Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logan Mankins highest paid interior lineman in NFL

JetsInsider.com Legend

Logan Mankins highest paid interior lineman in NFL

$51M with $30M guaranteed for an OG? Averages $8.5M per year according to sources making him highest paid interior lineman in the NFL.

Isnt that like LT or C type money?

Good for Mankins. Too bad for the Pats.

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4100622]Good for Mankins. Too bad for the Pats.[/QUOTE]

How is it too bad for the Pats? He's the best guard in the NFL, now locked in for several years. Too bad for New Jersey is more like it. ;)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Dalai Lama;4100626]How is it too bad for the Pats? He's the best guard in the NFL, now locked in for several years. Too bad for New Jersey is more like it. ;)[/QUOTE]

================================================

It's bad in the sense, that this is as an abnormally large contract for the position Mankins plays.

Mankins is a top guard no doubt, but the Pats should expect to be questioned over this move. Irregardless of what Mankins has said about Kraft.

[QUOTE=Dalai Lama;4100626]How is it too bad for the Pats? He's the best guard in the NFL, now locked in for several years. Too bad for New Jersey is more like it. ;)[/QUOTE]

When was the last time they paid anyone like that besides Brady? And he's not the best guard in the league. Josh Sitton, Carl Nicks and Jahri Evans are all better than mankins.

Hell I'd venture Brandon Moore is better than that overpaid guy. Runblocking is better and more cost effective

All Pro
    didnt mangold do a 7yr 55mill

Jets Insider VIP
    not even in the top 5 of NFL Guards

and NO NFL Guard is in the top 8 of NFL Offensive Lineman

because he is a Cheatriot, he is TOP 5 in NFL "overrated by the media" though

[QUOTE=sg3;4100647]not even in the top 5 of NFL Guards

and NO NFL Guard is in the top 8 of NFL Offensive Lineman

because he is a Cheatriot, he is TOP 5 in NFL "overrated by the media" though[/QUOTE]

I've got to give you credit, I'd probably be too embarrassed to keep coming back to the board if I made statements like this constantly.:eek:

the Pasts* had an 8-1 record without Mankins last year.

it's not like they dramatically improved after he came back, and Mankins certainly didn't help them win in the playoffs.

great job by the Pasts* making a non-essential player the highest paid in the league :zzz: :zzz:

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;4100738]the Pasts* had an 8-1 record without Mankins last year.

it's not like they dramatically improved after he came back, and Mankins certainly didn't help them win in the playoffs.

great job by the Pasts* making a non-essential player the highest paid in the league :zzz: :zzz:[/QUOTE]

just goes to show you how much they fear losing their most experienced brady protector.

Veteran
    There are plenty of things to kill the Pats over, but I really don't think this is one of them. Mankins is an awesome, awesome player and there was never really a doubt he'd end up as the highest paid player at his position. He's as essential to that OL as Mangold is to the Jets.

[QUOTE=njherdfan;4100754]There are plenty of things to kill the Pats over, but I really don't think this is one of them. Mankins is an awesome, awesome player and there was never really a doubt he'd end up as the highest paid player at his position. He's as essential to that OL as Mangold is to the Jets.[/QUOTE]

Which is why they went 8-1 without him, and couldn't win a playoff game with him?

No one is denying he's good -- and be honest, what else would you expect a Jets site to do but TRASH a NE move? But in reality it IS more $$ than he probably deserved (relative to other OGs) . . .

yey who cares about Logan Gaykins

[QUOTE=njherdfan;4100754]There are plenty of things to kill the Pats over, but I really don't think this is one of them. Mankins is an awesome, awesome player and there was never really a doubt he'd end up as the highest paid player at his position. He's as essential to that OL as Mangold is to the Jets.[/QUOTE]

THIS^

He's the anchor on that OL and so he got paid. Brady is by far their #1 asset so they went all out to protect him. I fail to see how that's a stretch. They have the cap space, esp. after getting Fat Albert and 85 to take a team friendly haircut. Wilfork anchors the DL and he's also paid at the top of his position, so it's not unprecedented.

[QUOTE=gunnails;4100629]================================================

It's bad in the sense, that this is as an abnormally large contract for the position Mankins plays.

Mankins is a top guard no doubt, but the Pats should expect to be questioned over this move. Irregardless of what Mankins has said about Kraft.[/QUOTE]

Abnormally large? I don't have the numbers in front of me but is Mankins' deal really all that far off from the contracts the Saints gave Evans and the Jets gave Mangold?

i dont think it's a mistake to overpay interior linemen, if the player is special. that team without Mankins is drastically different.

Did the Pats overpay for Mankins? Maybe. But you guys didn't seem to care when the Jets clearly overpaid for Holmes giving him $10 million a year and the highest guarantee money for any WR in the NFL eventhough he clearly isn't a top 3 WR in the league. Mankins is clearly a top 3 guard in the NFL, possibly #1.

Yes, the Pats were 6-1 (not 8-1 since he played 9 games in the regular season last year) with out him, but the offense exploded after he returned. It was a better offense with him. It was still a great offense without him, but an even better offense with him.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

If the Pats wanted him for the long term (and the reality is that they most certainly did) then they were going to have to shell out big bucks. He was not coming back for any type of discount and his market value was very very high.

Was it this high? I dunno, but it was close enough not to make much of a difference. If he stays healthy and performs, it was a good move by the Pats.

This would have been taken care of last year if ego and emotion didn't get in the way.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Rob0729;4100818]Did the Pats overpay for Mankins? Maybe. But you guys didn't seem to care when the Jets clearly overpaid for Holmes giving him $10 million a year and the highest guarantee money for any WR in the NFL eventhough he clearly isn't a top 3 WR in the league. Mankins is clearly a top 3 guard in the NFL, possibly #1.

Yes, the Pats were 6-1 (not 8-1 since he played 9 games in the regular season last year) with out him, but the offense exploded after he returned. It was a better offense with him. It was still a great offense without him, but an even better offense with him.[/QUOTE]

Difference is is that the Pats had Mankins under their control so they did not NEED to give him a long term deal. The Jets had to come up with an oil package for Holmes or he'd go elsewhere. So, did they overpay? Sure, relative to what other WRs currently get, sure. But, he was the top WR on the Market, so if they wanted to get him, they needed to pay him what they paid.

But once you are looking at the big dollars, does it really matter? The guaranteed money all comes in the first 3 years. Holmes is going to collect that money regardless, as is Mankins (absent something catostrophic).