Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets believe James Jones has ability to be a top 5 receiver in football

Hes had the production of a #3 target, so him getting #1 money would be dumb. If we can get him for a reasonable contract, lets do it. We definitely need another WR and if hes cheaper than BE and we can still sign Cromartie I am in favor of it. Hes 27 years old, so him and Holmes both being young can be with Sanchez for a while.

Jones and Holmes on the outsides with J-Co in the slot and Keller at TE, would be awesome.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    He is nothing like Holmes. He is a pretty thick, possession guy who can get deep. Holmes is a scrawny, speed guy who runs great routes and uses his quickness to get open. Holmes could never make this play as most WR's can't.

(****ty quality)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc19m...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCnJpjj5jHk&NR=1
    YA?

Why don't you show the one where he drops a TD in the superbowl game? Jones is NOT deserving of the kind of money he wants. He's dropped just as many big game catches as he made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcThZvj1Iy0

Why do you Think Green Bay is letting him go??

Quote Originally Posted by HereComeTheJets View Post
    Lets be a little realistic here, James Jones wouldn't still be available on the open market if he had any type of potential to become a "top 5 WR". Before we compare the potential of James Jones to those of Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Reggie Wayne or even our very own Santonio Holmes... How about we see Jones put up more than 50 catches, 679 yards and 5 TD's during a single season (his career year). If Jones couldn't beat out WR's such as Donald Driver and Greg Jennings on the Packers depth charts, why should any of us feel that he a legit #1 WR? The man only has 13 career TD's after 4 years of playing time, even Braylon put up 16 TD's during his 3rd year with the Browns and believe me... Aaron Rodgers wasn't the QB in Cleveland. Nothing against Jones, but I'm already sick of hearing how he has so much potential when Braylon Edwards has done so much for our developing QB in Sanchez. Underrate our own player, just to overrate another player who you haven't seen play every Sunday. It's getting out of hand.
    bottom line is u need to start being realistic. the way it stands now we don't
    want Braylon and he's already thrown enough jabs at the Jets brass. I can sit here and name guys who had breakout seasons as soon as they switched teams in their 3rd, 4th, or even 5th seasons. It happens all the time. There's part of his game that is still raw but look at the plays he made in big games for the Packers last year ... this wasn't garbage time. That catch on the highlight video is with the game tied at 14 in a divisional playoff game, on the road, and that was a POOR ball thrown by Aaron Rodgers. JJ bailed him out ... look i'm not this kids agent so i could care less what any of you think of him ... teams out there think he's a #1 receivers ... some journalist received word the jets brass thinks he has top 5 ability in football ... none of that matters but if Braylon isn't around i don't see why taking a shot at this guy is so bad. We can't count on Braylon not abusing his power seeing as how Aso worked out for us cause we all know he felt slighted. And anyone who thinks Moss or Plaxico are a better bet than James Jones ...then i feel sorry for you. with the right team and system ... this kid could be a star. Mark could use a guy like this who can bail him out or even break a 6 yard hitch and turn it into a long TD.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    YA?

Why don't you show the one where he drops a TD in the superbowl game? Jones is NOT deserving of the kind of money he wants. He's dropped just as many big game catches as he made

Those things can be worked out. With more responsibility some players play more responsible. Should I search thru my archives of Braylon drops playing in our very uniform? I have quite a few and there just as bad. He made plays for them in every single big game they had last year. sure he dropped passes but that doesn't mean those things can't be worked out.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    with the right team and system ... this kid could be a star. Mark could use a guy like this who can bail him out or even break a 6 yard hitch and turn it into a long TD.
    Get out of here. C'mon.

You obviously don't know jack about Jones besides fanboy highlight videos on Youtube. Jones is talented. He's a worth #3, maybe #2. He's asking for #1 money. He's NOT THAT GOOD. He consistently makes mistakes

I don't hate Jones, but eff giving him starter money.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    I would take the WR from the Chargers Ledegee whats his name over Jones....jones is ok but drops too many balls...heck I would rather Randy Moss.

All League
    YA?

One don't we show the one's of Braylon dropping wide open TD's in the endzone against both the Dolphins and Falcons. Not saying the guy is perfect, but there is a lot of potential.

And who said Green Bay is letting him go, there is reports of them trying to re-sign him. The reason he isn't of higher priority to them is the fact they have so much WR depth already with Jennings, Driver, Jordy Nelson and just drafted Randall Cobb in the 2nd round. Also Aaron Rodgers has publicly campaigned for the Pack to re-sign him calling him their #1 priority.

bottom line is u need to start being realistic. the way it stands now we don't
    want Braylon and he's already thrown enough jabs at the Jets brass.
    What "jabs" are you referring to?

Please list them.

Thanks.

All Pro
    Those things can be worked out. With more responsibility some players play more responsible. Should I search thru my archives of Braylon drops playing in our very uniform? I have quite a few and there just as bad. He made plays for them in every single big game they had last year. sure he dropped passes but that doesn't mean those things can't be worked out.
    Who the hell cares about Braylon's drops. He wins games. Jones doesn't. Driver and Jennings have both been hurt over the last 3 years, And JONES STILL COULDN'T PASS JORDY NELSON on the depth chart.

We're talking about giving Jones 8-10 million a year. No way. He's not shown anything remotely close to consistent play on field to warrant that.

Jets Insider VIP
    HIs value is increasing as each day passes - because?
    The legend of James Jones seems to be growing with each passing day. "If" he straightens out the drops. What a dumb thing to say. If it started raining gold we'd all be rich. Who wants to find out if he'll straighten out (or not) on their team? There's a reason he's not number one at GB. When he does drop the ball it seems to be when it's a sure shot to the end zone, in an important game.

None of the WR's out there seem to be an upgrade over the 'issues' that Braylon supposedly has, character, locker room presence, dropping the ball which he seems to have stopped doing, even money. None of these guys will take much less than he would. I don't get the Jets thinking here.

Analyst on radio then said if James Jones straightens out his drops he's easily a Steve Smith (Panthers) type of guy.

I hope the Jets bag Jones within the next day or 2. Aaron Rodgers said before the superbowl the Packers used to watch film and be marveled at the fact he catches up to balls that look overthrown. Charles Woodson said prior to the superbowl that Jones destroys all their corners in practice and he's impossible to contain 1 on 1. A lot of teams are high on him and his value is increasing as each day that passes. Bring him in Tanny!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    One don't we show the one's of Braylon dropping wide open TD's in the endzone against both the Dolphins and Falcons. Not saying the guy is perfect, but there is a lot of potential..
    This isn't about Braylon. We're assessing whether Jones is worth paying. He wants big bucks. I like Jones OK. I do. But we could have Braylon back for the kind of money Jones wants.

All League
    Get out of here. C'mon.

You obviously don't know jack about Jones besides fanboy highlight videos on Youtube. Jones is talented. He's a worth #3, maybe #2. He's asking for #1 money. He's NOT THAT GOOD. He consistently makes mistakes

I don't hate Jones, but eff giving him starter money.
    Winning a Super Bowl can make him think that way as far as the money he should earn.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocajetfan68 View Post
    Winning a Super Bowl can make him think that way as far as the money he should earn.
    and woudn't you know it - he's still a FA. Rice is gone. Holmes paid. Even Jenkins got tapped by MIN. bloody Michael Jenkins. Chansi motherfcking stuckey got 3.5 mill from ARZ.

Yet Jones is still out there. So is M85. why? both are asking for starter money, and both have holes in their game. Why not bring Braylon back for that kind of doh. Cotch is better than both jones and M85
    Last edited by Paradis; 07-30-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Still waiting for that list, Ladainian.....

Lol at people saying that we shouldn't sign this Guy because he has a history of dropping balls and some of these same guys want to resign braylon who was forced out of Cleveland because he was mr. Stone hands.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Lol at people saying that we shouldn't sign this Guy because he has a history of dropping balls and some of these same guys want to resign braylon who was forced out of Cleveland because he was mr. Stone hands.

I know. Kind of like "Ignore the obvious for the not-so-obvious".

Both guys have history of the Dropsies. Difference though is BRAYLON IS BETTER, PERIOD.

Braylon is, IMO, a #2 Receiver....Hands down. JJ is barely a #3.

I'd rather offer BE what the Jets would offer JJ.....

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I know. Kind of like "Ignore the obvious for the not-so-obvious".

Both guys have history of the Dropsies. Difference though is BRAYLON IS BETTER, PERIOD.

Braylon is, IMO, a #2 Receiver....Hands down. JJ is barely a #3.

I'd rather offer BE what the Jets would offer JJ.....
    Edwards biggest development was seen last year a contract year. Just think some fear he may revert to his previous play. Not saying he will but when you pay a guy #1 money you want to think he is all in. Jets have payed guy's in the same situation in the past and have come to regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bocajetfan68 View Post
    Edwards biggest development was seen last year a contract year. Just think some fear he may revert to his previous play. Not saying he will but when you pay a guy #1 money you want to think he is all in. Jets have payed guy's in the same situation in the past and have come to regret it.
    I can see what you're saying...However I think it's unfair to take such a view on someone who really had no reason to be motivated in his previous place of employment(Cleveland).

It's not like he was on a Playoff team or something....

You can't judge a person based on how he reacts in a NEGATIVE environment.

Look, if we can't sign Braylon Edwards... I'm all for James Jones, but not with a contract that's worth #1 or even #2 WR money. He's never been anything more than a 3rd WR option for Rodgers and the Packers, therefore he deserves to be paid accordingly. As a slot WR. He shouldn't get paid for "potential" when we aren't drafting the man. Honestly, he shouldn't even get paid more than what we've paid Jerricho Cotchery over the years. His best season was last year, where he put up 50, 679 and 5. Jerricho Cotchery has 4 seasons with better numbers than the career year just put up by Jones. Notably in 06 where Jerricho put up 82 catches, 961 yards and 6 TD's. Don't forget 07 either, where Cotchery put up 82, 1,130 and 2 TD's. Jones doesn't deserve #1 money, he doesn't even deserve #2 WR money. How about you earn it first.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I can see what you're saying...However I think it's unfair to take such a view on someone who really had no reason to be motivated in his previous place of employment(Cleveland).

It's not like he was on a Playoff team or something....

You can't judge a person based on how he reacts in a NEGATIVE environment.
    May not be fair but when you add in his DWI and how he was most likely given some conduct expectations when he was brought in, it might be more understandable. Becomes a risk reward issue and risk might be to high.