Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean Energy Is Booming And Creating Jobs

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

Clean Energy Is Booming And Creating Jobs

[URL="http://idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/08/clean-energy-is-booming-and-creating-jobs.php"]http://idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/08/clean-energy-is-booming-and-creating-jobs.php[/URL]

great news!

[QUOTE]

Clean energy is now creating more jobs for the energy produced than coal or natural gas, and solar energy is the fastest growing industry in the United States, according to industry and academic sources.

Solar energy alone employed 93,502 American jobs in 2010 and could grow from 25,000-50,000 this year, economy willing.

Solar also is producing more jobs than any other energy source, and could generate four million jobs by 2030.

Fifty percent of solar firms expect to be adding jobs this year in the teeth of the recession.

The Solar Energy Industries Association, the industry's trade association, said that in the last three years "the U.S. solar industry has gone from a start-up to a major industry that is creating well-paying jobs and growing the economy in all 50 states.

"Solar's robust growth in the past years has been the result of a very favorable combination of new, innovative business models, affordability for consumers, rapidly decreasing manufacturing costs and most importantly a strong commitment from the Obama administration and other policymakers in Washington," the industry report concluded.

In the first quarter of this year, the solar industry installed 252 megawatts of electric capacity, an increase of 66 percent from last year. There are now almost 3,000 megawatts of solar electric power in the U.S, enough to power 600,000 homes. Production of panels went up almost a third.

The average solar installation firm employes eight workers, the average manufacturing firm employs 24 solar workers. The average utility employes four, according to the job census.

That sunny picture was confirmed by two academic studies.

The Solar Foundation, a non-profit, non-lobbying group, and Cornell University reported in the National Solar Jobs Census 2011, that photovoltaic installations grew at a rate of 61 percent between 2006 and 2009.

Researchers at the University of California at Berkeley, collating research from 15 job studies, concluded that photovoltaic technology produces more jobs per unit of electricity than any other energy source.

Most of the jobs are in construction and installation of solar facilities and can't be outsourced to other countries.

"Through replacing outdated infrastructure and developing better energy conservation and production practices a foundation is built for future domestic stability," the Berkeley group said.

Some of the stimulus is coming from government contracts.

The Department of Veterans Affairs will install solar panels at five VA hospitals and already has awarded $78 million in contracts; the Department of Energy has loan guarantees for solar projects which alone would create 26,000 jobs; the Department of the Interior has approved permits for projects which will power more than 730,000 homes, and the Department of Agriculture is now providing benefits for ranchers and farmers go to solar.

According to Rhone Resch of the industry's association, the industry goal is to install 10 gigawatts annual by 2015, adding enough power for 2 million homes a year.

Joel N. Shurkin is an author and freelance writer in Baltimore, MD. He is the author of nine books, which include: Invisible Fire, The Eradication of Smallpox; Engines Of The Mind, A History Of The Computer; Terman's Kids, The Groundbreaking Study Of How The Gifted Grow Up; and Broken Genius, The Rise And Fall of William Shockley

[/QUOTE]

It will grow faster when we can manufacture the products here

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4100237]It will grow faster when we can manufacture the products here[/QUOTE]

Which I'd never do at the tax rates and under the regulations (EPA and other) that my business would be subjected to. But kudos for clean energy. I look forward to seeing wind turbines arriving here soon from China.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 08-11-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Yup thats where GE sent the Jobs. BTW Minnesota is trying to get them banned. A giant waste of money! Another government bust!

[QUOTE=MnJetFan;4101162]Yup thats where GE sent the Jobs. BTW Minnesota is trying to get them banned. A giant waste of money! Another government bust![/QUOTE]

Doesn't Imelt work for Obama?

from the other side, an interesting article how natural gas is kinda looking "enron-y"

they are drilling to keep the leases not to make money

[url]http://www.citypaper.net/news/2011-08-11-geologist-arthur-berman-natural-gas.html[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE]according to industry and academic sources.[/QUOTE]

Wait, this is from the clean energy industry itself [I]AND[/I] academic sources?? Well then by golly it's [I]GOT[/I] to be true!!!

[QUOTE=bitonti;4101196]from the other side, an interesting article how natural gas is kinda looking "enron-y"

[url]http://www.citypaper.net/news/2011-08-11-geologist-arthur-berman-natural-gas.html[/url][/QUOTE]

They have to drill or they lose the lease. Government Mandate!

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4101169]Doesn't Imelt work for Obama?[/QUOTE]

Jobs Secretary! But Obama is for the working man even its the chinese working man!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;4101196]from the other side, an interesting article how natural gas is kinda looking "enron-y"

[url]http://www.citypaper.net/news/2011-08-11-geologist-arthur-berman-natural-gas.html[/url][/QUOTE]

It's good for T Boone Pickins and nobody else.

On a side note, after spending alot of summer in upstate NY and PA, the method of extracting natural gas (Fracking) get's alot of attention because it is polluting the ground water.

More examples of how behind the federal government is on most things.

[QUOTE=Piper;4103504]It's good for T Boone Pickins and nobody else.

On a side note, after spending alot of summer in upstate NY and PA, the method of extracting natural gas (Fracking) get's alot of attention because it is polluting the ground water.

More examples of how behind the federal government is on most things.[/QUOTE]
    Pickins was fooled into buying this crap. He was misled and is now trying to sell his snake oil so he can get into batteries.

Don't go for natural gas. It is a short term winner and along term loser. Even the short term is not that good.

Batteries will rule

2007:

Democratic Presidential hopeful Barack Obama today sought to spark a debate that he hopes will generate more light than heat: phase out the old-fashioned incandescent light bulb by 2014.

The idea comes as part of Obamaís comprehensive energy strategy unveiled today in New Hampshire. Itís a dossier that would do Al Gore proud ó thick with proposals that he says would cut greenhouse emissions by the carbon load. The light bulb measure alone, Obama insists, would save American consumers $6 billion a year on their electric bills and would save some 88 billion kilowatt hours of electricity per year.

[url]http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2007/10/obama-on-light-/[/url]

2009:

President Obama on Monday announced new federal efforts to promote energy efficiency in the United States, through stricter standards on fluorescent and incandescent light and other measures.

"I know light bulbs might not seem sexy," Mr. Obama said, "but this simple action holds enormous promise because 7 percent of all energy consumed in America is used to light our homes and our businesses."

"Secretary Chu is already taking a look at our light bulbs," he said.

Energy Secretary Steve Chu will also expand and accelerate the deployment of energy efficient technologies in new buildings, something that the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act began, the president said.

"One of the fastsest, easiest and cheapest ways to make our economy stronger and cleaner is to make our economy more energy efficient," he said.

[url]http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-5122470-503544.html[/url]

And finally, 2011:

The Obama Administration's support of a ban on the traditional light bulb - in the name of the global warming religion - has come at the cost of hundreds of American jobs from Virginia to Kentucky as manufactures have shut down plants and shipped jobs to China in order to produce more expensive CFL replacements (compact fluorescents cost ten times as much as 40 cent incandescents).

"The last major GE factory making ordinary incandescent light bulbs in the United States is closing, " reported the Washington Post in December. "Now what're we going to do?" said Toby Savolainen, 49, who joined 200 fellow workers in the unemployment line.

From The Detroit News: [url]http://detnews.com/article/20110710/MIVIEW/107100320/Payne--Obama-s-War-on-Jobs#ixzz1X6YBhDkT[/url]

[IMG]http://thepeoplescube.com/images/Biofuels_160.png[/IMG]

There would also be a need for a whole new infrastructure if we went to natural gas. That is why it is 'Enron-y'. Too costly

Bio-fuels have a way of competing with food that people need to eat.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4129104]Bio-fuels have a way of competing with food that people need to eat.[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

Gotta keep the high fructose corn syrup running...

Good lord. If there were to suddenly end, there would be hordes of sweatpants-wearing, obese Americans tearing down the front door of fast food joints across the country like a scene from George A. Romero flick....

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4129156]Indeed.

Gotta keep the high fructose corn syrup running...

Good lord. If there were to suddenly end, there would be hordes of sweatpants-wearing, obese Americans tearing down the front door of fast food joints across the country like a scene from George A. Romero flick....[/QUOTE]

I'm on a road trip through Maryland and Virginia...they are already here. Over taking cracker barrels at every exit. Spandex and cellulose...everywhere.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4129296]I'm on a road trip through Maryland and Virginia...they are already here. Over taking cracker barrels at every exit. [/QUOTE]

I highly recommend the catfish.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4129156]Indeed.

Gotta keep the [B]high fructose corn syrup running[/B]...

Good lord. If there were to suddenly end, there would be hordes of sweatpants-wearing, obese Americans tearing down the front door of fast food joints across the country like a scene from George A. Romero flick....[/QUOTE]

LMAO, I think that has [I]almost[/I] as much mercury in it as those "green" CFLs.:eek:

This may come off as somewhat naive, but aren't these "new jobs" just shifts in employment for the most part? I mean, you may need some specialized folks to do some new eco-techno stuff, but mostly it would just be people transitioning within the industry, no?

That, plus there are the people that get forced out as their current job becomes non-existent or cost prohibitive as Frequent Flyer pointed out.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4129505]LMAO, I think that has [I]almost[/I] as much mercury in it as those "green" CFLs.:eek:[/QUOTE]

But corn syrup has killed millions more than mercury :P

FWIW...maybe they should've replaced Thermerisol with corn syrup "back in the day" :D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4129508]But corn syrup has killed millions more than mercury :P

FWIW...maybe they should've replaced Thermerisol with corn syrup "back in the day" :D[/QUOTE]

Amen bro, Amen. Monsanto et al, might be the only entity on the planet worse than Big Pharma.