Thread: OT - What do Caddies do?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

OT - What do Caddies do?

This maybe a really dumb question, but I’m terrible at golf and don’t know much about the PGA. What do caddies do? I thought they only hold the clubs and, since they don’t use carts, only remained as part of the tradition. So Tiger fired his caddie after 12 years - is it really that big of a deal?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please see on going thread in the 'OT' forum...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rhyan66;4065043]This maybe a really dumb question, but I’m terrible at golf and don’t know much about the PGA. What do caddies do? I thought they only hold the clubs and, since they don’t use carts, only remained as part of the tradition. So Tiger fired his caddie after 12 years - is it really that big of a deal?[/QUOTE]

A good caddy is kinda like a good PA - they handle all the small detail that lets the pros just concentrate on playing the game.

Caddies don't just carry the clubs - they walk the course for hours before tournaments, mapping distances and flagging up issues with the course to their pro (like tendency for a certain hole to have a difficult crosswind etc).

They keep the pro's mind in the game, and keep them straight on any unusal rules etc in the tournament they are playing.

They offer advice to the pro on club selection during tournaments, based on conditions and distance etc.

People assume that caddies just carry the clubs, but they actually do a lot more than that. A good caddy is worth their weight in gold, and can genuinely make the difference between winning and losing at the elite level.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience, they go into the parking lot and wipe the paint off of your ball.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mrcoops;4065056]A good caddy is kinda like a good PA - they handle all the small detail that lets the pros just concentrate on playing the game.

Caddies don't just carry the clubs - they walk the course for hours before tournaments, mapping distances and flagging up issues with the course to their pro (like tendency for a certain hole to have a difficult crosswind etc).

They keep the pro's mind in the game, and keep them straight on any unusal rules etc in the tournament they are playing.

They offer advice to the pro on club selection during tournaments, based on conditions and distance etc.

People assume that caddies just carry the clubs, but they actually do a lot more than that. A good caddy is worth their weight in gold, and can genuinely make the difference between winning and losing at the elite level.[/QUOTE]

^THIS,

plus they map all breaks on the greens and assist in reading and lining up putts. They influence strategy based on the players performance that week and current conditions. Plus they reduce the players ridiculous earnings levels by 10%.:D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ass-to-mouth for every tournament win.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x08cYw009w[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    A remember a few years back, we were in the states and my dad and I were invited by a friend of his to a really posh golf course. My Dad had just started and sucked, and I could hit the ball well, but it wasn’t very straight. My Dad had brought his clubs over so we searched the house and found another golf bag and split the clubs. It was an old piece of **** canvas bag which in itself was totally unacceptable for the Club we were going to.

We show up and learn we HAVE to have a caddie. Kid was happy it was probably the lightest 2 bags he’d ever carried.

My Dad gets ready for the first tee, the kid comes up
    “Sir, you’re 356 yards from the green”

10 seconds later
    “Sir you’re 345 yards from the green” :D

The worst part came when at one point my Dad had dropped something in his bag.
    “No worries sir”
    Kid takes out every club, and flips the bag over thinking he’s going to recover the thing. With it came months worth of candy wrappers and all kinds of sh*t onto the fairway…

Good times.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;4065087]A remember a few years back, we were in the states and my dad and I were invited by a friend of his to a really posh golf course. My Dad had just started and sucked, and I could hit the ball well, but it wasn’t very straight. My Dad had brought his clubs over so we searched the house and found another golf bag and split the clubs. It was an old piece of **** canvas bag which in itself was totally unacceptable for the Club we were going to.

We show up and learn we HAVE to have a caddie. Kid was happy it was probably the lightest 2 bags he’d ever carried.

10 seconds later

“No worries sir”
    Kid takes out every club, and flips the bag over thinking he’s going to recover the thing. With it came months worth of candy wrappers and all kinds of sh*t onto the fairway…

Good times.[/QUOTE]

[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xBydH93eDY[/url]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;4065087]A remember a few years back, we were in the states and my dad and I were invited by a friend of his to a really posh golf course.[/QUOTE]

Hilarious!

Was it CCD by chance?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;4065098]Hilarious!

Was it CCD by chance?[/QUOTE]

No

Ccd x 10000

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;4065112]No

Ccd x 10000[/QUOTE]

Good lord. I hope you were slightly intoxicated to at least take the edge of all those narrow eyes on you.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    backroom indulgenances

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;4065117]Good lord. I hope you were slightly intoxicated to at least take the edge of all those narrow eyes on you.[/QUOTE]
    When my dad tells the story it lasts 20 minutes and everyone's in tears: the divots, the whiffs, the bunkers, the foursomes waiting behind us...

His buddy litterally did a facepalm after the garbage was dumped on the fairway "WTF was I thinking?"

I'm sure they have a blast at the clubhouse now "Remember that time you invited the Frenchies?" :rofl::bigcry:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;4065087]A remember a few years back, we were in the states and my dad and I were invited by a friend of his to a really posh golf course. My Dad had just started and sucked, and I could hit the ball well, but it wasn’t very straight. My Dad had brought his clubs over so we searched the house and found another golf bag and split the clubs. It was an old piece of **** canvas bag which in itself was totally unacceptable for the Club we were going to.

10 seconds later

“No worries sir”

Good times.[/QUOTE]

so your Dad sucked and you weren't very straight.

got it.

wait, why did we need to know this?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4065206]so your Dad sucked and you weren't very straight.

got it.

wait, why did we need to know this?[/QUOTE]

they had matching berets

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4065206]so your Dad sucked and you weren't very straight.

got it.

[/QUOTE]

:D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4065080]^THIS,

plus they map all breaks on the greens and assist in reading and lining up putts. They influence strategy based on the players performance that week and current conditions. Plus they reduce the players ridiculous earnings levels by 10%.:D[/QUOTE]

AND.....they make winners on the tour (cough Steve Williams cough)
    This could wind up being the worse decision Tiger has made in his career....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve Williams has a net worth of $20 million dollars apparently.

Balls well and truly cleaned I would say!

I wonder if Williams ever got any Hooters poontang spillover from the Tiger? You know, the same way that the drummer in the band and even the roadies sometimes luck into poosie (best Sean Connery - Goldfinger impression) if the lead singer is balls deep elsewhere.