Thread: Bachmann dodges personal questions

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

Bachmann dodges personal questions

www.northjersey.com/

Is Representative Bachmann correct, should questions regarding her family and business be 'off-limits'?

WASHINGTON Rep. Michele Bachmann took a day off the campaign trail Thursday to swing through Washington to vote against raising the nation's debt ceiling and again refuse to answer questions about her family's business and finances.

During a luncheon at the National Press Club, the Minnesota Republican faced queries about her husband Marcus Bachmann's Christian counseling clinic that attempts to turn gay patients straight, as well as her own beliefs on sexuality. With her husband sitting nearby, Bachmann said she expected scrutiny as a candidate, but questions about her family were off-limits.

"I'm running for the presidency of the United States. My husband is not running for the presidency. Neither are my children. Neither is our business," she said.

Bachmann, who is campaigning hard ahead of next month's debate and straw poll in Iowa, has steadfastly refused to discuss the family's business that has faced criticism from gay rights and other groups.

Asked to describe her beliefs on whether sexual orientation can be changed through therapy, Michele Bachmann said she loved her husband of 32 years and then said her husband was not a campaign issue.

She also faced questions about her call to abolish Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. The Washington Post reported this week that its analysis of her loan documents suggests her family used those federally subsidized programs in 2008 to save money in moving into a 5,200-square-foot golf course home.

A few weeks after her move, she used a House Financial Services Committee hearing to call for dismantling the two federal programs.

Responding to a question Thursday, she said: "Unlike all of you, who I'm sure paid cash for your homes, there are people out there like myself who actually have to go to a bank to get a mortgage. This is a problem: It's almost impossible to buy a home in this country today without the federal government being involved."

She added, "We need to get the federal government out of these programs."

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    www.northjersey.com/

Is Representative Bachmann correct, should questions regarding her family and business be 'off-limits'?
    Obama should've said the same thing.

I'm running for president. Bill Ayers is not. Jeremiah is not.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Obama should've said the same thing.

I'm running for president. Bill Ayers is not. Jeremiah is not.
    I was unaware that Bill Ayers or Jeremiah Wright were related to Obama.
    I would also question a relationship when a guy says "God Damn America" and the other guy ( a member of the Weather Underground) espoused murdering American citizens. They were his advisors.
    Nobody bothers Obama about Sasha or Malia. His wife has inserted herself into government programs and hence is fair game.
    Bachmann's family should be off limits as should any other politician's UNLESS they commit a crime - ala Billy Carter.