Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Oslo Bombing

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4068886]people say this, and it sounds good on paper but in practice, let's say they revoked all the food stamps tomorrow. there'd be an outcry, people starving in the streets, and oh by the way wal-mart makes a crap load of money accepting these things. Even if what you are saying is true, there's far too much pain involved to corporations for getting rid of certain entitlements. Like the single mother on food stamps would suddenly be motivated to make her own money, it's just those damn food stamps keeping her down. Somehow i don't think it's that simple. going back to the Jesus example, he fed the hungry, he didn't withhold food because it was a form of slavery, to feed a hungry person. Jesus turned the fishes and the loaves into a feast, he wasn't concerned about the people becoming dependent upon his kindness.[/QUOTE]

First of all the Loaves and the Fishes story unless you want to believe it was a miracle was more the cajoling of Jesus of the masses to share with their neighbors.

Second, there are plenty of other ways to feed the masses beyond government programs. Almost every town has a soup kitchen and I have heard my mother speak of throwing out food at the church food kitchen because not enough people show up and I have seen all the expired food get thrown out at my civic center because no one comes for it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4068969]First of all the Loaves and the Fishes story unless you want to believe it was a miracle was more the cajoling of Jesus of the masses to share with their neighbors.
    [/QUOTE]

Really?

Jesus's disciples wanted the crowd to go and bum food from the neighboring towns...they were trying to get away from them. Jesus said "Feed 'em, you a**hats"....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4069056]Really?

Jesus's disciples wanted the crowd to go and bum food from the neighboring towns...they were trying to get away from them. Jesus said "Feed 'em, you a**hats"....[/QUOTE]

Share amongst yourselves, not go begging. Whatever.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4069056]Really?

Jesus's disciples wanted the crowd to go and bum food from the neighboring towns...they were trying to get away from them. Jesus said "Feed 'em, you a**hats"....[/QUOTE]

Is that an actual quote from the Bible? You must have "The Good Book: the Swearers Edition - what they really said."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4069093]Share amongst yourselves, not go begging. Whatever.[/QUOTE]

Jesus helped the poor, he didn't worry about the consequences of helping the poor, i.e. If I heal this blind man and cure this leper, how will he heal and cure himself? the idea of "personal responsibility" is all well and good but taken to extremes it allows everyone to not care about anyone but themselves.

(as noted in the thread) he also said it was harder for a camel to fit the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven... that doesn't sound like a conservative mindset. Jesus also said render unto caesars what is caesars he didn't cry about tax rates.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4069157]Jesus helped the poor, he didn't worry about the consequences of helping the poor[/QUOTE]
    Stop right there. You've said enough.

Unless you'd like to become a preacher.