hunch, but it seems to me like a lot more can go wrong than right by sending NC people to BBQ while on Long Island. Guilio Cesare is right up there with any Italian restaurant in the country. But I've only eaten great dinners there, don't know what their story is during the day. Sandwiches to go - if they do that - would be the call. Getting hungry thinking about the possibilities.
    Last edited by sackdance; 07-12-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Figarelly's on East Meadow ave, about 1/2 mile south of Hempstead Tpke is a terrific LI delicatessan.

I go there a few times a year. GREAT breakfast sandwiches, great lunch.

Take out only.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 07-12-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=sackdance;4060621][B]Just a hunch, but it seems to me like a lot more can go wrong than right by sending NC people to BBQ while on Long Island. [/B] Guilio Cesare is right up there with any Italian restaurant in the country. But I've only eaten great dinners there, don't know what their story is during the day. Sandwiches to go - if they do that - would be the call. Getting hungry thinking about the possibilities.[/QUOTE]

Well, I wouldn't do it simply because they have plenty of bbq back home, but I'm not sure your sentiment holds true anymore. Over the past 10 years or so, bbq has become huge and there are places popping up all over the place. There are many bbq spots in NYC that are very good and can hold their own with places in KC, Carolina, Memphis and Texas (or at least come very close). The difference being that they don't limit themselves to simply one style of bbq, like the others do - rather they can have texas brisket, memphis ribs and carolina pulled pork all in the same place, because they don't have to hold true to tradition.

Of course, you'll probably pay double for it, but its very good.

[QUOTE=jetswin;4060447]Old Country Road is not too far from Hofstra, the Roosevelt Field area, there used to be a ton of branch type restaurants there...I was out there for a tourney 2 weeks ago, there is a quickie burito place accross the street (Stuart Stadium side) that was pretty good and had coronas! Of course I can't remember the name.

You probably won't have time for fine dining with a lax tournament.

btw you will be at the old Jets training camp site[/QUOTE]

I will be the only one there wearing a Jets shirt everyday and thinking of watching Klecko, Lyons and Salaam practice out there with the rest of the guys. I used to live in Hicksville so we went all the time.

[QUOTE=gqxluvx;4060500]I like Baci's on Old Country Road but there is everything there..PF Changs..Olive Garden, Cheesecake Factory..Ruby Tuesdays.[/QUOTE]

Thanks but I will not eat in any of those named places. I want home owned not a chain. It is about all they have here in NC. **** all tastes the same and no one knows how to treat a customer.

[QUOTE=JStokes;4060561]Actually, there's a Vincent's Clam Bar on Old Country Road--I think it's owned by the same family that owns the original Vincent's Restaurant in Little Italy--but I haven't been there in over a decade.

_[/QUOTE]

Fvck I forgot about them. Used to go there when I worked at UPS in Uniondale. God food. Anyone have an update?