Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: A thimble could easily contain

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

A thimble could easily contain

my knowledge of soccer. I have an aquaintance who plays for Santa Clara in the Portugal league. Igor Kojic. I have no knowledge of how european talent translates into the MLS. Could a player like this make an MLS team now?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    A glazed donut. It's basically air. I guess I'm just hungry.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well like anything else it all goes down to money. MLS min sal is still like 20k a year I believe. That is not a lot just enough to stop a few OK players from going home. Where the same lv player makes like 80k a year in europe. 100K is about the average MLS salary kinda a Europe semi pro average really. Which is why so few American players stay here. Likely if he is making over 80k I'd say yes but why would he want to. Very few guys like Landon Donovan stay here when they can be making much more in the English Premier League or Bundesliga. We are like Turkey for NBA players when it comes to soccer. Some just come here when they can't be a star at home anymore.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    my knowledge of soccer. I have an aquaintance who plays for Santa Clara in the Portugal league. Igor Kojic. I have no knowledge of how european talent translates into the MLS. Could a player like this make an MLS team now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Well like anything else it all goes down to money. MLS min sal is still like 20k a year I believe. That is not a lot just enough to stop a few OK players from going home. Where the same lv player makes like 80k a year in europe. 100K is about the average MLS salary kinda a Europe semi pro average really. Which is why so few American players stay here. Likely if he is making over 80k I'd say yes but why would he want to. Very few guys like Landon Donovan stay here when they can be making much more in the English Premier League or Bundesliga. We are like Turkey for NBA players when it comes to soccer. Some just come here when they can't be a star at home anymore.

This is true to an extent however age also comes into play along with money. If you're young and you have real ability you would want to be in Europe where you can be seen by the big clubs more easily. Whereas the US is almost like the dark side of the moon in soccer terms, not only because of the level of play but also because of the weird transfer rules and the schedule that doesnt align with the European game.

And there is also a bias against the US game that still persists, and since your clubs can't play in competitive matches agaisnt the european clubs that bias will be there until the MLS starts printing money and sign the very top level soccer talent, which will be next to impossible.

On the other hand if you are on the wrong side of 30 the Turkish basketball league example is an apt one, but a better one is the UAE or Qatar leagues, from here it looks like the retired stars go to die either to the MLS, Qatar or the UAE...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    in general I'd say people are too negative about the level of talent in the MLS. the MLS talent is comparable (or better than) many smaller leagues in Europe. Ireland, Scotland, Denmark, Switzerland, Austria all have similar leagues to the MLS. It's a physical game more similar to the northern European game. It's obviously no where near EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A or Ligue 1 but it's not terrible. it's similar to the 3rd level (Gunpoweder) in England or other minor leagues in Europe. the Portugese league, where your friend plays, is better than the MLS clearly but not by leaps and bounds. there are certainly guys on Santa Clara who are worse than MLS starters, way worse.

besides the old stars coming to die, there are cases of young stars starting out in the MLS as well. such as Giuseppe Rossi (former Red Bull now in La Liga) , Juan agudelo, danny mwanga possibly. these guys probably are in europe when they are getting older.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    in general I'd say people are too negative about the level of talent in the MLS. the MLS talent is comparable (or better than) many smaller leagues in Europe. Ireland, Scotland, Denmark, Switzerland, Austria all have similar leagues to the MLS. It's a physical game more similar to the northern European game. It's obviously no where near EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A or Ligue 1 but it's not terrible. it's similar to the 3rd level (Gunpoweder) in England or other minor leagues in Europe. the Portugese league, where your friend plays, is better than the MLS clearly but not by leaps and bounds. there are certainly guys on Santa Clara who are worse than MLS starters, way worse.

besides the old stars coming to die, there are cases of young stars starting out in the MLS as well. such as Giuseppe Rossi (former Red Bull now in La Liga) , Juan agudelo, danny mwanga possibly. these guys probably are in europe when they are getting older.
    huh? Its your pick in the draft by the way

It looks like Igor is a keeper. Quality of MLS keeping is sub-par. If he is the goods, he could easily play in MLS.
    Last edited by Bay Ridge Jet; 07-21-2011 at 12:46 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    huh?
    ok he never was on the red bulls roster but he occasionally trained with red bull academy when he was visiting the USA.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    ok he never was on the red bulls roster but he occasionally trained with red bull academy when he was visiting the USA.
    Talking about him and Subotic always bothers me