Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Losing Interest in Sports Entirely

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm Losing Interest in Sports Entirely

Since I could walk (I'm 18 now), I always had a baseball bat or something in my hand. Along with that came watching sports all the time. My dad was (and is) a big sports fan as well as my older brother.

And recently, my top three sports (baseball, college hoops, football) fail to provide that spark in me at all anymore. 2009 was the last year I cared about baseball, and I watched almost every Yankee game. I enjoyed the hell out of the season too. Until the World Series. It was like a switch was turned off in me. I tried to get up for the games against but just couldn't. I tried to get the same adrenaline flowing through me that I felt during the regular season, but to no avail. That was the first to go. Just like magic, my caring and interest was gone.

Then with college basketball, I stopped caring midway through this past season. I used to get so pumped for Syracuse hoops and March Madness. This year, almost nothing.

And finally, football, the constant that I thought I'd have with me my whole life. The Jets have been such a big part of my life since I began HS and once again, similarly to the other two sports, I find myself not caring. Normally in years past, I'd be doing cartwheels with news of the lockout coming to an end. But this year, it's just "whatever." I would follow JI or other Jets/NFL forums religiously throughout the year. I maybe check JI now once or twice for five minutes throughout the week. And I wasn't even excited about the Draft, which was another thing that I used to love.

I know what you're probably gonna say, "the lockout has made your interest dip." But I don't think so. The same thing is happening with football for me that already happened with MLB/CBB. And I hate it. I miss sitting down on lazy summer nights and watching a good Yankee game. I miss coming to JI and wanting to argue with the trolls and debate between Holmes and Edwards.

What has happened to me? Am I just "outgrowing" my interests? Is this just a phase? I don't even think that makes much sense because most die-hard sports fans stay that for life. Sorry for the long-winded post.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you finding yourself pumped up for things like Sex and the City reruns? You might want to reach out to FF2 via PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your sentiments remind me of this Mark Twain quote -

"Golf is a good walk spoiled."

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Baseball is boring to watch...college hoops sucks to follow now that everyone goes pro after a season...football almost killed the golden goose, I think I'll get back into it now that things will start happening again.

Your normal, don't worry :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    09 Yankees season was great... The entire year. For anyone who followed that team closely, they knew there was no chance of the team losing.

As far as your prob, people change. I've gone through points where I care a bit less or a bit more about sports and teams, but whenever it comes to football and the Jets, it's constant. Especially during the season.

Yankees I go back and forth on. Rangers I'm into right now. Red Bulls I'm very much into. Knicks I got a kick out of last year although I never usually give a ****.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have teh [I]ennui[/I]...You may want to travel to France to have it checked out.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4062381]You have teh [I]ennui[/I]...You may want to travel to France to have it checked out.[/QUOTE]

Just looked it up. Sums up everything perfectly. :yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MCBNY;4062353]Since I could walk (I'm 18 now)[/QUOTE]

Nothings permanent at 18.

You are prolly getting into the things that really count, chicks and your friends, hanging out and having fun. I'd be more worried if you avoided those things to post long winded diatribes regarding Edwards and Holmes from the darkness of your sports bedroom.

You'll come back around when you have a bitter angry wife to avoid.

:eek:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MCBNY;4062386]Just looked it up. Sums up everything perfectly. :yes:[/QUOTE]

<facepalm>

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;4062387]Nothings permanent at 18.

You are prolly getting into the things that really count, chicks and your friends, hanging out and having fun. I'd be more worried if you avoided those things to post long winded diatribes regarding Edwards and Holmes from the darkness of your sports bedroom.

:eek:[/QUOTE]

Good advice from Uncle 32.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    My son is 19, so I'm quite familiar with what's happening. Until 2-3 years ago, there wasn't a Mets or Jets game that he wouldn't watch with me if he had the chance. Then he got his driver's license, started college (local), noticed that hot girls were noticing him, and now I barely see him. I'm glad he's enjoying life, but this too shall pass :D and one day we'll be back watching our teams together again.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Peebag;4062390]<facepalm>[/QUOTE]

NEVER <facepalm> the youth. The karmic retribution is swift, and leaves marks. :cool:

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4062381]You have teh [I]ennui[/I]...You may want to travel to France to have it checked out.[/QUOTE]

His interest in dudes is increasing?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MCBNY;4062353]Since I could walk (I'm 18 now), I always had a baseball bat or something in my hand. Along with that came watching sports all the time. My dad was (and is) a big sports fan as well as my older brother.

And recently, my top three sports (baseball, college hoops, football) fail to provide that spark in me at all anymore. 2009 was the last year I cared about baseball, and I watched almost every Yankee game. I enjoyed the hell out of the season too. Until the World Series. It was like a switch was turned off in me. I tried to get up for the games against but just couldn't. I tried to get the same adrenaline flowing through me that I felt during the regular season, but to no avail. That was the first to go. Just like magic, my caring and interest was gone.

Then with college basketball, I stopped caring midway through this past season. I used to get so pumped for Syracuse hoops and March Madness. This year, almost nothing.

And finally, football, the constant that I thought I'd have with me my whole life. The Jets have been such a big part of my life since I began HS and once again, similarly to the other two sports, I find myself not caring. Normally in years past, I'd be doing cartwheels with news of the lockout coming to an end. But this year, it's just "whatever." I would follow JI or other Jets/NFL forums religiously throughout the year. I maybe check JI now once or twice for five minutes throughout the week. And I wasn't even excited about the Draft, which was another thing that I used to love.

I know what you're probably gonna say, "the lockout has made your interest dip." But I don't think so. The same thing is happening with football for me that already happened with MLB/CBB. And I hate it. I miss sitting down on lazy summer nights and watching a good Yankee game. I miss coming to JI and wanting to argue with the trolls and debate between Holmes and Edwards.

What has happened to me? Am I just "outgrowing" my interests? Is this just a phase? I don't even think that makes much sense because most die-hard sports fans stay that for life. Sorry for the long-winded post.[/QUOTE]

Has your interest in Broadway show tunes increased ????;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]My son is 19, so I'm quite familiar with what's happening. Until 2-3 years ago, there wasn't a Mets or Jets game that he wouldn't watch with me if he had the chance. Then he got his driver's license, started college (local), noticed that hot girls were noticing him, and now I barely see him. I'm glad he's enjoying life, but this too shall pass and one day we'll be back watching our teams together again. [/QUOTE]

This.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're prolly more instersted in getting some pvssy instead of sports.

[QUOTE=32green;4062387]

:eek:[/QUOTE]

Spot on. Ah, the circle of life.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4062427]His interest in dudes is increasing?[/QUOTE]lmao

Wouldn't want that to go critical, now would we? :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Politics forum may light a fire under you;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you considered hobbies like sailing, sock puppets, or a rousing game of "SCISSORS, SCISSORS, WHO GOT THE SCISSORS?!"?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4062565]Have you considered hobbies like sailing, sock puppets, or a rousing game of "SCISSORS, SCISSORS, WHO GOT THE SCISSORS?!"?[/QUOTE]

:mad:

:(

-