Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ryan Disects the Gang of 6 Plan

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4064980]No like George Bush Sr. who lost the Presidency because he did the right thing to get our fiscal house in order and it cost him his presidency because of his stupid no new tax pledge [/QUOTE]

H.W. Lacked the charisma of Bill Clinton. that's why he lost. the dude was on Arsinio playing the sax. general election voters don't vote on policy they vote on personality.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4065074]H.W. Lacked the charisma of Bill Clinton. that's why he lost. the dude was on Arsinio playing the sax. general election voters don't vote on policy they vote on personality.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you were maybe ten. The Sax playing dude got 44% of the vote. He ran millions of dollars worth of ads with Bush's read my lips no new taxes and the Conservative Republicans went with Perot who got 19% of the vote.

Bill Clinton was elected by the liberal wing of the Democratic party. Bush was abandoned by the Republicans because of taxes. This is the prime reason many moderate Republicans are unwilling to compromise on taxes.

Cool young people who vote based on the Sax apparently only vote in numbers for change. General election voters don't change unless the economy is scaring the crap out of them and Clinton did a good job of linking Bush's tax increase to job losses.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4065105]I
    Cool young people who vote based on the Sax apparently only vote in numbers for change. [/QUOTE]

I was a teenager. and it wasn't the young people thinking Sax was cool (that was cool in the 1940's) it was housewives who had a crush.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4065074]H.W. Lacked the charisma of Bill Clinton. that's why he lost. the dude was on Arsinio playing the sax. general election voters don't vote on policy they vote on personality.[/QUOTE]

As I mentioned earlier HW lost because Perot got 18% of the vote that year. Most of them Republicans and right leaning independents.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4065116]I was a teenager. and it wasn't the young people thinking Sax was cool (that was cool in the 1940's) it was housewives who had a crush.[/QUOTE]

Housewives? We haven't had housewives in this country since the 60's.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4065105]I'm guessing you were maybe ten. The Sax playing dude got 44% of the vote. He ran millions of dollars worth of ads with Bush's read my lips no new taxes and the Conservative Republicans went with Perot who got 19% of the vote.

Bill Clinton was elected by the liberal wing of the Democratic party. Bush was abandoned by the Republicans because of taxes. This is the prime reason many moderate Republicans are unwilling to compromise on taxes.

Cool young people who vote based on the Sax apparently only vote in numbers for change. General election voters don't change unless the economy is scaring the crap out of them and Clinton did a good job of linking Bush's tax increase to job losses.[/QUOTE]

I was in college during Clinton's campaign, when he went on MTV and answered questions from teens and young adults he was masterful.
    Clinton being elected destroyed the GOP way of selecting their Presidential reps, they went away from the men who paid their dues to the likeable guy in Texas. Since then they have floundered and is still evident today. Just look at who they are trying to put up. It's sad and not good for our country, they need to get their acts together.

[QUOTE=cr726;4065138]I was in college during Clinton's campaign, when he went on MTV and answered questions from teens and young adults he was masterful.
    Clinton being elected destroyed the GOP way of selecting their Presidential reps, they went away from the men who paid their dues to the likeable guy in Texas. Since then they have floundered and is still evident today. Just look at who they are trying to put up. It's sad and not good for our country, they need to get their acts together.[/QUOTE]

It is sad but on the other hand the Democrats ran Gore, Heinz and Obama. Think about it Gore over Bradley and Obama over Clinton. The Republicans aren't the only ones who are putting up second rate candidates.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4065182]It is sad but on the other hand the Democrats ran Gore, Heinz and Obama. Think about it Gore over Bradley and Obama over Clinton. The Republicans aren't the only ones who are putting up second rate candidates.[/QUOTE]

Good point, I agree and that shows how poorly the GOP's candidates have been.