Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A record 45.8 million American using food stamps

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

A record 45.8 million American using food stamps

[URL="http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-a-record-458-million-american-using-food-stamps-20110805,0,6178100.story"]http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-a-record-458-million-american-using-food-stamps-20110805,0,6178100.story[/URL]

[QUOTE]
    Nearly 15 percent of the U.S. population relied on food stamps in May, according to the United States Department of Agriculture.
    The number of Americans using the government's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) -- more commonly referred to as food stamps -- shot to an all-time high of 45.8 million in May, the USDA reported. That's up 12% from a year ago, and 34% higher than two years ago.

The program provides monthly benefits to low-income individuals and families, which they can use at stores that accept SNAP benefits.

To qualify for food stamps, an individual's income can't exceed $1,174 a month or $14,088 a year -- an amount that is 130 percent of the national poverty level.

The average food stamp benefit was $133.80 per person and $283.65 per household in May.

The highest concentration of food stamp users were in California, Florida, New York and Texas -- where more than 3 million residents in each state received food stamps in May.
    [/QUOTE]

[quote]That's up 12% from a year ago, and 34% higher than two years ago.[/quote]

Bottom Line: The longer Obama is in the White House the worse the US economy gets and the more Americans starve! :mad:

:jets17

That's change we can believe in.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;4095465]Bottom Line: The longer Obama is in the White House the worse the US economy gets and the more Americans starve! :mad:

:jets17[/QUOTE]

I read it as the libs PUSHING DOWN entitlements. They want poor people...they can't lead self respinsible people.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4095532]I read it as the libs PUSHING DOWN entitlements. They want poor people...they can't lead self respinsible people.[/QUOTE]

You people really say some dumb crap sometimes.

"Everyone who is on welfare [B]WANTS[/B] to stay on welfare!!! They love it!! I collected welfare when I was younger and am the [B]ONLY[/B] person to ever receive it and then go on to work a full time job. Everyone who collects TANF now, loves it loves it loves it and will NEVER stop benefits. And that's because I, and I alone, have the most bestest work ethic in the entire country"

google "D-SNAP"

the rate of food stamp participation is high right now because of emergency disaster benefits, especially Alabama. (A RED STATE)

in fact if you take Alabama out of the equation, the % of people on food stamps went down, month over month.

assuming no further disasters, the rate should go down by the end of the year.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4095546]You people really say some dumb crap sometimes.

"Everyone who is on welfare [B]WANTS[/B] to stay on welfare!!! They love it!! I collected welfare when I was younger and am the [B]ONLY[/B] person to ever receive it and then go on to work a full time job. Everyone who collects TANF now, loves it loves it loves it and will NEVER stop benefits. And that's because I, and I alone, have the most bestest work ethic in the entire country"[/QUOTE]

compassion only comes into play when we discuss the unfair taxes on the millionaires....

And most are buying booze and smokes.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4095586]google "D-SNAP"

the rate of food stamp participation is high right now because of emergency disaster benefits, especially Alabama. (A RED STATE)

in fact if you take Alabama out of the equation, the % of people on food stamps went down, month over month.

assuming no further disasters, the rate should go down by the end of the year.[/QUOTE]

What disaster happened in Alabama?

"""Nearly 15 percent of the U.S. population relied on food stamps in May,"""

Bullsh*t. Use maybe, but rely? Get real. Huge scam.

[QUOTE=pauliec;4095614]What disaster happened in Alabama?[/QUOTE]

[url]http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/05/madison_county_tornado_victims_1.html[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    So long as at least 51% of the country is being bribed with government programs and "freebies" (which aren't free of course) liberals will always have a strong chance at being elected.

The worst thing in the world for Democrats would be if the whole country was working and didn't need government assistance. Like a drug dealer, they need to keep a huge part of the population hooked and have little interest in truly helping people pull themselves out of difficult times and becoming responsible for themselves.

Help those who can't help themselves, not those who won't!

Here's a timely headline:

The state of Michigan is kicking [B]30,000 students[/B] students off of food stamps.

[url]http://detnews.com/article/20110808/POLITICS02/108080356/30-000-college-students-kicked-out-of-food-aid-program-in-Michigan[/url]

How the f*ck did 30,000 students get on food stamps to begin with?

The prevailing mindset is even more disheartening than the fraud.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4095546]You people really say some dumb crap sometimes.

"Everyone who is on welfare [B]WANTS[/B] to stay on welfare!!! They love it!! I collected welfare when I was younger and am the [B]ONLY[/B] person to ever receive it and then go on to work a full time job. Everyone who collects TANF now, loves it loves it loves it and will NEVER stop benefits. And that's because I, and I alone, have the most bestest work ethic in the entire country"[/QUOTE]

I guarantee you , with no question, I was poorer than you and worked my way off it (welfare, single mom high school drop out, free lunch etc...). You and I are examples (I think) of what should happen. yet as acountry, we have generations of people on public assistance, public housing etc.

I worked in fast food to get off assistance. All good things that changed my life happened while at work...the people you meet who become mentors AT WORK.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sackdance;4095748]How the f*ck did 30,000 students get on food stamps to begin with? [/QUOTE]

According to the article, because Michigan changed the laws to allow them to.

[QUOTE=CPA]I guarantee you , with no question, I was poorer than you and worked my way off it ....[/QUOTE]

<sigh>

And you're the ONLY person to have ever done that? So...ALL the people on TANF now are just milking the system. NONE of them have as much promise as you did when you were a "lad"? :rolleyes: C'mon, bro...you're not that extraordinary. I've seen the majority of people in my companies programs do that. I've seen people with severe developmental disabilities do it with no help from anyone in their family. I've seen single moms do it and go to school simultaneously and end up with really good jobs on the other side. It happens...ALL THE TIME.

For the record, I've never collected a penny from welfare, TANF, rent assistance, unemployment, medicaid. I've worked full time since I was 13. 40 hrs a week, every week, for the past 21 years...even when I was in jail, lol.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4095863]According to the article, because Michigan changed the laws to allow them to.

<sigh>

And you're the ONLY person to have ever done that? So...ALL the people on TANF now are just milking the system. NONE of them have as much promise as you did when you were a "lad"? :rolleyes: C'mon, bro...you're not that extraordinary. I've seen the majority of people in my companies programs do that. I've seen people with severe developmental disabilities do it with no help from anyone in their family. I've seen single moms do it and go to school simultaneously and end up with really good jobs on the other side. It happens...ALL THE TIME.

For the record, I've never collected a penny from welfare, TANF, rent assistance, unemployment, medicaid. I've worked full time since I was 13. 40 hrs a week, every week, for the past 21 years...even when I was in jail, lol.[/QUOTE]

I applaud this.

I agree. I am NOT extraordinary. If a knucklehead like me can do it..anyone can. yet we hears stories over and over about moms teaching their kids how to collect. Hell..we had ACORN doing it!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4095880]Hell..we had ACORN doing it![/QUOTE]

LMFAO!!!! :D

All League
    the fact is 15% of Americans have income that does not exceed $1,174 a month or $14,088 a year.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buster;4095912]the fact is 15% of Americans have income that does not exceed $1,174 a month or $14,088 a year.[/QUOTE]

Poverty has been that way since 1965 so what is your point?

All League
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4095916]Poverty has been that way since 1965 so what is your point?[/QUOTE]

Time to raise taxes