Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to camp on Saturday, what time is best to get there?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Going to camp on Saturday, what time is best to get there?

Camp starts at 2:15, Jets shop opens at 1... I read today that over 2000 people showed up to camp, which sounds like a lot for a Thursday. If I get there at 1 on Saturday is that too late? Are there limited places to stand and watch? How early is too early?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4100532]Camp starts at 2:15, Jets shop opens at 1... I read today that over 2000 people showed up to camp, which sounds like a lot for a Thursday. If I get there at 1 on Saturday is that too late? Are there limited places to stand and watch? How early is too early?[/QUOTE]

Here's the deal:

1. Get there at 1pm on the dot so you're guaranteed a spot in the lot. Bring a couple of folding chairs with you.

2. Wait for a shuttle van to pick you up. You cut the line of people queuing in front who walked that way and get right in.

3. Once inside at 1:10 you're in an area with the merchandise tent, the inflatable play area, and the food stand. Walk over to the Jets security guard by the gate that leads to the 3 fields and ask her which field they'll be practicing on. Should be the farthest one away, but just confirm.

4. Get your buddy to wait on the line that's forming by the gate so you'll be amongst the first to sprint down to the 20 yard line of that farthest practice field. You and he can trade off for the 30 minutes wait so you each can shop or eat.

5. At 1:45 they open the gate, so walk briskly to the far field. Open up your two folding chairs and put them right up against the fence at one of the 20 yard lines. This way, not only do you get a place to sit while you wait for the team to come out but it boxes out those who are going to try to squeeze into your space to see the players. You want the 20 because all the action takes place in the endzones. Defenses and offenses work there. On the 50, all you get to see are the coaches milling about. Note that only the 2 EZ's and the 1 Sideline are available. There are no seats, just a fence to lean on. Don't forget the folding chairs.

6. Every 20 minutes a horn will sound and the players will rotate stations. If you choose an area of the field where the backup D is, don't worry- in a few minutes the horn will sound and the first team O will come out. They do that for the fans.

7. It's HOT out there and you're 1/3 a mile from the concession stand. Bring a lot of beverages.

Have fun.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 08-11-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4100532]Camp starts at 2:15, Jets shop opens at 1... I read today that over 2000 people showed up to camp, which sounds like a lot for a Thursday. If I get there at 1 on Saturday is that too late? Are there limited places to stand and watch? How early is too early?[/QUOTE]i'll meet ya there pauley ! ;)

p.s. you're buyin' the beer ;)
    [img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eSxF4Et6FME/SKZ4gqNY0GI/AAAAAAAAAfw/3ZihLqWcshE/s400/DSCN1518.JPG[/img]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kelly;4100560]i'll meet ya there pauley ! ;)

p.s. you're buyin' the beer ;)
    [img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eSxF4Et6FME/SKZ4gqNY0GI/AAAAAAAAAfw/3ZihLqWcshE/s400/DSCN1518.JPG[/img][/QUOTE]NO deal ? ? :confused:

ok , . .
    how 'bout this ---> [url]http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/185249_2118977708021_1653147470_2106970_939322_n.jpg[/url]

cool ?
    :cool:

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kelly;4100571]NO deal ? ? :confused:

ok , . .
    how 'bout this ---> [url]http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/185249_2118977708021_1653147470_2106970_939322_n.jpg[/url]

cool ?
    :cool:[/QUOTE]

That's the same picture, idiot.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4100555]Here's the deal:

1. Get there at 1pm on the dot so you're guaranteed a spot in the lot. Bring a couple of folding chairs with you.

2. Wait for a shuttle van to pick you up. You cut the line of people queuing in front who walked that way and get right in.

3. Once inside at 1:10 you're in an area with the merchandise tent, the inflatable play area, and the food stand. Walk over to the Jets security guard by the gate that leads to the 3 fields and ask her which field they'll be practicing on. Should be the farthest one away, but just confirm.

4. Get your buddy to wait on the line that's forming by the gate so you'll be amongst the first to sprint down to the 20 yard line of that farthest practice field. You and he can trade off for the 30 minutes wait so you each can shop or eat.

5. At 1:45 they open the gate, so walk briskly to the far field. Open up your two folding chairs and put them right up against the fence at one of the 20 yard lines. This way, not only do you get a place to sit while you wait for the team to come out but it boxes out those who are going to try to squeeze into your space to see the players. You want the 20 because all the action takes place in the endzones. Defenses and offenses work there. On the 50, all you get to see are the coaches milling about. Note that only the 2 EZ's and the 1 Sideline are available. There are no seats, just a fence to lean on. Don't forget the folding chairs.

6. Every 20 minutes a horn will sound and the players will rotate stations. If you choose an area of the field where the backup D is, don't worry- in a few minutes the horn will sound and the first team O will come out. They do that for the fans.

7. It's HOT out there and you're 1/3 a mile from the concession stand. Bring a lot of beverages.

Have fun.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Perfect, thanks very much. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4100594]That's the same picture, idiot.[/QUOTE]no it's not.
    seriously , take a closer look ;)

p.s. hint ; look just to the left of the glass of beer :yes:

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    SAR,

where can you go to get autographs? i bought my little brother the 'Duke" and he wants the "2011 Superbowl Champs" signatures, I told him that its unlikely for him to get more than one or two, but he'd probably be fine if he can get Sanchez', does he sign any?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mark TJ Sanchez;4101011]SAR,

where can you go to get autographs? i bought my little brother the 'Duke" and he wants the "2011 Superbowl Champs" signatures, I told him that its unlikely for him to get more than one or two, but he'd probably be fine if he can get Sanchez', does he sign any?[/QUOTE]

After the practice ends, the players come over. From my recollection, they will come over to the fence area. The later you get, the further back from the fence you will be (three or more people deep, Saturday will be a lot more folks than yesterday which had almost 2800). I think kids get the preferential treatment and for the most part I believe a particular group, ie OL, TE will sign on a particular day. I would suggest being closer to the building where they come out from!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mark TJ Sanchez;4101011]SAR,

where can you go to get autographs? i bought my little brother the 'Duke" and he wants the "2011 Superbowl Champs" signatures, I told him that its unlikely for him to get more than one or two, but he'd probably be fine if he can get Sanchez', does he sign any?[/QUOTE]

The players sign autographs for a few brief moments after practice is over. As far as Sanchez, it's luck of the draw. If he's in the far endzone (closest to the building) he's going to run over to the endzone fence over there, sign a few, and then bolt for the showers. If he's in the near endzone (where you first approach Field 3) then he'll sign a few over in that corner and then sprint for the showers.

Also, if you're not right up against the fence you can forget autographs. Fans were piled 3 or 4 deep and no one behind us could get close to the fence to see a player. Get there early, wait in the line by the iron gate, and sprint for a spot along the fence near the 10 or 20 yard line by the far endzone by the building. That's your best chance of getting an autograph.

SAR I

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    And they allow you to bring chairs, eh? Like folding beach chairs?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4101178]And they allow you to bring chairs, eh? Like folding beach chairs?[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.asia.ru/images/target/photo/50199119/Folding_Chair.jpg[/IMG]

Yes, were a bunch of them there. People brought umbrellas too.

If you don't own them, get a couple of these from Target. Eventually you'll have kids and these are the soccer dad's paradise. The ones shown are basic, get the ones with cupholders and armrests. They fold very compactly and you can carry them over the shoulder very easily.

The reason for the chairs:

1. You have to wait for 30 minutes by the iron gate and another 30 minutes once you're out on the field holding your fence position.

2. Once practice starts, the people behind you lurking suddenly squirm up and will eventually push you aside and eat up your space.

3. If you're waiting for autographs, that's 3 hours or so standing along a fence which can be tiring.

4. Sitting down with one's iPad is a great way to keep JI in the loop on your Florham Park adventures.

This way, you sit for that hour and then when you decide to stand your chair's width is a nice barrier to keep the squeezing burping farters away. Remember, chairs right up to the fence. When you're sitting, your knees should be squished against it.

Give us a full report tomorrow, take some good photos.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 08-12-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4101253][IMG]http://www.asia.ru/images/target/photo/50199119/Folding_Chair.jpg[/IMG]

If you don't own them, get a couple of these from Target. Eventually you'll have kids and these are the soccer dad's paradise. The ones shown are basic, get the ones with cupholders and armrests. They fold very compactly and you can carry them over the shoulder very easily.

1. You have to wait for 30 minutes by the iron gate and another 30 minutes once you're out on the field holding your fence position.

2. Once practice starts, the people behind you lurking suddenly squirm up and will eventually push you aside and eat up your space.

3. If you're waiting for autographs, that's 3 hours or so standing along a fence which can be tiring.

4. Sitting down with one's iPad is a great way to keep JI in the loop on your Florham Park adventures.

This way, you sit for that hour and then when you decide to stand your chair's width is a nice barrier to keep the squeezing burping farters away. Remember, chairs right up to the fence. When you're sitting, your knees should be squished against it.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Good stuff. I'll have to pick up some of those chairs tonight or dig old beach chairs out of the attic. I'll definitely bring my camera. Good idea on the iPad too.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4101253][IMG]http://www.asia.ru/images/target/photo/50199119/Folding_Chair.jpg[/IMG]

SAR I[/QUOTE]

SAR, To the best of my recollection, you have kids, probably a little older than mine (3 and 6), did you bring them to camp with you? If so, did you feel that you would have been better going to camp alone?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frankiepapa;4101361]SAR, To the best of my recollection, you have kids, probably a little older than mine (3 and 6), did you bring them to camp with you? If so, did you feel that you would have been better going to camp alone?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I brought them and we lasted an hour by the fence in the blistering 95 degree heat/humidity before leaving. My 13 year old would have been fine for a bit longer, but even my 10 year old diehard Jets fan boy wanted to go home despite being 10 yards from Ladanian Tomlinson and Mark Sanchez. My 7 year old daughter whined so much that another family lent us an umbrella to cower under so she would shut up and play Angry Birds on my iPhone.

Looking at tomorrow's weather and knowing what I know from last week, sadly, my advice to you is to leave the little ones at home and go with a bro.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4101375]Yes, I brought them and we lasted an hour by the fence in the blistering 95 degree heat/humidity before leaving. My 13 year old would have been fine for a bit longer, but even my 10 year old diehard Jets fan boy wanted to go home despite being 10 yards from Ladanian Tomlinson and Mark Sanchez. My 7 year old daughter whined so much that another family lent us an umbrella to cower under so she would shut up and play Angry Birds on my iPhone.

Looking at tomorrow's weather and knowing what I know from last week, sadly, my advice to you is to leave the little ones at home and go with a bro.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

No, we went yesterday and although the weather was as good as it has been for camp, it was a big mistake..actually lasted 1:45 which was good but next year they stay home!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4101178]And they allow you to bring chairs, eh? Like folding beach chairs?[/QUOTE]pauliec , hi :wavey:
    just bring YOUR chair ---> [url]http://site.unbeatablesale.com/img002/lod001.jpg[/url]

cheers ~ ~
    :beers:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frankiepapa;4101361]SAR, To the best of my recollection, you have kids, probably a little older than mine (3 and 6), did you bring them to camp with you? If so, did you feel that you would have been better going to camp alone?[/QUOTE]

Don't bring the kids! HUGE mistake. The kids always force the parents to leave early. An example of this mistake. Today, a guy put his little kid on his shoulders. The guy had his camera in his hands and was taking pictures. The kid decided to move while on his shoulders and the kid fell off his shoulders and landed on his head and back; we all heard a boom; cried up a storm while his dad was yelling at him "see what happens when you don't listen and you move". I have no idea how the kid didn't snap his neck.

If you have VIP passes on the field, it's even worse. I'm not even sure you want to bring your wife unless she's a trooper. Saw a lot of wives getting fed up standing in one place. Bringing your mistress could also be risky with athletes around.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 08-12-2011 at 11:34 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bring sunscreen

I got beasted by the sun today

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and make sure you wear a light t-shirt. Don't be stylin' a jersey with a shirt underneath or anything layered. Way too hot to deal with the sticky sweaty situation an authentic jersey can bring.

Also, bring a cap you don't care about because you're going to sweat right through it.

SAR I