Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New car buying advice (SUV)

New car buying advice (SUV)

I've had 2 very big SUV's over the past 10 years. Lexus LX 470 and the Escalade ESV. Liked them both, probably the Lexus more. I currently own the Escalade. I really don't want another BIG SUV. I've looked at 4 new 2011 SUVs. The BMW X5, Lexus GX 470, the redesigned Ford Explorer (Limited) and the redesigned Jeep Cherokee (Overland). I really didn't want to spend the $$$ on the BMW or Lexus. I didn't like the way the Explorer handled. I did like the Overland. I drove it at 2 different dealerships. Should I just stay from a Chrysler? Both dealerships will negotiate a good price ($36-$37 K). Has anyone tested these vehicles? Which one did you buy? Any alternatives?

Jets Insider VIP
    I have a 2009 Toyota Land Cruiser. Wouldn't trade it in for the world and will likely keep it for a decade or longer. It replaced an Infiniti QX4 I had for 9 years but I needed something bigger with true offroad capabilities. I wanted a true utility vehicle and test drove the X5 (my other car is a BMW sedan) and I liked it, but it wasn't practical for what I wanted. The third row seat is useless on the X5 and forget about it for offroading. It's a great urban/suburban sporty SUV though and the creature comforts are great in a BMW.

I have a friend who just got that new Jeep Grand Cherokee and he loves it. I've ridden in it twice. Haven't owned too many American vehicles but I'd take a serious look at that Jeep if I were you.

It all depends on what your requirements are and how you'll use the vehicle. It also depends on your brand preferences and how important making an impression is to you. I'm not very flashy and a lot of people would have a hard time spending about $70K on a Toyota like I did...they'd expect to have a BMW or MB emblem on their hood for that price but people who know SUV's and understand value know what I'm driving and why I'm driving it.

Good luck.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 07-25-2011 at 12:10 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=jetstream23;4067055] I'm not very flashy and a lot of people would have a hard time spending about $70K on a Toyota like I did...they'd expect to have a BMW or MB emblem on their hood for that price but people who know SUV's and understand value know what I'm driving and why I'm driving it.

[/QUOTE]

"......Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear.... and when I do it's usually something unusual."

:eek:

:D;)

-

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=32green;4067057]"......Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear.... and when I do it's usually something unusual."

:eek:

:D;)

-[/QUOTE]

32green, YOU are a madman. When you stole that cow, and your friend tried to make it with the cow. I want to party with you, cowboy.....The two of us together, forget it.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=CHIROJET-WPB;4067018] I really don't want another BIG SUV. I've looked at 4 new 2011 SUVs. The BMW X5, Lexus GX 470, the redesigned Ford Explorer (Limited) and the redesigned Jeep Cherokee (Overland). [/QUOTE]

So these are considered [I]small [/I]in the US? :O

[QUOTE=CHIROJET-WPB;4067018]I've had 2 very big SUV's over the past 10 years. Lexus LX 470 and the Escalade ESV. Liked them both, probably the Lexus more. I currently own the Escalade. I really don't want another BIG SUV. I've looked at 4 new 2011 SUVs. The BMW X5, Lexus GX 470, the redesigned Ford Explorer (Limited) and the redesigned Jeep Cherokee (Overland). I really didn't want to spend the $$$ on the BMW or Lexus. I didn't like the way the Explorer handled. I did like the Overland. I drove it at 2 different dealerships. Should I just stay from a Chrysler? Both dealerships will negotiate a good price ($36-$37 K). Has anyone tested these vehicles? Which one did you buy? Any alternatives?[/QUOTE]

Just spent 10 days in California driving a rented [COLOR="black"][B]Kia Sorrento[/B][/COLOR]...I have to say, this might be worth a look for you. Very comfortable ride, there was a third row of seats and plenty of room if the third row is not in use!!

Jets Insider VIP
    I hear nothing but good things about the Sorrento as well. The Jeep is equipped with the new Pentastar V6 which is supposed to be phenomenal.

[QUOTE=Jetworks;4067111]I hear nothing but good things about the Sorrento as well. The Jeep is equipped with the new Pentastar V6 which is supposed to be phenomenal.[/QUOTE]

I drove both...the V6 was smooth, but the HEMI V8 was really powerful. With gas close to $4/gal I suppose I should be leaning towards the V6.

[QUOTE=RaoulDuke;4067082]So these are considered [I]small [/I]in the US? :O[/QUOTE]

well I was comparing them to the Cadillas Escalade ESV and the Lexus LX 470 which are both really big.

[QUOTE=Jetworks;4067111]I hear nothing but good things about the Sorrento as well. The Jeep is equipped with the new Pentastar V6 which is supposed to be phenomenal.[/QUOTE]

One of the things I noticed immediately about the Sorrento was the pick-up....those highways out there are no joke and with the huge double-trailer trucks out there you need to get moving in a hurry. I also had to schlep the wife, two kids and the mother-in-law to the airport to catch our flight almost an hour away and it was able to fit everything quite comfortably as well!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Audi Q5 w/2.0L turbo...27mpg

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4067152]Audi Q5 w/2.0L turbo...27mpg[/QUOTE]
    Leased or purchased?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=RaoulDuke;4067161]Leased or purchased?[/QUOTE]
    I don't have one, but I think it will be the next suv I get my wife...I'm driving an A4 right now and I'm very happy with it. :yes:

[QUOTE=jetswin;4067174]I don't have one, but I think it will be the next suv I get my wife...I'm driving an A4 right now and I'm very happy with it. :yes:[/QUOTE]

A4 is a sweet ride. I have one as well. I had a caddy cts before the Audi and it blows it out of the water.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4067201]A4 is a sweet ride. I have one as well. I had a caddy cts before the Audi and it blows it out of the water.[/QUOTE]
    I've been driving BMW's for a long time, and they still handle, accelerate, and brake better, but the A4 has more room inside, is much more economical for commuting, has a nicer interior/better technology, has a great all wheel drive system, and is cheaper. Add to that I hate the way the new 3 series looks Audi has really impressed me.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4067207]I've been driving BMW's for a long time, and they still handle, accelerate, and brake better, but the A4 has more room inside, is much more economical for commuting, has a nicer interior/better technology, has a great all wheel drive system, and is cheaper. Add to that I hate the way the new 3 series looks Audi has really impressed me.[/QUOTE]

imported car dealer here just put a snappy little BMW convertable in the parking lot. Looks like one of those 70's jobs that had the high windows all around (202? 303?). I haven't seen many of the covertables around.

Jets Insider VIP
    I own a Toyota and my wife owns a Honda, so Im pretty biased. I had a Jeep once and all I can say is stay away from them.

If you're looking smaller than the Escalade, Im seriously considering a Toyota Highlander; the next gen looks are a huge upgrade from the previous model, and they look better than the newly designed 4Runners, which pains me to say it.

The Honda Pilot has to be one of the ugliest SUV makeovers I have ever seen, any thoughts on the Acura MDX or RDX? I heard the RDX only runs on premium gasoline though :rolleyes:

All League
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4067055]

I'm not very flashy and a lot of people would have a hard time spending about $70K on a Toyota like I did...they'd expect to have a BMW or MB emblem on their hood for that price but people who know SUV's and understand value know what I'm driving and why I'm driving it.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

holy crap 70 large for a toyota????

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Timmy®;4067211]imported car dealer here just put a snappy little BMW convertable in the parking lot. Looks like one of those 70's jobs that had the high windows all around (202? 303?). I haven't seen many of the covertables around.[/QUOTE]
    does it look like this? e30 was the body type, from the mid 80's - 91 I believe

[IMG]http://www.deansminis.com/images/deans-E30325iconvertible.jpg[/IMG]