View Poll Results: What brand of central a/c do you own?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lennox

0 0%
  • Trane

2 25.00%
  • Carrier

0 0%
  • Other (York, Rheem, etc)

3 37.50%
  • I gots no central, mofo!

3 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the market, *****es!!!!!!!

Jets Insider VIP

In the market, *****es!!!!!!!

What make of central a/c do you own?

Jets Insider VIP
    My existing went tits up this past Saturday. :mad:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=quantum;4067628]My existing went tits up this past Saturday. :mad:[/QUOTE]

What exactly broke, bro? Was it your outside condenser?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4067652]What exactly broke, bro? Was it your outside condenser?[/QUOTE]

The compressor exploded: oil everywhere. its a 14 yr old York, still working on freon. I had it on my list to replace, so of course it ditched on the worst day of the year so far. :mad:

Jets Insider VIP
    They typically last 12-15 years so you were due. The two questions to consider IMO are budget and how long you'll be in the home. If you want quality and you don't plan on moving in the next 5+ years go with a Trane and don't look back.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4067668]They typically last 12-15 years so you were due. The two questions to consider IMO are budget and how long you'll be in the home. If you want quality and you don't plan on moving in the next 5+ years go with a Trane and don't look back.[/QUOTE]

I've narrowed it down to 1 Trane model and 1 Lennox model.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=quantum;4067662]The compressor exploded: oil everywhere. its a 14 yr old York, still working on freon. I had it on my list to replace, so of course it ditched on the worst day of the year so far. :mad:[/QUOTE]

:eek:

That sucks. Yah...you're gonna have to get a new unit. Plus, you're gonna have to get a handful of parts changed on your air handler in you attic/basement to switch to the newer refrigerant.

14 years isn't a bad run for a York. And any of those units you listed in your poll are pretty comparable to each other. If those were your choices, I'd just go with whatever is cheaper.

All League
    Condensers are basically copper coil with a sheet metal housing. They're all the same, from Trane to Carrier to Heil. Trane are more expensive than Heil. Take a look at the marketing Trane does, and you'll see why.

Go with a Heil condenser. Same thing as Trane, even the same warranty. But will cost you less.

Also, check for rebates. Your utility company may give you a rebate if you install a condenser with a high SEER rating.

All League
    what about Goodman?

I'm in the same boat this week and am shopping around. I also saw that you can still get a Freon-compatible unit that will work with your current setup.

They're called "dry charged" units and almost all of the major manufacturers sell them. Find yourself a good installer and you'll be good to go with some money still in your wallet.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetChefJR;4067743]what about Goodman?

I'm in the same boat this week and am shopping around. I also saw that you can still get a Freon-compatible unit that will work with your current setup.

They're called "dry charged" units and almost all of the major manufacturers sell them. Find yourself a good installer and you'll be good to go with some money still in your wallet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...but r-22 is gonna get more and more expensive. They don't make it anymore...

Besides, Carrier just petitioned the EPA to ban "dry charged" units. Pure lolz....

Jets Insider VIP
    Whatever SAR recommends...you know it has to be the best.

[QUOTE=Peebag;4067809]Whatever SAR recommends...you know it has to be the best.[/QUOTE]

Correct. Get the Kenmore with the Sears extended warranty and iPad app to control the thermostat while you're at McDonalds on the Champs-Élysées.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4067832][B][COLOR="Red"]Correct. Get the Kenmore with the Sears extended warranty and iPad app[/COLOR][/B] to control the thermostat while you're [COLOR="Green"][B]at McDonalds on the Champs-Élysées.[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I was already laughing at the red, but once I hit the green part I let out a guffaw that had the wife asking WTF was I looking at!!!:D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4067832]Correct. Get the Kenmore with the Sears extended warranty and iPad app to control the thermostat while you're at McDonalds on the Champs-Élysées.[/QUOTE]

Whoa.

_

[QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4067832]Correct. Get the Kenmore with the Sears extended warranty and iPad app to control the thermostat while you're at McDonalds on the Champs-Élysées.[/QUOTE]

I am certain 32green is going to come to my rescue for this one. He makes sure posters don't pile-on and abuse other posters in a very fair and balanced manner.

You'll see.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4068117]I am certain 32green is going to come to my rescue for this one. He makes sure posters don't pile-on and abuse other posters in a very fair and balanced manner.

You'll see.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

32- you've been called out twice so far.

When are you going to come to the rescue?

_

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4068154]32- you've been called out twice so far.

When are you going to come to the rescue?

_[/QUOTE]

When he gets home. He's out pricing white ATV's now.

Heard lots of good things about Ruud. Will likely go that route when my existing goes t/u.

Jets Insider VIP

Post more awesomeness like this, and I'll be a fan for life dude. :D

[QUOTE=quantum;4068708]Post more awesomeness like this, and I'll be a fan for life dude. :D[/QUOTE]

Apparently you missed my marionettes post. Skeeved a lot of people out. :cool: