Thread: NFL games are about to get longer and more replay-filled ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

NFL games are about to get longer and more replay-filled ~ ~ ~

> [url]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/NFL-games-are-about-to-get-longer-and-more-repla?urn=nfl-wp3507[/url]

I like the move, better to check and make sure you got it right. Besides, this will lead to more revenue and a higher cap.

This is quite the overreaction.

[QUOTE]If an official rules a score (touchdown, field goal, safety or extra point) during a game, the replay official will automatically review the play. [B]If there is any question as to whether the ruling is correct, they will buzz down to the referee and ask him to come to the monitor to review the play.[/B] [/QUOTE]

It's not like they are going to review every touchdown. If it means the average of 2-4 minutes of reviews a game, so be it, get the call right, especially when it's a scoring play.

It's not like the referee is the one going over to check out the play after every score.

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;4064070]This is quite the overreaction.

It's not like they are going to review every touchdown. If it means the average of 2-4 minutes of reviews a game, so be it, get the call right, especially when it's a scoring play.

It's not like the referee is the one going over to check out the play after every score.[/QUOTE]

The replay guy will review it but until he buzzs the referee no play will be allowed. This IMHO will make games that are already long even longer. This is the NFL over reacting and going too far injecting itself in to the game.

[QUOTE=LI JET FAN;4064077]The replay guy will review it but until he buzzs the referee no play will be allowed. This IMHO will make games that are already long even longer. This is the NFL over reacting and going too far injecting itself in to the game.[/QUOTE]

Ha. I actually meant just the opposite. I think this guys reaction is an overreaction. I don't think the play will be delayed that much. Field Goals and XP's are brought up, but I'm not sure even what would be reviewed (I suppose if the play got off in time) in those cases.

If it's a close play having a radio guy take another look makes total sense to me. This whole "let the referee review the play" is totally asinine. The NFL should do what the NHL does. All the reviews take place off site, there's no reason that a referee should have to go under a hood and take a look, rather than have a review referee take a look.

the bigger problem they need to address is when a call is obviously wrong however "not reviewable"

[QUOTE=JetsCrazey;4064099]the bigger problem they need to address is when a call is obviously wrong however "not reviewable"[/QUOTE]

Simple, make anything review-able. The coaches still only get 2 challenges.

Rookie
    Kind of strikes me as like the NHL approach. Every score will get looked at. There's only an issue on those plays that are close. It'll be transparent to the viewer a good 80% of the time. And if the game takes an extra 5 minutes to play as a result...at least we know they [I]should[/I] get the call right.

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;4064090]Ha. I actually meant just the opposite. I think this guys reaction is an overreaction. I don't think the play will be delayed that much. Field Goals and XP's are brought up, but I'm not sure even what would be reviewed (I suppose if the play got off in time) in those cases.

If it's a close play having a radio guy take another look makes total sense to me. This whole "let the referee review the play" is totally asinine. The NFL should do what the NHL does. All the reviews take place off site, there's no reason that a referee should have to go under a hood and take a look, rather than have a review referee take a look.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that the majority of TDs in this league aren't review-worthy. When a WR or RB breaks away and walks into the endzone, I don't think we'll see another Coors commercial while they review.

If the replay reviewer buzzes down, then that means there was something questionable involved and it's always worth getting the call right. I'm thinking specifically of Demaryius Thomas' TD catch against Revis last year in the Bronco game...maybe that one gets overturned and ruled as the incomplete pass it really was under this scenario.

[QUOTE=GreenWave;4064113]Not to mention that the majority of TDs in this league aren't review-worthy. When a WR or RB breaks away and walks into the endzone, I don't think we'll see another Coors commercial while they review.

If the replay reviewer buzzes down, then that means there was something questionable involved and it's always worth getting the call right. I'm thinking specifically of Demaryius Thomas' TD catch against Revis last year in the Bronco game...maybe that one gets overturned and ruled as the incomplete pass it really was under this scenario.[/QUOTE]

+1
    That article makes it sound like games are going to stretch 15-30 minutes longer because of this; that won't happen. What will happen is a coach won't have to burn a challenge to get an obviously bad call overturned (or not be able to because he had to use them on previous close plays). Good change.

Now if only they'd look at that 'completing the process of a catch' nonsense...

I TiVo all the games I watch anyway and usually wait 20 min to start watching ... Then skip commercials ... Definitely TiVo halftime to allow me to skip commercials in third quarter.

Don't like it. Looks like a way to squeeze in more commercials.

Jets Insider VIP
    good improvement

it would be better if they removed the TV monitors from the sidelines and had the ref stand there with a headset on his head and wait for somebody else to tell him if he was right or wrong as they do in college and in the NHL

having the guy that screwed up the call in the first place be the one to review the call has never made sense

[QUOTE=sg3;4064205]good improvement

it would be better if they removed the TV monitors from the sidelines and had the ref stand there with a headset on his head and wait for somebody else to tell him if he was right or wrong as they do in college and in the NHL

having the guy that screwed up the call in the first place be the one to review the call has never made sense[/QUOTE]

agreed .. just have a ref in the replay booth .. done.

All Pro
    I like it, no chance in losing on a questionable call.