Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Backup QB

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Backup QB

For those going out to camp, how does Brunnell look, also curious about the depth at QB, how are McElroy and Willy looking?

I'd like to see him retire and the Jets make a play for a QB who can maybe even fill a role like Brad Smith does.

If players like Dennis Dixon and the kid from Minnesota, Joe Webb, break free...

A player that I would even like the Jets to consider, in the supplemental if he makes himself eligible? Terrell Pryor.

We need a player maker at QB behind Sanchez, I hope this is something Tanny may have up his sleeve.

What about Troy Smith, why not bring him in, I think he would be a good fit on the team and depth at QB who can run the wildcat?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    2nd year in a row people are complaining about this. Brunnel is the backup QB. Unless he gets injured, that's not going to change. The team is more than satisfied with him as the backup.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4100618]2nd year in a row people are complaining about this. Brunnel is the backup QB. Unless he gets injured, that's not going to change. The team is more than satisfied with him as the backup.[/QUOTE]

I'm not complaining, and I was one of the few that supported the move to bring Brunnell in last year.

I'm concerned about the depth beyond Brunnel, because it isn't much and it is raw.

I'm also concerned about his age and how much he has left.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4100619]I'm not complaining, and I was one of the few that supported the move to bring Brunnell in last year.

I'm concerned about the depth beyond Brunnel, because it isn't much and it is raw.

I'm also concerned about his age and how much he has left.[/QUOTE]

So you want to cut the most experienced player, complaining that the rest of our backups are too raw, and add more rawness?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4100623]So you want to cut the most experienced player, complaining that the rest of our backups are too raw, and add more rawness?[/QUOTE]

Players like Dixon and Troy Smith have some experience.

In the other examples, I am thinking Brad Smith replacement.

Rebuttal noted, experience would still be a concern, just not sure Brunnell is the QB to carry this team if needed.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4100625]Players like Dixon and Troy Smith have some experience.

In the other examples, I am thinking Brad Smith replacement.

Rebuttal noted, experience would still be a concern, just not sure Brunnell is the QB to carry this team if needed.[/QUOTE]

The team runs through Sanchez. If he goes down (please god no, I pray not) it doesn't matter who else is at the helm.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brad Smith was NO quarterback

he was a very good kick returner who will be kneeling for touchbacks 80 percent of time for the Bills as he would have been for us

also a mediocre receiver with aligator arms

as a passer..... lets talk about his running because his passing attempts were just dreadful

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4100631]The team runs through Sanchez. If he goes down (please god no, I pray not) it doesn't matter who else is at the helm.[/QUOTE]

No ****, doesn't mean we shouldn't be concerned about depth and talent at the position.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    you know I love ya, ray

but

Sanchez (third year), Brunell and McElroy (possible upside)

is vastly better than

Sanchez (second year), Brunell and Clemens (proven disaster)

not everybody can be as supah dupah sensational as the Pats with Matt Hoyer and Bryant Mallet, after all

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4100692]you know I love ya, ray

but

is vastly better than

not everybody can be as supah dupah sensational as the Pats with Matt Hoyer and Bryant Mallet, after all[/QUOTE]

They already made mention of Matt Cassell/Hoyer last night on either ESPN or NFL Network.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4100631]The team runs through Sanchez. If he goes down (please god no, I pray not) it doesn't matter who else is at the helm.[/QUOTE]

Not always the case..the Cowboys actually played better after ROMO went down. However, the law of averages is with you. That said, the OP was really addressing a 3rd string. If we use a 3rd string..... there absolutely is no post season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4100692]you know I love ya, ray

but

is vastly better than

not everybody can be as supah dupah sensational as the Pats with Matt Hoyer and Bryant Mallet, after all[/QUOTE]

McElroy wore black cleats with black soxes dude is gonna be a bad ass :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4100702]Not always the case..the Cowboys actually played better after ROMO went down. However, the law of averages is with you. That said, the OP was really addressing a 3rd string. [B]If we use a 3rd string..... there absolutely is no post season[/B].[/QUOTE]

Once upon a time there was a QB that had 2 QB's(Tony Banks and Steve Bono) ahead of him named Kurt Warner.. He did pretty well.. Of course that happens around every 2,000 years or so..:P

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4100720]Once upon a time there was a QB that had 2 QB's(Tony Banks and Steve Bono) ahead of him named Kurt Warner.. He did pretty well.. Of course that happens around every 2,000 years or so..:P[/QUOTE]

You had me at once upon a time....;)