Thread: Best Sports Game Career Mode

All Pro

Best Sports Game Career Mode

So for any gamers out there I need some help. My favorite aspect of sports games is the career mode. I haven't bought Madden in about two years because of the lack of additions to Superstar Mode. MLB 10 was so glitch ridden that I lost enthusiasm when the contract negotiation bug occurred.

So my big question, what game should I go for? What career mode is the best? I don't have any current game so I'm really open to anything. I love the role playing aspects of the game, endorsements, customizing, contract negotiations. What would be the best?

I have a PS3 btw.

NBA 2k11. It is AMAZING. I don't even like the NBA and I am obsessed with the career mode in 2k11, called The Association. It has everything you want in a career mode.

Don't even bother with Madden or NCAA Football anymore, those games are so outdated and poorly designed because of lack of competition.

All League
    I hadn't bought Madden in a long time but last year I got Madden 11 for free on PS3....holy **** how could it be so much worse than it was in '07??? It is INCREDIBLY bad. I think I will pick up nba2k11 on your suggestion though :yes:

All Pro
    Astoria, can you talk a bit more about the mode on NBA 2K11? I've been turned off by some past NBA games (notably the inability to create a white guy or have long hair in the game, is rock and roll dead?) but I've heard a lot of things I like such as the endorsements and press conferences.

And Southside, I'm not soccer fan but I've heard great things about FIFA's mode. My only concern is it short? What makes it so great?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=JetFreak89;4069708]I hadn't bought Madden in a long time but last year I got Madden 11 for free on PS3....holy **** how could it be so much worse than it was in '07??? It is INCREDIBLY bad. I think I will pick up nba2k11 on your suggestion though :yes:[/QUOTE]

How did you get Madden for free?

[QUOTE=ChadOwnsBrady;4069712]Astoria, can you talk a bit more about the mode on NBA 2K11? I've been turned off by some past NBA games (notably the inability to create a white guy or have long hair in the game, is rock and roll dead?) but I've heard a lot of things I like such as the endorsements and press conferences.[/QUOTE]

I should clarify, NBA 2k11 actually has [I]multiple[/I] outstanding game modes. "The Association", which I referenced, is the GM-style manage an entire team through multiple seasons. That's what I originally thought you were talking about.

There is also a Be A Superstar individual career mode, which I think is what you mean instead, which is also very good. I haven't got as far into that mode yet because I've been obsessed with The Association mode, but as far as customizable options I don't think you'll be disappointed. It took me almost an hour to create my player because there were so many options. And as for out of the ordinary things like hairstyle, I remember there being some green/neon hair options and maybe some longer styles. Couldn't tell you for sure. Overall I think you'll be happy with the customization.

So far in that mode I'm still going through pre-draft drills to determine where I'll be drafted. It's nice that they don't gift you a roster spot wherever you want, like other games do. The drills are very challenging. I can't speak from experience as to the rest of that mode once I'm actually on a team, but from the reviews I've read it seems like an immersive mode with many of the things you mentioned.

Also as southside mentioned, FIFA would be my second recommendation for game to buy, but I'd recommend to wait for FIFA '12 on that one because they made HUGE improvements to both game modes and gameplay. It's an early favorite for Sports Game of the Year.

And speaking of which, back to NBA 2k11, it has received much acclaim as a potential Best Sports Game Ever. That's not best [I]basketball[/I] game ever, best sports game ever. So yeah, FIFA or NBA 2k11, can't go wrong. You'll certainly never be able to go back to Madden again.

All League
    [QUOTE=ChadOwnsBrady;4069715]How did you get Madden for free?[/QUOTE]

I guess it wasn't technically free but Sports Illustrated was doing a promo...get 6 months of issues for something like $35 and get a free copy Madden '11, it was still selling for over $50 at the time.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Astoria;4069739]I should clarify, NBA 2k11 actually has [I]multiple[/I] outstanding game modes. "The Association", which I referenced, is the GM-style manage an entire team through multiple seasons. That's what I originally thought you were talking about.

There is also a Be A Superstar individual career mode, which I think is what you mean instead, which is also very good. I haven't got as far into that mode yet because I've been obsessed with The Association mode, but as far as customizable options I don't think you'll be disappointed. It took me almost an hour to create my player because there were so many options. And as for out of the ordinary things like hairstyle, I remember there being some green/neon hair options and maybe some longer styles. Couldn't tell you for sure. Overall I think you'll be happy with the customization.

So far in that mode I'm still going through pre-draft drills to determine where I'll be drafted. It's nice that they don't gift you a roster spot wherever you want, like other games do. The drills are very challenging. I can't speak from experience as to the rest of that mode once I'm actually on a team, but from the reviews I've read it seems like an immersive mode with many of the things you mentioned.

Also as southside mentioned, FIFA would be my second recommendation for game to buy, but I'd recommend to wait for FIFA '12 on that one because they made HUGE improvements to both game modes and gameplay. It's an early favorite for Sports Game of the Year.

And speaking of which, back to NBA 2k11, it has received much acclaim as a potential Best Sports Game Ever. That's not best [I]basketball[/I] game ever, best sports game ever. So yeah, FIFA or NBA 2k11, can't go wrong. You'll certainly never be able to go back to Madden again.[/QUOTE]

I can get a used NBA copy for around 18 bucks on Amazon so I'll take a look at it. Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Practice Squad
    I Love MLB k11, it could be a little better but i like it.

NBA 2k11 is good but not many upgrades from last season.

The mother of all Career games is Football Manager or Worldwide Soccer Manager to the US market (11 in its current incarnation)

Its a Soccer game but you control every managerial aspect, if only they would make an NFL version of this i would wet myself.

All Pro
    I'm listening Ricard, go on. Features?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=ricard78;4069800]I Love MLB k11, it could be a little better but i like it.

[B]The mother of all Career games is Football Manager [/B]or Worldwide Soccer Manager to the US market (11 in its current incarnation)

Its a Soccer game but you control every managerial aspect, if only they would make an NFL version of this i would wet myself.[/QUOTE]

+1

[QUOTE=ChadOwnsBrady;4070205]I'm listening Ricard, go on. Features?[/QUOTE]

You'd have to be a real hard core soccer purist to enjoy the game and its a GM style career mode rather than a player career mode but its far and away the best GM style game ever. It actually used to be entirely text based and still the most popular way to play the game is with the 2d match engine. So no bells and whistles on the graphics side but as far as tactics, strategy, transfers and overall GM-Coach experience it blows every other game out of the water.

I'm not sure if it has a console version but even if it does it wouldn't make sense to get it. It's really a PC/Mac game.
    Last edited by The Turk; 07-27-2011 at 04:05 AM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=ricard78;4069800]I Love MLB k11, it could be a little better but i like it.

The mother of all Career games is Football Manager or Worldwide Soccer Manager to the US market (11 in its current incarnation)

Its a Soccer game but you control every managerial aspect, if only they would make an NFL version of this i would wet myself.[/QUOTE]

What are your opinions on MLB the Show?

Practice Squad
    I have not played The Show since 09, i think the Batting is easier than MLB 2k.

MLB 2K11 has a pretty ridiculous new batting feature but with a quick search of the net and you can change it back to classic batting.