Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Karl Rove calls Obama a lying sack of sh*t

[QUOTE=parafly;4063917]You would be wrong. They don't support closing loopholes because in essence it is a tax increase.

The Republicans are so radical at this point they won't even support closed loopholes with lower tax rates.[/QUOTE]

I agree there are a few that might not back closing loopholes without tax cuts. But most would. Some ideological R's have said they wont back a cap raise under any circumstance. But again others would. You are simply too misinformed and misled by the Obama media to know that.

In the meantime the Democrats control the senate and the Presidency. They have put nothing on the table other than rhetoric and class warfare gamesmanship. Please show me ONE Democratic proposal that is on the table. Just one. I have pointed to 4 different R proposals in this thread alone.

Heres another one:

Krauthammer today called for following the Simpson Boyles outline for closing loopholes in exchange for lowered marginal rates : [url]http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20110717/OPINION/110715021/Charles-Krauthammer-GOP-should-call-Obama-s-debt-ceiling-bluff[/url]

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4063885][B]The President offered nothing but tax increases in his "grand bargain".[/B] The Republicans never "had him where they wanted him" because he offered nothing. It is all a sham designed to help his reelection campaign. The campaigner in chief has lived up to his reputation. I repeat that so far the Democrats and the President have offered nothing. They have done a good job of political posturing but the electorate will see right through it.

As for the "nuts" in the house pushing for Bachman, I would suggest letting the primaries play out before making your judgements. I dont see her getting the nod. Perry has the best shot of the not-Romney candidates.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you have bought in the Senate leader’s position that sending up a no vote to give the President the right to increase the debt limit isn't complete capitulation by the leadership of the Republican Party. It is everyone knows it and the Republicans who try and run on this BS will be tarred and feathered by moderate independents with any level of education. The ones that normally get Republicans into the White House.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4063923]
    In the meantime the Democrats control the senate and the Presidency. They have put nothing on the table other than rhetoric and class warfare gamesmanship. Please show me ONE Democratic proposal that is on the table. Just one. I have pointed to 4 different R proposals in this thread alone.

[/QUOTE]

there wasn't anything on paper but rumor has it the President offered 3 dollars in spending cuts for 1 dollar in tax revenue. it could have been the biggest spending cut in the history of the country. and the GOP balked.

they aren't acting like adults.

[QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;4063916]If they do, I feel you'll make a patsfanken type exit from the Poli forum...[/QUOTE]

i stuck through 8 years of Bush, you ain't getting rid of me that easily

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4063938]there wasn't anything on paper but rumor has it the President offered 3 dollars in spending cuts for 1 dollar in tax revenue. it could have been the biggest spending cut in the history of the country. and the GOP balked.

they aren't acting like adults.[/QUOTE]

Of course. They wanted 4 dollars in spending cuts for every 1 dollar in tax revenue.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4063938]there wasn't anything on paper but rumor has it the President offered 3 dollars in spending cuts for 1 dollar in tax revenue. it could have been the biggest spending cut in the history of the country. and the GOP balked. [/QUOTE]
    And why wouldn't they? BO's word is sh*t and his record is worse.

Why not this deal, $2 in spending cuts and $0 in new taxes?

Absurd spending is the problem. The president will be held accountable and, frankly, is already being held responsible.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4063940]Of course. They wanted 4 dollars in spending cuts for every 1 dollar in tax revenue.[/QUOTE]

Link to specific cuts please. You are posting platitudes. Please show me the Democratic plan that specified 4 dollars in cuts and 1 dollar in revenues.

Hall Of Fame
    Or...we could just make Iraq pay us back.

[QUOTE=sackdance;4063945]And why wouldn't they? BO's word is sh*t and his record is worse.

Why not this deal, $2 in spending cuts and $0 in new taxes?

Absurd spending is the problem. The president will be held accountable and, frankly, is already being held responsible.[/QUOTE]

governing in a democracy is about compromise. not throwing tantrums.

yes one half of the country elected these tea partiers but 70 million people voted for Obama for President. the GOP doesn't have the leverage to make outrageous demands. they don't have a majority in the Senate and they don't control the white house.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4063938]there wasn't anything on paper but rumor has it the President offered 3 dollars in spending cuts for 1 dollar in tax revenue. it could have been the biggest spending cut in the history of the country. and the GOP balked.

they aren't acting like adults.[/QUOTE]

Rumor had it? Oh i didn't realize that a rumor was out there. I take back my earlier argument. Was there also a mystery box? Inside the box were mysterious spending cuts. I did hear something about taxing private jets though. That was pretty specific. Great job not offending anyone with that tax. I guess the Dems were willing to sacrifice the private jet owner vote. They are really looking out for he country there.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4063957]Rumor had it? Oh i didn't realize that a rumor was out there. I take back my earlier argument. Was there also a mystery box? Inside the box were mysterious spending cuts. I did hear something about taxing private jets though. That was pretty specific. Great job not offending anyone with that tax. I guess the Dems were willing to sacrifice the private jet owner vote. They are really looking out for he country there.[/QUOTE]

Again all the Republicans had to do was agee to the 3/1 ratio and ask the President for his plan for the cuts the Democrats would support and they would give them their plan for the tax reform which they could have done publicly and totally discredited the left. Instead they just said no new taxes. He completely outmanuvered them they look like children and as you pointed out they had him completely boxed in with a real plan.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4063935]Sounds like you have bought in the Senate leaderís position that sending up a no vote to give the President the right to increase the debt limit isn't complete capitulation by the leadership of the Republican Party. It is everyone knows it and the Republicans who try and run on this BS will be tarred and feathered by moderate independents with any level of education. The ones that normally get Republicans into the White House.[/QUOTE]

I support Cut Cap and Balance but that wont pass. In its place i would support Krauthammer's plan to vote in a 500 billion increase alongside 500b in spending cuts. That buys 5 months to hammer out a better thought out deal.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4063962]Again all the Republicans had to do was agee to the 3/1 ratio and ask the President for his plan for the cuts the Democrats would support and they would give them their plan for the tax reform which they could have done publicly and totally discredited the left. Instead they just said no new taxes. He completely outmanuvered them they look like children and as you pointed out they had him completely boxed in with a real plan.[/QUOTE]

The Republicans should have played better political games then? We voted in the Tea Party freshmen to end Political gamesmanship and actually solve our problems. They have been trying and thwarted at every turn by politics as usual Dems. I think the country will see through Obama's politics as usual gamesmanship here. He has been tumbling in the Polls over the past few weeks.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4063965]The Republicans should have played better political games then? We voted in the Tea Party freshmen to end Political gamesmanship and actually solve our problems. They have been trying and thwarted at every turn by politics as usual Dems. I think the country will see through Obama's politics as usual gamesmanship here. He has been tumbling in the Polls over the past few weeks.[/QUOTE]

The Tea Party will end political gamesmanship? Nope.

[QUOTE=cr726;4063972]The Tea Party will end political gamesmanship? Nope.[/QUOTE]

Do you know what political gamesmanship is?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4063965]We voted in the Tea Party freshmen to end Political gamesmanship and actually solve our problems. [/QUOTE]

Awesome!!

When do they get sworn in and start working?

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4063965]The Republicans should have played better political games then? We voted in the Tea Party freshmen to end Political gamesmanship and actually solve our problems. They have been trying and thwarted at every turn by politics as usual Dems. I think the country will see through Obama's politics as usual gamesmanship here. He has been tumbling in the Polls over the past few weeks.[/QUOTE]

End political gamesmanship? What do you think a balanced budget amendment and signing pledges are all about? It's about limiting the marketplace of ideas to force an ideology onto the entire country. Pledges are all about gamesmanship and ignore the reality of governing.

We don't have a parliamentary system, we govern by consensus building and that means the entire marketplace of ideas has to be considered in order to form consensus. They have been thwarted because they don't have a majority and they shouldn't have a majority because they are outright radicals who want to push a small world view on the entire society through pledging instead of debate.

We have big problems and small solutions that sound nice isn't going to get it done. We need compromise and consensus and that's built by leadership and by working together to change opinion. It's not done by making silly pledges and acting like it's your rules or I'm taking the ball home.

I want a budget deal. I want huge spending cuts and a sane tax code. I want Republican representatives to make the best deal they can. A huge opportunity has been blown by a no tax pledge when the country is in desperate need of a better tax code, more revenue and serious spending cuts.

The fact that the Republicans have shown they can't play the game isn't going to help them come election time. If they blow this deal they deserve to be thrown out. At least call the Presidents bluff and make him put the cuts on the table.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 07-19-2011 at 02:39 PM.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4063939]i stuck through 8 years of Bush, you ain't getting rid of me that easily[/QUOTE]

I didn't really believe it...I just like bringing up Ken's hilarious no show any chance I can...

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4063983]End political gamesmanship? What do you think a balanced budget amendment and signing pledges are all about? It's about limiting the marketplace of ideas to force an ideology onto the entire country. Pledges are all about gamesmanship and ignore the reality of governing.

We don't have a parliamentary system, we govern by consensus building and that means the entire marketplace of ideas has to be considered in order to form consensus. They have been thwarted because they don't have a majority and they shouldn't have a majority because they are outright radicals who want to push a small world view on the entire society through pledging instead of debate.

We have big problems and small solutions that sound nice isn't going to get it done. We need compromise and consensus and that's built by leadership and by working together to change opinion. It's not done by making silly pledges and acting like it's your rules or I'm taking the ball home.

I want a budget deal. I want huge spending cuts and a sane tax code. I want Republican representatives to make the best deal they can. A huge opportunity has been blown by a no tax pledge when the country is in desperate need of a better tax code, more revenue and serious spending cuts.

The fact that the Republicans have shown they can't play the game isn't going to help them come election time. If they blow this deal they deserve to be thrown out. At least call the Presidents bluff and make him put the cuts on the table.[/QUOTE]

Saying what you are going to do and then actually doing it is not gamesmanship. It is straight forward governing. Revenues as a percentage of GDP are on track to be 18.2 percent. The historical average has been 18%. This goes back to 1950. Expenditures as a % of GDP have averaged 19%. Today they are at 24%. We need to spend less to get expenditures back down under 20% of GDP. It is that simple.

I am all for tax code reforms. They should be revenue neutral and simplify the process. That has nothing to do with the current debate. Trying to pass sweeping all encompasing reforms is not possible or even wise in the current environment.

Obamas grand compromise of adding a trillion in new taxes alongside 3 trillion in unnamed unspecific cuts is nothing but posturing for the election. There was never going to be any cuts. The Republicans played the bipartisan agreement game during the Govt shutdown debate earlier this year. In the end they got worked over by the Dems and got nothing. 39Billion in paper cuts that totaled a billion or two once it was vetted that most of the cuts were fake. You are asking them to make the same mistake twice. I disagree.

I agree by the way that it would have been nice to call Obamas bluff and see what cuts he would propose. I suspect however that no plan would have materialized. They would have made the R's suggest cuts and sat back and demagogued them. That's how they operate.

All Pro

ABC/Washington Post poll says quite the opposite. The Republicans are taking a bath on the horns of those idiotic tea baggers and their naive oppositionalism. I think the Tea Baggers are going to suffer the Emperor Has No Clothes phenomenon with their constituents. They don't have a clue about economics, they don't know how to legislate or compromise, and they don't give a damn about taking down their more moderate allies. Oppositionalism and hostage-taking is not governance.