Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Change We Can.." Wealth Gap Widens Between Whites And Minorities!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4069757]That wouldn't increase unemployment right? Or how about things that actually get done within the gov't. Your generalizations are ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

But according to Nancy Pelosi "[Unemployment] injects demand into the economy," Pelosi said, arguing that when families have money to spend it keeps the economy churning. "It creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name."
    [LEFT][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]So by laying off all those government workers the econmy would be that much stronger.
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;4069407]part of the i snot that it is easier, but that our welfare system is a mess that needs to be cleaned up.

Case in point: I know someone who is a single mother with two kids, she had a job that did not pay all that well and so she received some aid from the state (WIC, things like that) when she was offered a pay raise and promotion at her job she would no longer qualify for that aid and in effect have less money that she would have if she kept the lower paying position and the gov't aid. She actually would have had a harder time making ends meet.

To me, that is a problem with the system, not someone just being lazy.[/QUOTE]

So then what is the answer? Once people are on any welfare type benefit they have to stay on for life? What is the proper income line that qualifies someone to get benefits? Maybe we should all get these benefits because my life would be better if I didn't have to pay for everything myself.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4070542]But according to Nancy Pelosi "[Unemployment] injects demand into the economy," Pelosi said, arguing that when families have money to spend it keeps the economy churning. "It creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name."
    [LEFT][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]So by laying off all those government workers the econmy would be that much stronger.
    [/COLOR][/LEFT][/QUOTE]

You want to argue that laying off gov't employees and not giving them unemployment would not hurt a consumer based economy?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4070638]You want to argue that laying off gov't employees and not giving them unemployment would not hurt a consumer based economy?[/QUOTE]

of course they are entitled to unemployement. BUT...according to "The Govt" these are high skilled workers. They should find a job quickly with those "high skills". LMAO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4070745]of course they are entitled to unemployement. BUT...according to "The Govt" these are high skilled workers. They should find a job quickly with those "high skills". LMAO.[/QUOTE]

I amazed at how arrogant you get when it comes to this stuff. There are 2 CPA's in front of me right now, um they aren't the best people in the office for a reason. CPA's tend not to be able to actually understand people or the investigations part either, but hey they are CPA's!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4070788]I amazed at how arrogant you get when it comes to this stuff. There are 2 CPA's in front of me right now, um they aren't the best people in the office for a reason. CPA's tend not to be able to actually understand people or the investigations part either, but hey they are CPA's!!!!!! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

The federal hiring standards are always in question.

YOUR government agency screened them no????

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4070884]The federal hiring standards are always in question.

YOUR government agency screened them no????[/QUOTE]

At least we have standards.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4070920]At least we have standards.[/QUOTE]

yeah...low standards are better than none I suppose.;)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4069152]ya know what would hurt business more than anything else? defaulting on the debt limit. Rates go up, markets crash.

tea party GOP doesn't care about business, they care about winning elections and making a point. Obama governing this country is better for business than the tea party "governing" this country (i use quotes cause they don't govern they just shout)[/QUOTE]

Bull**** Bit. The democrats had 6 months before the Republicans took over the house and they did nothing and that is a fact! The truth is Obama let the Bush tax cuts get extended and he said it would be unwise to raise taxes at the time. The time is worse now and why would he change his mind. Maybe the Presidential Election!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;4071162]Bull**** Bit. The democrats had 6 months before the Republicans took over the house and they did nothing and that is a fact! The truth is Obama let the Bush tax cuts get extended and he said it would be unwise to raise taxes at the time. The time is worse now and why would he change his mind. Maybe the Presidential Election![/QUOTE]

Raising taxes wins elections?
    Last edited by cr726; 07-27-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Problem is a cultural one not a political one. Saw an economist speak on this topic recent. Her concerns are the following and she had no solution how to change it.

Some African Americans like to show their wealth and spend a larger amount of income on $100 sneakers, expensive cars, nice furniture, great clothes, fancy jewelery, flat screen tvs, furniture, IPADS/IPODs, great vacations. However, that is all either gone money or money buying assets that depreciate quickly.

Spanish people often work off the books and are less likely to have 401Ks, IRAs and Pension plans. Also subprime mortgages and no-doc mortgages that were created in 2001-2004 made many jump into housing market often in bubble areas, too much net worth tied up in Real Estate that crashed.

Whites as well as asians often have good jobs that have pensions or 401Ks, they also are much more likely to own stocks and bonds. Although home values also fell from them, it was a lesser portion of net worth and had been bought with conforming mortgages. The stock market has recovered almost 100% since March 2009 and investment grade, munis and treasuries have risen as interest rates have fallen. Their 401Ks, IRAs, Broker Dealer accounts rose enough to help off set their decline in real estate.

African Americans and Hispanics need to have a better understanding of diversification of investments, stick to a savings plan and not enter into high risk high leveraged mortgages. The real estate crash punished them more, but they the internet bubble crash in 2000 punished Whites and Asians more.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4071348]Raising taxes wins elections?[/QUOTE]

No, Just ask Bush the senior one that is. It always brings in less money then expected. No one and I mean no one wants to see this country default. Boeaner has said that time and time again. I would like to see Obama put up or shutup for once in his presidency. It is time for leadership not finger pointing! :)