Thread: Dr. Bernadine Healy- R.I.P.

Jets Insider VIP

Dr. Bernadine Healy- R.I.P.

I was deeply saddened to find out today that Dr. Bernadine Healy, the first woman to head-up the NIH, died today from recurrent brain cancer. She was a strongly-principled physician who always advocated for her patients. She provided a pragmatic voice for research, treatment and healthcare policies. Her common-sense approach to autism causation research is mind-numbingly ignored for the most part, 3+ years later. R.I.P. and condolences to her family.

[quote]GATES MILLS, Ohio -- Dr. Bernadine P. Healy, 67, a leading health crusader, died Saturday from complications of cancer, the funeral home confirmed.
    The outspoken physician was the first woman to head the National Institutes of Health. She also headed the Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health, American Heart Association and American Red Cross.
    Healy was a health commentator for CBS News and PBS-TV and columnist for U.S. News and World Report. She wrote or co-wrote more than 220 scholarly papers and authored two books, including a chronicle of her brain cancer, which first struck in 1996.
    The tall, trim, blue-eyed Healy would often say that a problem "gets my Irish up." She clashed with many foes, from Congressman John Dingell to Nobel laureate James Watson.
    In 1994, she badly lost a U.S. Senate Republican primary to Lt. Gov. Mike DeWine, the pick of party leaders. In 2001, she was forced out of the Red Cross for publicizing a relief fund for the Sept. 11 attacks without highlighting that it would help victims of other disasters as well.
    E. Gordon Gee, Ohio State's president, told The Plain Dealer in 2001, "Bernadine would be the first to admit she may go straight to the problem without going around the bush and making everyone feel as good as they should, but she's a change agent. ... She challenged the system. She was a warrior."
    Healy once told an NIH interviewer, "I never compromised my core beliefs, never wobbled on what I believed to be the right."
    Her husband, Fred "Floyd" Loop, who led the Cleveland Clinic from 1989 to 2004, told The Washington Post in 2001, "She does not back down. She's a fighter. I don't have any problem with her, but I could be in the minority."
    Healy could comfort as well as fight. In 2000, during a lesson on preparing for emergencies, she crouched besides desks at Cleveland's Woodland Hills school and comforted second-graders upset by recent home fires.
    Mary-Alice Frank, who leads the Red Cross in Cleveland, recalled, "Her ability to connect with and comfort them touched the other adults in the room."
    Avery Comarow, U.S. News' health rankings editor, expected Healy to email the column. Instead, she worked at the magazine's D.C. office full-time until last year, when the cancer recurred. "She dived into this trade with as much enthusiasm and energy as I've heard she's applied to everything in her life," said Comarow. "She was just irresistible. She was almost always right and she knew when to pick her fights." Healy researched heart attacks and other cardiovascular problems, especially in women. Despite a penchant for privacy, she revealed her cancer in a column "I'm Still Here!" and a 2007 book, "Living Time: Faith and Facts to Transform Your Cancer Journey."
    She used to tell medical students, "Sooner or later, we are all patients. Don't get too smug."
    Healy was the second of four girls raised in the New York City borough of Queens. Her parents lost their own fathers young and ran a small perfume business in the family's basement.
    Bernadine wanted at first to be a nun but switched at age 12 to medicine. With her parents' encouragement, she became valedictorian of the magnet Hunter College High School in Manhattan, graduated with highest honors at Vassar College, earned a medical degree at Harvard and completed her training at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.
    She spent two years at the National Institutes of Health, then returned to Hopkins as a professor. She became assistant dean of the medical school and director of its hospital's Coronary Care Unit.
    In 1984, President Reagan made her deputy director of the White House Office of Science and Policy. She was also chair of the Cabinet Working Group on Biotechnology and executive secretary of the Science Council's Panel on the Health of Universities.The Clinic's Floyd Loop became intrigued from afar and negotiated with her to arrange a meeting--a dinner after an event they both attended. Healy later told The Plain Dealer it was love at first sight. "He's a man who knows how to love."
    They wed in 1985, a second marriage for both.
    Healy left the White House to direct the Clinic's Research Institute. Loop often carried her books on the way to work. She led nine departments, helped them more than double in size and expanded their quarters. The couple had 46 acres in Gates Mills and a second home in Florida. Loop's mother joined them in Gates Mills for her final years.
    In 1991, the first President Bush named her director of the National Institutes of Health, then plagued by departures and bias complaints.
    "Things are so bad," she joked, "some have said they couldn't even get a man to be NIH director."
    She pushed a controversial reorganization and the institutes' first strategic planning. She started an award program to keep talented scientists at work between grants. She denied funding to clinical trials that needlessly excluded either gender. She brought the National Institutes of Mental Health and other behavioral institutes back into hers.
    She also started an Institute for Nursing Research and a Women's Health Initiative, a long-term study of 150,000 women, the biggest number ever for medical research. The study's results included a surprise: Combined hormone replacement seemed to raise the risk of heart attacks and strokes.
    She met resistance. Nobelist Watson quit as head of the institutes' Human Genome Project and blamed Healy for "micromanaging." After a Congressional hearing, the Republican Healy blasted the Democratic Dingell for "abuses of power" and a "brutish" staff.
    President Clinton did not reappoint her. A year later, she campaigned as more conservative than DeWine. She finished second, with 32 percent of the vote, outpolling State. Sen. Eugene Watts.
    In 1995, Healy became medical dean at Ohio State. She led development of a public health school, a heart and lung institute, a musculoskeltal institute, and an orthopedics department. She helped the college become a national Center of Excellence in Women's Health.
    "Bernadine worked tirelessly to raise the quality of the college to new heights, to recruit some of the finest faculty and researchers to be found anywhere in the world, and to put the health and well-being of the people of Ohio and the nation at the forefront of this great university," said Ohio State's then president, William Kirwan.
    In 1998, Healy started doubling as the unpaid president of the American Heart Association. She initiated programs for women and minorities.
    That same year, she had a seizure. Soon brain surgery and chemotherapy followed for an apparently malignant tumor.
    In 1999, she took over the American Red Cross, succeeding the much-praised Elizabeth Dole and an interim president, Steve Bullock, who'd led the Cleveland chapter. She worked to improve blood services, staff development, recruitment and relief alliances in Africa, India and Turkey. She withheld aid to the International Red Cross to protest its exclusion of an Israeli relief group.
    As The Plain Dealer reported in 2002, "Her hard-nosed style clashed with the sluggish and conservative Red Cross culture and its 50-member board of governors."
    On Sept. 11, 2001, Healy sprang into well-publicized action.
    "We knew this is what we had to do," she told The Washington Post a month later.
    That night, she supervised relief efforts outside a burning Pentagon. Over the next three days, she collected blood at the White House, took supplies to New York's Ground Zero the third day and visited Shanksville, Pa. She also taped appeals for blood and for donations to a new Liberty Fund, approved by her board after the fact.
    Complaints slowly spread that the fund would not be restricted to victims of 9/11. The board restricted the fund and pressured her to leave. She took $1.9 million in salary and settlements.
    The board's problems had just begun. Healy's next two successors left quickly under pressure over other issues, including a relationship with a subordinate.
    Healy volunteered as a Harvard University overseer, Vassar trustee, president of the American Federation of Clinical Research and member of selective medical groups.
    She had two daughters, Bartlett by a first marriage and Marie with Loop.[/quote]

[url]http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ssf/2011/08/bernadine_p_healy_outspoken_ad.html[/url]

Please take the time to watch the video. It makes so much sense it is depressing that nothing has been done:

[url]http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4088138n[/url]
    Last edited by Jetworks; 08-08-2011 at 06:17 PM.

:pray:

:jets17

I know this one hits home for you JW...

May she R.I.P.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;4096818]:pray:

:jets17[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4096915]I know this one hits home for you JW...

May she R.I.P.[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys, appreciate the sentiments. She offered many families like mine a ray of hope.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4096915]I know this one hits home for you JW...

May she R.I.P.[/QUOTE]

+1

-

May Dr Healy rest in peace. And not to hijack this thread but last week doctors announced the results of
    a test on where they treated 3 patients with cancer. 2 were cured and 1 is doing well. They were able to extract white blood cells from the patients and train them to kill cancer cells. I think they did it with a virus. It was only 3 patients but it apparently created a buzz in the medical community.
    The Fu(ked up thing about this study is not only did the pharmaceutical companies refuse to fund it, the NIH refused to fund it as well. It eventually got funded by parents of a child who died from leukemia.
    I'm on my phone in tapatalk so I can't supply the link but a quick google search should bring it up.
    I know it was only 3 ppl but this story should be all over the place.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Sparky24;4102415]May Dr Healy rest in peace. And not to hijack this thread but last week doctors announced the results of
    a test on where they treated 3 patients with cancer. 2 were cured and 1 is doing well. They were able to extract white blood cells from the patients and train them to kill cancer cells. I think they did it with a virus. It was only 3 patients but it apparently created a buzz in the medical community.
    The Fu(ked up thing about this study is not only did the pharmaceutical companies refuse to fund it, the NIH refused to fund it as well. It eventually got funded by parents of a child who died from leukemia.
    I'm on my phone in tapatalk so I can't supply the link but a quick google search should bring it up.
    I know it was only 3 ppl but this story should be all over the place.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://abcnews.go.com/Health/breakthrough-cancer-docs-abuzz-lymphoma-treatment/story?id=14283544[/url]

-