Thread: Root Canal on a 4 year old

Root Canal on a 4 year old

My 4 year old daughter has cavities worse then we thought. Although we stress brushing twice a day, it's useless without flossing. The dentist said one of the problems is my daughters teeth are so close to each other, it may not be possible. We don't give her junk food, candy, or juices with sugar. Nonetheless, yesterdays visit made both my wife and I cry last night.

Turns out, she needs to have a molar removed, and 3 other teeth need child root canal.

W T F?

I can't picture my daughter having a tooth pulled at such a young age. I've had 2 pulled when I was in my 20's and that SUCKED. I've even had root canal on those teeth before they eventually just broke and have to be removed.

So parents, have you had to go through this at such an early age for a child?

My wife and I feel guilty, but the dentist assures us that sometimes it's unpreventable and we shouldn't feel guilty.

[QUOTE=LIDeadHead;4064520]My 4 year old daughter has cavities worse then we thought. Although we stress brushing twice a day, it's useless without flossing. The dentist said one of the problems is my daughters teeth are so close to each other, it may not be possible. We don't give her junk food, candy, or juices with sugar. Nonetheless, yesterdays visit made both my wife and I cry last night.

Turns out, she needs to have a molar removed, and 3 other teeth need child root canal.

W T F?

I can't picture my daughter having a tooth pulled at such a young age. I've had 2 pulled when I was in my 20's and that SUCKED. I've even had root canal on those teeth before they eventually just broke and have to be removed.

My wife and I feel guilty, but the dentist assures us that sometimes it's unpreventable and we shouldn't feel guilty.[/QUOTE]

my 6 yr old just had 6 cavities filled within the last year in a few visits... too many gummy snacks. It was not much of a problem. The painkillers worked fine.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=LIDeadHead;4064520]My 4 year old daughter has cavities worse then we thought. Although we stress brushing twice a day, it's useless without flossing. The dentist said one of the problems is my daughters teeth are so close to each other, it may not be possible. We don't give her junk food, candy, or juices with sugar. Nonetheless, yesterdays visit made both my wife and I cry last night.

W T F?

My wife and I feel guilty, but the dentist assures us that sometimes it's unpreventable and we shouldn't feel guilty.[/QUOTE]

Two words for you: Second Opinion.

SAR I

[QUOTE=SAR I;4064545]Two words for you: Second Opinion.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

+1

All League
    Maybe even a third

Guess I'm skeptical person. My dentist recommended a root canal for my sons baby tooth. Got the second opinion and the next dentist said to let the tooth eventually fall out on it's own unless the tooth becomes painful.

Picked up my family's records the next day and never went back. This was 4 years ago and I'm much happier with our new dentist.

So yes, get the second opinion. X10.

It kind of is. My daughter will not cooperate with xraying her rear teeth. The dentists that we took her too, said visually, she has cavities. This dentist got the job done by gassing her with cotton candy scented sweet air. i dont even want to begin thinking about that damn Novocaine needle.