Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Time to buy an Android Tablet

Good Time to buy an Android Tablet

So, I was looking at tablets and really didn't want to listen to Sar and get the iPad2 closed system toy. I decided I needed real computing after all and bought a netbook. I supercharged it up by doubling the ram to 4 Gbs, and swapping in a solid state HD, but lets face it, although it's a great lightweight laptop now, it's not sexy.

So yesterday I went to my local Staples, with their $100 off coupon in hand, and picked up a Motorola Xoom. Damn, talk about sexy. Has none of the shortcomings of the Apple, I can multitask like crazy, the screen is true 16 x 10 HD, I can expand the memory with the micro-SD card, etc, etc. Best of all, no crappy iTunes to deal with. Just usb to my computer and transfer music, movies, photos etc with an easy drag and drop. HD games are beautiful as it runs with a dual core processor and has 1 Gb of Ram, unlike Apple's puny 256K of Ram on their non-HD 4:3 screen. I love some of the widgets which allow you to scroll through your emails, top news stories, You Tube Vids, books, etc on your home screen without having to open an application. You can customize your home screen to suit your usage, unlike the iPad which has only icons that can be moved around. The whole ineterface and user experience is now very intuitive after having played with it for half a day.

Plenty of apps and the list is growing daily. No where near the number Apple has but I've yet to look for one i want and come up empty. So far, the best one allows me to access my desktop remotely and stream all my media in near HD to my tablet. I can also watch my recorded TV shows and watch live TV in near HD. Awesome. Going to be [U]very[/U] awesome when I want to watch the game when I'm somewhere there's no TV available.

Oh, and it has flash, so I get a full web experience on about 3 million websites that don't use html5.

Wifi versions of the 32 Gb Xoom or 16 Gb Samsung Galaxy is only $400 after coupon. Get the ACER, ASUS or Dell 7" Streak for $300 with same coupon. It expires on July 30. Here;'s the link:

[url]http://www.talkandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/staplescoupon1.png[/url]
    Last edited by GronkWelkhead; 07-25-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Lipstick on a pig, peon.

SAR I

Get outside and go for a walk nerd.

[QUOTE=NYJinBoston;4067321]Lipstick on a pig, peon.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

LMFAO...you win the Sar sound-alike Hampur contest.:D

First prize, a Kenmore refridgerator magnet.

[QUOTE=FF2®;4067324]Get outside and go for a walk nerd.[/QUOTE]

look who's talkin' fatty.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4067295]

So yesterday I went to my local Staples, with their $100 off coupon in hand, and picked up a Motorola Xoom. Damn, talk about sexy. Has none of the shortcomings of the Apple, I can multitask like crazy, the screen is true 16 x 10 HD, I can expand the memory with the micro-SD card, etc, etc. Best of all, no crappy iTunes to deal with.... [/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2526/3714783252_46774d70a2.jpg[/IMG]

"I'm so glad I didn't listen to everyone else about VHS and its shortcomings and instead got a Betamax. Damn, talk about sexy."

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

So yesterday I went to my local Staples, with their $100 off coupon in hand, and picked up a Motorola Xoom. Damn, talk about sexy. Has none of the shortcomings of the Apple, I can multitask like crazy, the screen is true 16 x 10 HD, I can expand the memory with the micro-SD card, etc, etc. Best of all, no crappy iTunes to deal with.... [/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://oldcomputers.net/pics/adam-box.jpg[/IMG]

"I'm so glad I didn't listen to everyone else about the Apple II and its shortcomings and instead got a Coleco Adam. Damn, talk about sexy."

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[IMG]http://gearpatrol.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/minidisc_sony_mz1.jpg[/IMG]

"I'm so glad I didn't listen to everyone else about the CD and its shortcomings and instead got a Minidisc player. Damn, talk about sexy."

SAR I

Wow, you are a brand loyal Ho, no matter how crappy the product. Gotta give ya that.

Where's the "so glad I didn't listen to anyone about Sub-Zero and instead got a Kenmore?"

Or the "So glad I didn't listen to anyone about the Klipsh and instead got the Bose"

Or the "So glad I didn't listen to anyone about Denon and instead bought a Sony".

What's funniest is you make my point for me, yet are too dumb to even realize it. All the products you mention were first to market (Betamax, Coleco, MiniDisc) that were overtaken eventually by the next gen products. Kinda like the first-to-market iPad will be eventually be by the open community development of the Google Android devices like the Xoom?

What a fool.
    Last edited by GronkWelkhead; 07-25-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Jets Insider VIP

Potential...

....this thread has it.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4067475]....this thread has it.[/QUOTE]

People that understand technology vs people that buy into the first marketing campaign they see with pretty pictures?

Sounds just like a management meeting I attended 30 mins ago. :rimshot: :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Oh gawd. An electronic device penis beat-a-thon.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4067708]Oh gawd. An electronic device penis beat-a-thon.[/QUOTE]

Does one actually need an electronic device to participate?

Please advise

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4067726]Does one actually need an electronic device to participate?

Please advise[/QUOTE]

Not at all.

I'm running my junk across an abacus as we speak....

All this girl fighting top see who's best at Angry Birds®.

[QUOTE=FF2®;4067746]All this girl fighting top see who's best at Angry Birds®.[/QUOTE]

Angry Birds is so yesterday. Today is Cut the Rope.

Common Man!

[QUOTE=SAR I;4067374][IMG]http://oldcomputers.net/pics/adam-box.jpg[/IMG]

"I'm so glad I didn't listen to everyone else about the Apple II and its shortcomings and instead got a Coleco Adam. Damn, talk about sexy."

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Coleco competed against Atari

Apple II competed against IBM/HP (And got steamrolled)

[QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4067785]Angry Birds is so yesterday. Today is Cut the Rope.

Common Man![/QUOTE]

Ot the title screen, tap the candy on a string hanging out of the o in rope. The candy should turn into an Easter egg. Play and the candy will be replaced by the egg and Omnom will wear bunny ears for a second when the candy goes close to him!

SO COOL!

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;4067788]Coleco competed against Atari

Apple II competed against IBM/HP (And got steamrolled)[/QUOTE]

[B][I]NERD OWNAGE!!!![/I][/B]

Hall Of Fame
    I just picked this up for $159 shipped.

[URL]http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3077393[/URL]