Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Wynn on Obama at yesterday's Shareholder Meeting

[QUOTE=cr726;4065142]Great post bro! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    I try and avoid commenting on anything you post - this is not difficult for me to do.

Because it takes two to tango it would stand to reason that you and I would never be antagonistic, right?

And yet here we are (is this the 3rd or 4th time this week?) with you unprovoked and looking for the same kind of personal back-and-forths that recently got people banned.

I suggest talking out loud about whatever it is I did to get you so butthurt or simply knocking it off.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4065135]im pretty sure you didn't read my post cause I said that exact thing.[/QUOTE]

Why argue the counterpoint that Wynn "doesn't have the best interests of the USA" at hears unless you think that they should have that as a priority. The company does not but the man personally does. He is saying that they want to invest in America to make money and create jobs here but the economic uncertainties and harsh regulatory environment is stopping him. His sentiments are echoed by numrous brave CEO's willing to step up and say it alongside countless companies that show it through their actions.

The Government should be encouraging investment and expansion not preventing it!

Obama sucks, where is the Republican alternative who doesn't suck?

[QUOTE=sackdance;4065178]I try and avoid commenting on anything you post - this is not difficult for me to do.
    [/QUOTE]

Nice back handed comment, I am sorry you had to respond in full sentences to my post. It won't happen again.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4065187]Obama sucks, where is the Republican alternative who doesn't suck?[/QUOTE]

Romney is fantastic. He is a pragmatist and a business man. A successful governor of a liberal state. The knock against him is that he doesn't hold staunch conservative social principals. So what! I don't either.

As a fiscal conservative that couldn't care less about a social values agenda I think he is a close to the ideal candidate.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4064953]Failproof Recovery Plan:

1.) Leave debt ceiling alone, let country default

2.) Cut ALL corporate taxes to 0%.

3.) Cut taxes on anyone making 100k or more to 0%.

4.) Eliminate Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, TANF and the Foodstamp program.

5.) Eliminate the Dept of Education, the TSA, the Post Office, Homeland Security, the Dept of Agriculture, the EPA and the SEC.

6.) Bask in glory as free market fixes all.

7.) Profit.[/QUOTE]

Glad you find this whole topic humorous.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ernie;4065208]Glad you find this whole topic humorous.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes. I should really respect the solemness that is the political forum on a football fan website.

Many Bothans died to bring us this information :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Wynn's statement is full of generalities which simply aren't based on facts.

Under Obama, we have seen the following policies:

Extension of Bush tax cuts
    New tax cuts for basically everyone
    Implementation of Dole / Romney health care plan which props up the current for-profit private health care industry
    Lack of major financial regulations in wake of near financial collapse
    Bailouts of major private auto companies
    Large increases in defense spending including private contractors
    New and continued subsidies to big oil, housing, farms, etc.

The list goes on and on.

The bottom line is Obama is a corporatist through and through. Whether that is due to personal ideology or political necessity is a separate conversation, but there is no denying that Obama's policies have been "more of the same" and almost completely corporatist in nature.

Wynn is simply out of his mind on this one. The entire argument of "uncertain environment" is relevant only in terms of Washington's failure as a whole over a span of decades, not Obama himself.

[QUOTE=parafly;4065306]Implementation of Dole / Romney health care plan which props up the current for-profit private health care industry[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but what if your business isn't in the private health care industry and you don't have a friend in the WH to provide you an exemption?

If business fears Obama, which I'll take Wynn and Home Depot guy's word on it, then it's his job to fix the relationship.

O should remember that one of these three is temporary (thank God):

•*American business
    •*American employee
    •*President Obama

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4065196]Romney is fantastic. He is a pragmatist and a business man. A successful governor of a liberal state. The knock against him is that he doesn't hold staunch conservative social principals. So what! I don't either.

As a fiscal conservative that couldn't care less about a social values agenda I think he is a close to the ideal candidate.[/QUOTE]

If he gets the nomination and shows well in debate against Obama I would have no issue with that. I think the Conservative wing of the party is going to try and stop him cold. Lets see if he can put Bachman or Perry in the grave after a couple of primaries.

[QUOTE=sackdance;4065327]
    If business fears Obama, which I'll take Wynn and Home Depot guy's word on it, [/QUOTE]

here's what Steve Wynn said in China

[quote]
    September will be our fifth anniversary in the People's Republic of China in Macau, and we love it there. We are so grateful to be part of that market and to be allowed to participate in that community. [b]We find the political environment, the regulatory environment, the human resource environment that we're in to be absolutely delicious.[/b] Life is quite straightforward in China. The government is predictable. [b]Our employees are eminently trainable. They're anxious to please.[/b] They have a fabulous attitude, whether they're local Macau people, mainland Chinese people, folks from the Philippines, they're just wonderful and all of that's come together to help us deliver the kind of product that we've always been delivering.[/quote]

if you are a billionaire, life is awesome in China. no unions, no pesky regulations or rules, no problem.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sackdance;4065327]Yeah, but what if your business isn't in the private health care industry and you don't have a friend in the WH to provide you an exemption?

If business fears Obama, which I'll take Wynn and Home Depot guy's word on it, then it's his job to fix the relationship.[/QUOTE]

Don't really understand the point here. You can't make everyone happy.

Bottom line is Obama's policies have been extremely pro-business. I'm just sick and tired of the "uncertainty" excuses while corporations sit on the sidelines with record amounts of cash in their pockets.

Businesses hire employees when demand rises and the demand needs to be filled. Although consumer spending is up this year, demand is not going to rise too much when you have stagnant wages, inflation, and high unemployment numbers. Instead of complaining about uncertainty and trying to pass blame on an extremely pro-business President, they should do themselves a favor by spending some of their excess cash on labor and getting the funds circulating through our economy.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4065334]If he gets the nomination and shows well in debate against Obama I would have no issue with that. I think the Conservative wing of the party is going to try and stop him cold. Lets see if he can put Bachman or Perry in the grave after a couple of primaries.[/QUOTE]

I see the conservatives taking each other down. Perry and Bachman split the social conservatives. The Moderately conservative wing (those R's that self identify that way when polled) of the R party tends to choose candidates. Dole, Mccain, Bush all more moderate than their main primary opponents.

[QUOTE=parafly;4065343]Don't really understand the point here. You can't make everyone happy.

Bottom line is Obama's policies have been extremely pro-business. I'm just sick and tired of the "uncertainty" excuses while corporations sit on the sidelines with record amounts of cash in their pockets.

Businesses hire employees when demand rises and the demand needs to be filled. Although consumer spending is up this year, demand is not going to rise too much when you have stagnant wages, inflation, and high unemployment numbers. Instead of complaining about uncertainty and trying to pass blame on an extremely pro-business President, they should do themselves a favor by spending some of their excess cash on labor and getting the funds circulating through our economy.[/QUOTE]

LOL. So we should ignore CEO's most of whom identify as democrats in favor of your opinions? I suppose dispatching Obamas goons at the NLRB to try and crush Boeing in order to placate his union overlords was pro business? Or the disastrous bailout of the automakers that essentially handed ownership of the companies to once again obama's union overlords was pro business? We wasted 30Billion on that crap when the outcome would have been better to just let them reorganize leaner and meaner under chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Now Parafly my question for you is this: do you really believe the nonsense you wrote above or are you just saying it to goad a reaction out of us?

[QUOTE=bitonti;4065340]if you are a billionaire, life is awesome in China. no unions, no pesky regulations or rules, no problem.[/QUOTE]
    Makes sense.

Meanwhile in America the President has spooked big business which puts money on the sidelines, drives business capital and jobs overseas, hurts/stymies small businesses, and the unemployed languish further with little hope at finding work.

Bad job, Obama.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sackdance;4065356]Makes sense.

Meanwhile in America the President has spooked big business which [B]puts money on the sidelines, drives business capital and jobs overseas, hurts/stymies small businesses, and the unemployed languish further with little hope at finding work.[/B]

Bad job, Obama.[/QUOTE]

Amazing how you can list all the ways that businesses are hurting America and ultimately come to the conclusion that it's 100% on Obama and 0% on the businesses themselves.

[QUOTE=parafly;4065365]Amazing how you can list all the ways that businesses are hurting America and ultimately come to the conclusion that it's 100% on Obama and 0% on the businesses themselves.[/QUOTE]

Business is not here to hurt or help America. They exsist to make money. The outcome of their desire to make money often helps America through job growth, growth in the tax base and GDP growth.

The problem with your entire rationale is that you seem to think that business should exists to help America. During a jobs crisis the job of the government is to put policies in place to encourage domestic economic expansion. If business sees an environment where they can make money they will invest. If you slap tons of taxation and regulation on them. Force them to hire union thugs as labor. And generally skew the risk return scenario then businesses will stay on the sidelines.

To put it in football terms businesses are like Peyton Manning. They are emotionless machines with the sole purpose of making money and enhancing shareholder value. They will exploit any tax law or incentive if it makes them money. Obama's economic policy is like Rex Ryan's defense (this is strictly for this example). In the Playoffs this year Rex figured out that Manning is like a QB machine. He is so good at reading defenses that you can show a D and he will mechanically go to the best counter. Rex showed pass D and Manning automatically audibled to the run. Barak showes tax increases, increased regulation and an affinity for union thugs and Business instinctively turtles up and goes in to safe mode. Dont take risk, hoard cash, tread water.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4065374]Business is not here to hurt or help America. They exsist to make money. The outcome of their desire to make money often helps America through job growth, growth in the tax base and GDP growth.

The problem with your entire rationale is that you seem to think that business should exists to help America. During a jobs crisis the job of the government is to put policies in place to encourage domestic economic expansion. If business sees an environment where they can make money they will invest. If you slap tons of taxation and regulation on them. Force them to hire union thugs as labor. And generally skew the risk return scenario then businesses will stay on the sidelines.[/QUOTE]

You are correct. Their one and only mission is to make as much profit as possible.

It is not my rationale that business should exist to help America. I am simply stating that they are not helping themselves by sitting on sidelines with record amounts of cash while inflation, stagnant wages, and high unemployment rates plague our country. Do you disagree that investing in America and its workforce would not drive up demand and ultimately come full circle? Does big business (with cash to spend and not spending it) bear no responsibility in a struggling economy?

My contention is that its ridiculous to pass blame onto a "business as usual" President, and I disagree with your "tons of taxation and regulation" statement. Obama has extended massive tax cuts, added more tax cuts on top of it, and the fact is that effective tax rates are at their lowest levels in many decades. To my knowledge, Obama has not put in place any new, major regulation policies outside of the credit card industry, which is turning out huge profits regardless.

[QUOTE=parafly;4065381]You are correct. Their one and only mission is to make as much profit as possible.

It is not my rationale that business should exist to help America. I am simply stating that they are not helping themselves by sitting on sidelines with record amounts of cash while inflation, stagnant wages, and high unemployment rates plague our country. Do you disagree that investing in America and its workforce would not drive up demand and ultimately come full circle? Does big business (with cash to spend and not spending it) bear no responsibility in a struggling economy?

My contention is that its ridiculous to pass blame onto a "business as usual" President, and I disagree with your "tons of taxation and regulation" statement. Obama has extended massive tax cuts, added more tax cuts on top of it, and the fact is that effective tax rates are at their lowest levels in many decades. To my knowledge, Obama has not put in place any new, major regulation policies outside of the credit card industry, which is turning out huge profits regardless.[/QUOTE]

Wow. You don't think Obama or more specifically the Democratic controlled House and Senate passed major regulation? Obamacare is the most disastrous business killing regulation to hit our country ever. Dodd/Frank financial regulations, The credit card nonesense. The NLRB on steroids going after job creators where ever they try to hide. Attempts to pass carbon taxes and make it easier for union thugs to force unionization on workers. Card check etc. Fuel efficiency requirements. These are just a few off the top of my head.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4065385] Obamacare is the most disastrous business killing regulation to hit our country ever. .[/QUOTE]

it doesn't even kick in until 2014 or something. How is it killing jobs in 2011?